Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone develop Blackberry apps?

Options
  • 12-01-2013 7:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭

Hi,

does anyone write apps for Blackberry?

I've written some for Android and used RIMs porting tool to port the apps over to blackberrys OS. Its actually quite. Its an eclipse plugin, and once its setup, its about 3 clicks and you have it ported. Very easy.

Unfortunately, however, since its so easy, a lot of unscrupulous people have taken APKs that they did not own, and converted them over. There's even an online convertor if you dont have eclipse!!

Additionally, RIM are always doing these events whereby they reward devs for making apps for their platform. Case in point, I got a free tablet off them for porting a single app. And the app isnt even that good! There was another one recently if you ported over a game, be it android, or HTML5 or whatever, they'd pay $100 per app, and if you ported 3, they'd give you a tablet. 5, and they'd give u a phone and tablet. This is in addition to the $100 per app.

They have one going on currently, that finishes tonight. Its less glamorous as it "only" offers $100 per app. No phone or tablets this time unfortunately. ;)

Anyway, I had a few apps lying around that I said I'd run through the wizard and upload for some easy cash. I uploaded 3 last night.

I went on the Blackberry App World this morning to see if they were available. I did a search and actually found 2 of my apps......but they were not uploaded by me!! Some knacker had taken my APKs, converted them, and uploaded them. One of them was for a paid app as well!!

I assume these were uploaded as part of one of RIMs events and probably saw them getting a few hundred $$$'s out of it, and maybe even a tablet. A bit lousy, if you ask me. But some people are just like that.

So, I went looking around for a "Report" button on the App World. There's none. After a lot of searching, I found a site that explains what you have to do. Its a pretty convoluted process, compared to having a "Report" button. Link is here: How to Report Copyright and Trademark Violations on BlackBerry App World.

The effort of this, and its ruined me Saturday afternoon.

So, if anyone writes apps for Blackberry, just be aware of this. The main culprit is an organisation called Handster, who are owned by the Opera Store, the same crowd who own the browser. They allow people to submit apps, which will be sold under the Handster name, so it can't be traced back to them easily.

I reckon these shenanigans will stop in a few weeks when BB10 is out, but while RIM are doing these reward programs, I suspect it'll entice the underbelly of the internet out, so keep an eye out for them, and watch your apps!!

Advertisement