Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cannot Connect WIFI Laptop

Options
  • 12-01-2013 8:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭

I have just got UPC broadband installed and can get WIFI cinnection to all other devices Ipod, PlaySTATION, Laptops but cannot get connection to my main laptop that I ned it for.

I can still connect to the VODAFONE router as this is still working and will be for the next day or so. I can connect to the new UPC router using a cable on my main laptop and can still get WIFI connection with VODAFONE ?

The UPC Icon is coming up and I enter the password but I get message to say try the router and disconnect e.t.c .. ?

I have limited knowledge on this stuff but I have connected all other devices OK ? Any ideas ?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

The password is incorrect, or it isnt set to wpa2. Password is all caps also

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭exador

Password is correct OK.. I have already connected two other laptops and two ipods ...USED CAPS ok

Problem is on my main laptop... I can still connect WIFI to VODAFONE and can input the UPC password..correctly in caps... but cannot connect ?

Davy wrote: »
    The password is incorrect, or it isnt set to wpa2. Password is all caps also

What is wpa2 ? Maybe this is the problem ? Is this something i need to do on laptop

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

Check underneath the modem and it should say something like WEP or WPA2, when connecting the laptop and typing in your password check that the correct is one is connected

WPA 2 - and then the password. This is the same password I used for all other devices and they are all working. Could it be a security issue on the laptop ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Nino Brown

May not be the problem here, but I've seen a similar problem before. Have you changed the encryption key from the default. I had a laptop before that wouldn't connect to wifi because the first character of the encryption key was changed to a "0". Xbox and phones all connected no problem, but the laptop didn't like the "0", so changed it again and everything worked fine.

It will connect to VODAFONE WIFI but not UPC ?

I have typed in the password in CAPS and is 100% but not connecting..

Nino Brown wrote: »
    May not be the problem here, but I've seen a similar problem before. Have you changed the encryption key from the default. I had a laptop before that wouldn't connect to wifi because the first character of the encryption key was changed to a "0". Xbox and phones all connected no problem, but the laptop didn't like the "0", so changed it again and everything worked fine.

Where is encryption key ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Nino Brown

exador wrote: »
    Where is encryption key ?

It's the code beside the picture of the lock on the bottom of the modem/router, but if you haven't changed it that shouldn't be your problem.

Nino Brown wrote: »
    It's the code beside the picture of the lock on the bottom of the modem/router, but if you haven't changed it that shouldn't be your problem.

If this is WPA 2 number then I have input this as its first time to connect to UPC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dzer2

Have you tried uninstalling the vodafone modem then try connecting to the new one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Is it a new or old laptop? If its an old one maybe it doesn't support the wifi security that's on the router.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,333 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

had that problem before. you might have to sacrifice your level of security to get legacy compatibility

Overheal wrote: »
    had that problem before. you might have to sacrifice your level of security to get legacy compatibility

It is a company laptop and I can access work server. There are a lot of security programmes installed so maybe this is the issue ? Is there anything I can do on the laptop to check ?

I can connect to VODAFONE Router WIFI no problem and I can also connect to new UPC router with a cable but just not through WIFI ? Could this still be a security issue even though I can connect to the VODAFONE router ?

As I said originally I have a basic understanding of how this works.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,333 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

exador wrote: »
    It is a company laptop and I can access work server. There are a lot of security programmes installed so maybe this is the issue ? Is there anything I can do on the laptop to check ?

I can connect to VODAFONE Router WIFI no problem and I can also connect to new UPC router with a cable but just not through WIFI ? Could this still be a security issue even though I can connect to the VODAFONE router ?

As I said originally I have a basic understanding of how this works.

You can find plenty of info on ask.com that isn't very technical, or wikipedia, but basically WPA was 'retired' as a standard in 2006 for WPA2, and these replaced WEP after they found irreparable security flaws with it.

They are security protocols: ways that your devices talk to one another. Imagine two secret agents meeting at a park bench and exchanging pass phrases, one agent says "The daffodils are lovely in spring" and the other agent says something like "They aren't as soft as a chicken". Older security did dumb things, like broadcast the network's name and wireless password effectively in the open ("Hi I'm Bob's laptop and I'm trying to connect to Linksys2 the Password is PinkLady7"), meaning even if you hid the network, someone can still technically snoop it out and figure out your password. If they're looking.

There are plenty of other technical aspects to the newer security, but it requires gadgets that know how to speak the language.

It's easy enough to determine what security types a wifi connection has. a freeware program called InSSIDer will let you take a really good look at your local wifi traffic, including what level of security those networks are using.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Update the driver for your network card. This should resolve the issue.

Overheal wrote: »
    You can find plenty of info on ask.com that isn't very technical, or wikipedia, but basically WPA was 'retired' as a standard in 2006 for WPA2, and these replaced WEP after they found irreparable security flaws with it.

They are security protocols: ways that your devices talk to one another. Imagine two secret agents meeting at a park bench and exchanging pass phrases, one agent says "The daffodils are lovely in spring" and the other agent says something like "They aren't as soft as a chicken". Older security did dumb things, like broadcast the network's name and wireless password effectively in the open ("Hi I'm Bob's laptop and I'm trying to connect to Linksys2 the Password is PinkLady7"), meaning even if you hid the network, someone can still technically snoop it out and figure out your password. If they're looking.

There are plenty of other technical aspects to the newer security, but it requires gadgets that know how to speak the language.

It's easy enough to determine what security types a wifi connection has. a freeware program called InSSIDer will let you take a really good look at your local wifi traffic, including what level of security those networks are using.

Thanks for the help. I will let you know how I get on.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

If it is Vista make sure windows is up to date. Vista pre SP2 (I think) has issues with WPA/WPA2 authentication which could relate to your issue

Nick

Advertisement