Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gearbox/motor problem

• 12-01-2013 8:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭

My g36 has upgraded metal gears, it began to seize on semi auto as if the motor was not strong enough to compress the spring . I put in a high torque motor and it worked again for awhile, then began seizing again. I can hear it de-compressing when I pull the motor out , and now the pinion gear on the motor is damaged . Has anybody esle had this problem and solved it ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭Just a Plinker

Did you reshim the gears correctly when you put it back together mate

My g36 has upgraded metal gears, it began to seize on semi auto as if the motor was not strong enough to compress the spring . I put in a high torque motor and it worked again for awhile, then began seizing again. I can hear it de-compressing when I pull the motor out , and now the pinion gear on the motor is damaged . Has anybody esle had this problem and solved it ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Southern Dandy

Best thing you can do is strip it down, inspect it, and piece it back together carefully. Your going to need a new pinion, possibly a new bevel gear, have a look at the AR latch and make sure the spring is there and correctly fitted.

If your not confident bring it a retailer to get it fixed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭The...Machine

The gearbox was done before I bought it, and worked fine for awhile, so I was hoping it was just something like the motor adjustment screw was screwed in too much/too little. I guess I better take it apart to see whats going on inside, I'll let ye know how I get on ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Southern Dandy

The gearbox was done before I bought it, and worked fine for awhile, so I was hoping it was just something like the motor adjustment screw was screwed in too much/too little. I guess I better take it apart to see whats going on inside, I'll let ye know how I get on ;)

If the motor was set too high you would know it, makes a screeching sound, too low it just does not sound right. You will always know if it is set correctly by the sound.

Best of luck with it anyways.

Opened gearbox last night, it looks to me like one of the systema upgraded gears has filed a little off the inside of the gearbox shell , there was some little fragments of shell inside so I'm wondering if I clean everything and re-grease would it be ok ? when I just spin the gears in the shell now it sounds ok as if its worn itself in . The systema gears show no sign of any wear and I have a brand new pinion gear for the motor , is there anything else I should check before reassembly ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Private Snafu

Check your bearings/bushing for signs of failure, also redo the shimming. The gears shouldn't rub off the gearbox shell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Orkfield

Opened gearbox last night, it looks to me like one of the systema upgraded gears has filed a little off the inside of the gearbox shell , there was some little fragments of shell inside so I'm wondering if I clean everything and re-grease would it be ok ? when I just spin the gears in the shell now it sounds ok as if its worn itself in . The systema gears show no sign of any wear and I have a brand new pinion gear for the motor , is there anything else I should check before reassembly ?
    When you say " systema upgraded gears" do you mean that you are using the systema high speed helical gear set?

Check your bearings/bushing for signs of failure, also redo the shimming. The gears shouldn't rub off the gearbox shell.

The bearings are perfect, I have now spotted thats its the tapped plate is damaged , there is a slight grove worn into it where it meets the cam on the gear , and it must be acting like a wedge and seizing the gearbox, and pushing the gear a little to one side.. I've order a new tappet plate , hopfully this will do the trick.

Orkfield wrote: »
    When you say " systema upgraded gears" do you mean that you are using the systema high speed helical gear set?
    Not exactly sure as they were fitted before I owned it. I was told they are from a systema steel gear tune up kit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,746 ✭✭✭DeBurca

The bearings are perfect, I have now spotted thats its the tapped plate is damaged , there is a slight grove worn into it where it meets the cam on the gear , and it must be acting like a wedge and seizing the gearbox, and pushing the gear a little to one side.. I've order a new tappet plate , hopfully this will do the trick.

There is no way that a plastic tappet plate should be capable of pushing a gear to one side in a properly shimmed gearbox

I also find it very hard to believe that a worn tappet plate would seize the gearbox as I would expect a plastic tappet plate to break under the strain
    I have seen many broken tappet plates and they nearly always go in the same place just where the plate narrows as it fit around the Sector gear

I also agree with Luca that you need to redo the shimming as in a properly shimmed gearbox there should be no way that the gears should be able to come in contact with the gearbox shell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Rooky1

I agree with Private Snafu and Deburca.
    You would want too check your gears again as well.
    Systema gears are a very nice gear set when shimmed correctly, but are prone too damage easily if not. If they have rubbed off the gearbox shell they may have been damaged.
    Systema gears are not the hardest made gears.
    The helical ones are even more sensitive too correct shimming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 769 ✭✭✭AirsoftEire.com

I can hear it de-compressing when I pull the motor out

Just on that note, check your anti-reversal latch spring also. I see these break/become slackened in V3s all the time.

Will do, thanks.

Just on that note, check your anti-reversal latch spring also. I see these break/become slackened in V3s all the time.

Spot on, the anti-reversal latch spring was actually missing about 2mm in lenght that must have broken off, so it was'nt holding the latch in place. I managed to uncoil it a little bit to lenghten it and its now working perfectly :)

Advertisement