Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying Jodphurs

Options
  • 12-01-2013 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭

First of all, I'd like to thank Christmas for sponsoring this thread! I need new jodphurs thank to the weight I've put on :(

I've had a look across websites etc for jods, so I know the price range I'm looking at (it's been years since I bought jods, when did they get so expensive?!), just wondering if anyone had any tips for brick and mortar places in South Dublin/Wicklow area that do some good deals? As I'd like to buy them asap because the ones I have are way too tight :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭ilovemarmite

I really like tri equestrian's own brand turfmasters jods, comfy, last well, good for everyday riding. They have a sale on at the moment too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

I only buy jodhpurs under severe pressure to do so. Convert saw me last week wearing a four year old pair which I bought for 14 euro and have to haul onto my legs as they are at least a size too small. They are full of rips and pulls from four seasons hunting. lovely.

So I am of absolutely no help. The TRI ones are alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Ah_Yeah

fits wrote: »
    I only buy jodhpurs under severe pressure to do so. Convert saw me last week wearing a four year old pair which I bought for 14 euro and have to haul onto my legs as they are at least a size too small. They are full of rips and pulls from four seasons hunting. lovely.

So I am of absolutely no help. The TRI ones are alright.

Haha, I am the same!
    I have 3 pairs of jods at present that arent childs jods (I'm quite small framed and have only needed adults jods recently). One pair are my favourite and fit only ok, the other two are yellow and white, and I want to really keep them clean!

TRI it is!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

I don't know when I last bought a piar of jods. Pretty much all of my jodhphurs, including the ones fits saw me in, don't fasten properly. But because I wear them so infrequently, and because my jacket will cover them, I keep insisting that I will get away with it until they won't fasten at all.... I think my aunt bought me the pair I'm currently wearing at least four years ago, probably more! Clearly I spend a lot of money on my riding clothes. The horses' gear is actually newer than mine (bar my new helmet) :rolleyes:

I generally just ride in skinny jeans now, which I pick up in Penneys for 8 euro!

Let me know how you get on with the jods in TRI, as I'm going to have to get some new ones pretty soon :(

convert wrote: »
    I don't know when I last bought a piar of jods. Pretty much all of my jodhphurs, including the ones fits saw me in, don't fasten properly. But because I wear them so infrequently, and because my jacket will cover them, I keep insisting that I will get away with it until they won't fasten at all.... I think my aunt bought me the pair I'm currently wearing at least four years ago, probably more! Clearly I spend a lot of money on my riding clothes. The horses' gear is actually newer than mine (bar my new helmet) :rolleyes:

I generally just ride in skinny jeans now, which I pick up in Penneys for 8 euro!

Let me know how you get on with the jods in TRI, as I'm going to have to get some new ones pretty soon :(

I used to ride in skinny jeans for years, but I actually found a huge difference in the movement I get from them, they are much less stretchy than the jods!

Will definitely let you know how I get on, TRI are having a sale now too so I think I'll go ahead and order them :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Yeah, there's absolutely no give in them, but I suppose I'm lucky in that I'm generally just riding exercise (either on gallops or out for a hack), so I don't need something that allows for 'proper' movement in the saddle at the moment. It also probably accounts for why I've ripped about 3 pairs in rather embarassing places (and no, it has absolutely nothing to do with my, erm, change in muscle shape! :o:p)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭marley123

Try Boswell in Ashford, I have to say Im part of the Skinny Jean brigade - picked up couple of pairs in Dunnes in Diff colours... I HATE the way Jods make an average sized bum look big, lol:D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

lol! What are we like???

(you looked perfectly fine Convert :D)

I have resolved never to hunt in those breeches again.

This is off topic but we really should all look into having a meet up down the line! Somewhere like Bel Air or something :)

Good idea Ah Yeah, maybe we could all go on one of their ride outs. I think several of us here are in South Dub/Wicklow area so good place to go. I know someone who rides there and she said their horses are really good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭mariannewims

Some of the larger Tesco stores sell jodhs, limited colours but cheap as chips and actually very comfortable and durable for general riding and messing about the yard. GEC Equestrian on facebook have some decent prices so could be worth looking at what jodhs they have.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭FueledByAisling

bought 2 pairs of TRI turfmasters for around 35ish on sale and love them!

Apart from those, my other jods are 8yo and still running!

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭silverfox88

i wear leggings a lot of the time, not at the moment though cos its tooooo cooooollllddd!!! if you can get them the best jodhpurs i have ever had are made by fouganza, i bought them in france and im not sure if they ship to ireland.. i have several pairs and they are unbelievably comfortable and pretty cheap! big fan of tally-ho jodhpurs, not sure you can buy them in actual shops here anymore but you can get them from a couple of irish online shops. turfmasters ones are grand but the vanity in me finds them v unflattering!! i actually bought the best things ive had in a while from penneys for 8 euro - kind of light jodhpur material skinny jeans - i have a beige pair i use for competitions because i HATE beige/white jodhpurs - they are MEAN in the bum region - and i always wanted a pair with pockets on the back and the only brands that seem to do them are kingsland etc which cost about as much a week's livery!!! they're a nice compromise between trying to find jodhpurs and riding in jeans! (which i used to do a lot but cant go back to now, too restricting!)

i wear leggings a lot of the time, not at the moment though cos its tooooo cooooollllddd!!! if you can get them the best jodhpurs i have ever had are made by fouganza, i bought them in france and im not sure if they ship to ireland.. i have several pairs and they are unbelievably comfortable and pretty cheap! big fan of tally-ho jodhpurs, not sure you can buy them in actual shops here anymore but you can get them from a couple of irish online shops. turfmasters ones are grand but the vanity in me finds them v unflattering!! i actually bought the best things ive had in a while from penneys for 8 euro - kind of light jodhpur material skinny jeans - i have a beige pair i use for competitions because i HATE beige/white jodhpurs - they are MEAN in the bum region - and i always wanted a pair with pockets on the back and the only brands that seem to do them are kingsland etc which cost about as much a week's livery!!! they're a nice compromise between trying to find jodhpurs and riding in jeans! (which i used to do a lot but cant go back to now, too restricting!)

Great tip on the Penneys ones - pretty sure I own a pair in black but I like wearing them to work so would never wear them riding, I'll pick up a few more pairs methinks! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22 starpixie72

I wear jods from time to time but find leggings or jeggings great and much better value.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Dark Phoenix

the shires saddle hugger ones are nice and not too expensive. If your short get the kids ones - same size as adults but with shorter leg (and cheaper :))

The tri turfmaster ones are not bad. The killeen water proof ones are amazing but they are expensive - bout 65 euro - worth it though in Irish weather as they really are wind proof and the thermal lining is so warm.

If you are near kildare the homestead sale is a good place for cheap jods. I got two pairs for ten euro - one was a caldene pair so decent brand and at ten euro it was a great bargain

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭ems_12

As Silverfox88 recommended already, I love the Fouganza brand - it's actually the Decathalon line, unsure if there's a Decathalon down south but there's a good equestrian section in the Belfast store - just follow signs for city airport and drive past the airport to the next junction, it's right next to the IKEA :D
    I have three pairs of the two-colour breeches now, they're so comfy for day to day riding/stable work. They also do more competition type wear. You can always check out the range online and phone ahead to make sure they have what you are interested in.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭silverfox88

ems_12 wrote: »
    As Silverfox88 recommended already, I love the Fouganza brand - it's actually the Decathalon line, unsure if there's a Decathalon down south but there's a good equestrian section in the Belfast store - just follow signs for city airport and drive past the airport to the next junction, it's right next to the IKEA :D
    I have three pairs of the two-colour breeches now, they're so comfy for day to day riding/stable work. They also do more competition type wear. You can always check out the range online and phone ahead to make sure they have what you are interested in.

ems i think you have just made my day - didnt realise there was a shop in ireland, i bought my stuff in france!!! I have the two tone ones as well as a plain black pair and i honestly have never had better jodhpurs.(not to mention the stack of tendon boots and a 35 euro pessoa training aid!!) Will be making a trip up north soon so!!

ems i think you have just made my day - didnt realise there was a shop in ireland, i bought my stuff in france!!! I have the two tone ones as well as a plain black pair and i honestly have never had better jodhpurs.(not to mention the stack of tendon boots and a 35 euro pessoa training aid!!) Will be making a trip up north soon so!!

You can order these online from decathalon uk, I just looked at the site, confused about sizes though as they give sizes in 36/US XXS, 38/US XS, 40/US S etc. What would be the same as a 26 waist or 8-10 would either of you know who has them what kind of fit they are.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭ems_12

Ilovemarmite, sorry it took so long to get back to your question; I checked my jodphurs a while ago and they were 44 - I'm a terrible "size 14"; which really means 12 on top and closer to 16 on bottom (I'm blaming horseriding for that! :D). That would mean my size 44 are a size 16, which is in line with the wikipedia page I found; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clothing_sizes

• Advertisement

ems_12 wrote: »
    Ilovemarmite, sorry it took so long to get back to your question; I checked my jodphurs a while ago and they were 44 - I'm a terrible "size 14"; which really means 12 on top and closer to 16 on bottom (I'm blaming horseriding for that! :D). That would mean my size 44 are a size 16, which is in line with the wikipedia page I found; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clothing_sizes

Advertisement