Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Triton t90 lime scale

• 12-01-2013 8:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭

I am so fed up with lime scale and my triton t90 electric shower.

I live in the midlands and our water is very hard. I have a water softener system which works fine for mains water. The only issues are the kettle and the shower.

Normally all I had to do was remove the shower head once a week, soak it in lime scale remover and run the cold water through the shower hose to clear it out.

This isn't working anymore. Cleaned the shower head etc last night and this evening its clogged up again, running hold and cold etc.

Is the shower on its last legs or is there anything else I can do? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

I live in the midlands and our water is very hard. I have a water softener system which works fine for mains water. The only issues are the kettle and the shower.

Normally all I had to do was remove the shower head once a week, soak it in lime scale remover and run the cold water through the shower hose to clear it out.

This isn't working anymore. Cleaned the shower head etc last night and this evening its clogged up again, running hold and cold etc.

The water softener should be providing soft water to your shower,maybe the softener is set up wrong?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 751 ✭✭✭dozy doctor

It sounds to me like your brushes are going or on the way out... These are what its needed to generate the hot water in the first place.... Easily enough fitted as well.....

Any way just did a search on ebay and you can get them for a €10. I think they are normally around €30....

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Triton-carbon-brushes-2pcs-for-Triton-T90xr-pumped-electric-shower-replacement-/261145894059?pt=UK_Home_Garden_PowerTools_SM&hash=item3ccd821cab

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

The water softener should be providing soft water to your shower,maybe the softener is set up wrong?

The softener is grand - I think it's the heating process. Water that comes out of the tap is grand. I'm assuming it's the same principal as the kettle - the water goes in fine but once boiled its very scaley. Maybe I'm wrong though?

The shower in the main bathroom which runs off the mains is fine. It's just the botheration of the immersion etc so we rarely use it.

Thanks doctor dozy - ill look into that. The shower itself is 5 years old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

I you take the head off the hose and put the hose down into the shower then turn the heat fully down for a few minutes and up to heat it up and then fully down again and you be surprised how much lime will be on the shower tray after it.

I did it the other day and couldn't believe how much line there was. Also descale the shower head.

Oh and there is also a filter inside the shower that would need to be removed because its there for lime as well and might have lime in it as well.

I you take the head off the hose and put the hose down into the shower then turn the heat fully down for a few minutes and up to heat it up and then fully down again and you be surprised how much lime will be on the shower tray after it.

I did it the other day and couldn't believe how much line there was. Also descale the shower head.

Oh and there is also a filter inside the shower that would need to be removed because its there for lime as well and might have lime in it as well.

I run the shower with hose down into the tray and descale the head once a week - yeah there's loads comes out.

It's just at the minute, I'm having to do it every day or two.

Hubbie says he'll get a chance next weekend to turn off the power etc and get at the filter. Hopefully that will sort!

Saw something on another thread about an anti scale electric shower - anyone heard of these or if they're any good?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

No need to turn the power off to the shower. Make sit the switch outside for the shower is off and unscrew the front panel off the shower and you can access the filter then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,734 ✭✭✭Tow

They wont fit an origional T90.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭whizbang

I run the shower with hose down into the tray and descale the head once a week - yeah there's loads comes out.
    Are you sure its limescale thats coming out.. that sounds like plain ol dirt. Is it sand from the 'descaler' by any chance?

whizbang wrote: »
    Are you sure its limescale thats coming out.. that sounds like plain ol dirt. Is it sand from the 'descaler' by any chance?

Nope, hard little flakes of scale.

Advertisement