Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MMLP2 - Eminem 2013 Album

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

creep wrote: »
    What a heap of ****e. Some of the beats sound like they were made by a five year and the mastering or whatever its called is truly awful. I want angry raping his own mother and high off pills eminem back

To call this Marshall Crappy LP 2 is quite a joke

There is nothing wrong with the mastering on that album, you haven't a clue about producing if you think that.

Simples, if you wanna hear eminem rapping about drugs and killing his wife then listen to the mmlp, if not, avoid his new stuff.

It's hilarious how you're all rating eminem that high above every other rapper and being shocked just because he releases a mediocre album, his mediocre work is better than the majority of commercial hip hop.

Poor choice of beats on this album in fairness, despite the fact that it was executively produced by dre, he's letting too many dodgy beats slip through and end up on the albums, his influence on eminems music in past years is clearly less and less every album

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Adolescenteen

On my second listening and I really like this album so far. I really enjoyed or else loved Bad Guy, Rhyme or Reason, So Much Better, Rap God, Brainless, Evil Twin and Headlights. I liked Berzerk (although more for the production and the hook rather than the verses, it has grown on me though) and Asshole.

I'm still unsure what to make of "So Far" (although loved the cat in the mailbox and spitting on his onion rings references) and Love Game.

Survival is a 'meh' song for CoD. Didn't enjoy his song with Rihanna at all.

Think it's far too soon to really judge it, yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

Jonnymendoza is your typical music snob. Going against the grain to be different, it's hilarious, pathetic and utterly predictable. Eminem could have topped Illmatic and 2001 with this album and he would have said he didn't like it.

His opinion on Eminem shouldn't be taken seriously considering he said "We made you" was a great track.

We made you?

When did i say anything about that track being great? and who is going against the grain here? pretty much 9/10 people here dont like the album including me.

What are you smoking?

Pathetic attempt at trying to slag me off. Nice try

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    There is nothing wrong with the mastering on that album, you haven't a clue about producing if you think that.

Simples, if you wanna hear eminem rapping about drugs and killing his wife then listen to the mmlp, if not, avoid his new stuff.

It's hilarious how you're all rating eminem that high above every other rapper and being shocked just because he releases a mediocre album, his mediocre work is better than the majority of commercial hip hop.

Poor choice of beats on this album in fairness, despite the fact that it was executively produced by dre, he's letting too many dodgy beats slip through and end up on the albums, his influence on eminems music in past years is clearly less and less every album
    This imo is not medicore. its downright shocking.

I can list a whole bunch of commercial albums that are better then this.

drake, jayz, j cole, danny brown, pusha T and possibly even freaking Big Seans hall of fame album is better and i dont like that album at all.

You know i am a massive fan of eminen so its not as if i hated eminem's stuff. This is just shocking. i don't wear no rose tinted glasses. if an artist make bad ****, i will say it. Same as when Timbaland makes bad beats. i will be the first to say.

Will he be doing a freestyle promoting this album on Tim Westwood show? The ones he did on it promoting Relapse and Recovery were phenomenal:

that freestyle simply destroys every single damm track of this piss poor album lyrically and possibly beat wise!

Eminem has lost his way big time.

Dont think eminem wrote his songs on this album because the old eminem's freestyle lyrics are god damm night and day compared to what i hear from this album. Nevermind the lyrics that he writes, not freestyle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

im enjoying the album so far
    gonna take a few days for it all to sink in to give a final judgement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Is it bad that The Monster has most replay value for me atm? Sweet Jesus I think I just vomited a little...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

What I have heard I have thought was alright, enjoyed Bad Guy......not up to his old high standards obviously, I already think its the production (again) that's letting it down but I will give it another few listens before making a final judgement on it. I don't hate it, I don't love it, that's all I can say right now

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Jonnymendoza is your typical music snob. Going against the grain to be different, it's hilarious, pathetic and utterly predictable. Eminem could have topped Illmatic and 2001 with this album and he would have said he didn't like it.

His opinion on Eminem shouldn't be taken seriously considering he said "We made you" was a great track.

Going against the grain? Everyone is saying this album is terrible...because it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

Terrible album , really disapointed. Relapse is better IMO and that's saying something !.

As far as his choice of beats, em never really had an ear for beats lets be honest so that doesn't surprise me.

A lot of people are not happy about dre' s contribution production wise need to remember his production isn't what it use to be anyway. I think relapse was produced entirely by dre and we all know how bad that was even em knows how bad that was, it wasn't just the accent dre was cat on it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

Orizio wrote: »
    Going against the grain? Everyone is saying this album is terrible...because it is.

Everyone? Really?

I've listened to it all twice now and actually enjoyed it, maybe that's because I realise that 13 years have passed since MMLP and he won't be rapping about killing his mother and Kim, other people obviously don't have a clue about artist growth.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,836 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

The last 2 minutes of Bad Guy are absolutely brilliant. Wish the rest of the album was like this!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭HighClass

Everyone? Really?

I've listened to it all twice now and actually enjoyed it, maybe that's because I realise that 13 years have passed since MMLP and he won't be rapping about killing his mother and Kim, other people obviously don't have a clue about artist growth.

Artist growth is one thing, making bad music is another. Badly singing on a lot of the tracks is hardly what you'd call growth.

HighClass wrote: »
    Artist growth is one thing, making bad music is another. Badly singing on a lot of the tracks is hardly what you'd call growth.

Who are you or anyone else on this thread to call certain music bad? Obviously everyone is entitled to their opinion but show me your discography before you start slating, arguably, one of the best rappers in history.

Who are you or anyone else on this thread to call certain music bad? Obviously everyone is entitled to their opinion but show me your discography before you start slating, arguably, one of the best rappers in history.

And who are you to post nonsense about me being the only person that doesn't like the album

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Mod: Please turn the focus back to the album rather than getting personal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Prodgey

I think no matter what the album was like it was always going to get heavy criticism from alot of boardsies.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Housebound

Firstly there is no way you can compare Drake to Eminem, there 2 completly different artists. I like Drake but hes more of an RnB singer than a rapper. Hes a great song writer & knows how to deliver a catchy hook but if your talking lyrically then he doesnt belong in the same sentence as Eminem..Drake himself said he sees himself more as Marvin Gaye than Jay-Z

After listening to MMLP2 straight through once, Ive enjoyed it but it does have its flaws. I think he was brave to call it MMLP2 because straight away people are expecting it to be the same as the original which he was never going to replicate. Id love to hear the old Eminem over those banging Dre beats like Criminal,Amityville,Way I Am or White America,When The Music Stops or Forgot about Dre etc but hip hop has moved on to a new sound...There seems to be a reluctance from Dre to produce for artists hes involved with like Kendrick's album didnt have any Dre beats & he did t even produce I Need A Doctor. I dont think Em has a great ear for beats & Recovery/MMLP2 have suffered from it now...i think the production let this album down more than anything else...Some of the beats sound poorly produced.

I didnt like a lot of Recovery because he just seemed to shout for the whole album & on some tracks like Almost Famous & 25 To Life it sounded horrible...he seems to have toned it down on this album & it sounds less forced. I think a lot of people are jumping the gun & judging the album after skipping through it, I was of the same opinion until i listened to it straight through & realised theres some great songs like Rap God,Brainless,Headlights,Rhyme or Reason,Evil Twin..Although there is so poor songs like Stronger Than I Was,Bizerk or Asshole..think Monster with Rihanna will be a number 1 but thats fairly obvious

Overall i think its a step in the right direction for him, he will never be the same as he was in his early days but hes still well able to make amazing songs & is better than 90% of mainstream hip hop, look forward to hearing the bonus tracks for the deluxe edition to see what hes left off the album

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

People expecting the old Eminem (Slim Shady actually) to re appear at any stage are most likely going to be disappointed (apart from cameos here and there) but that's actually ok. It is also possible that fans of Slim wont like Eminem stuff, that's ok too. Someone mentioned this being his 8th album in comparison to what Jay Z did with his 8th album. Its nice till you scratch the surface a bit, Jay changed style an awful lot over his career and the new Jay Z is nothing like the old Jay Z. I would argue that Slim Shady, MM1 and Eminem Show were better then Jay Z early albums.

Artists change, the change is not going to be for everyone, Jay changed and the majority liked it, Em is a lot different these days and appealing to a different genre, obviously this will alienate a lot of his "old" fans. He is a different person now, he is no longer an angry 20 something he is older, more mature, his kids are older, he isn't going to be making songs about killing their mother really is he?

I see nothing wrong with change in an artist, I don't rate the production on these new albums very highly, I did like Recovery and bits of Relapse but overall the production quality is nowhere near where it used to be, his flow is still there, he is still one of the best rappers out there and I think he needs something to rage at again to bring out his best. He is no longer hungry, starved of recognition, needing attention, he doesn't llike media attention, he is a notorious non tourer, you get the feeling he would be very happy to just sit in the studio all year round rather then have to go promote/perform his music these days.

He has lost a lot of the fire that made him who he was, but as long as he is making music that means something to him that's all that matters tbh. You don't have to buy or listen to his stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭HighClass

Like you said everyone is entitled to their own opinion and my opinion, along with a lot of other people in the thread, is that this is a piss poor album. Just because someone is one of the best at something doesn't give them god status either, Jay Z is one of my favourite rappers but I think he put out a piss poor album this year as well, doesn't mean he didn't drop 3 classics. "He's great so you can't slate him" just because someone is good at something doesn't make them immune to criticism. My discography is only one demo tape at this stage as well, it'll be a few years before I start comparing myself to people who've been putting out music for 20 odd years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Everyone? Really?

Shame you didn't also realise he now has no idea what a good beat sounds like, what a good hook sounds like, how to rap without shouting for no reason and how to make a cohesive album.

Headlights is fcuking beautiful.

Shame you didn't also realise he now has no idea what a good beat sounds like, what a good hook sounds like, how to rap without shouting for no reason and how to make a cohesive album.

Wow, what a load of bull. How did you manage to fit so much into such a small amount of sentences?

Utter sh!te.

music is subjective
    ive no problem with ppl hating the album
    but stating opinions as facts is stupid

Bad Guy is a great track

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭baddebt

gave the album a few spin's .
    Like bad guy , and legacy is decent
    the rest ...very average
    this album for sure will not feature in my top albums of the year , not by a long shot

no one here is expecting him to rap about the same stuff 10 years ago.

People are just expecting umm you know, a good rap album.

For me and others this not good.

I rate j cole's album higher then this. What will people say now. That you cant compare with J cole now lol?

Then who can we compare this terrible album against?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 88 ✭✭AG918

Who says we can't compare Eminem with other mainstream artists?

Jay-Z, Pusha-T, Drake, J. Cole, Kanye West and Danny Brown have all released far superior albums this year. The album is much worse than I expected - and I wasn't expecting much.

It's hard to believe an album handled by Dr. Dre and Rick Rubin could be this bad.

• Advertisement

we should do a "post your top 5 albums of the year" thread and lets see how many put eminem in their top 5

Advertisement