Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MMLP2 - Eminem 2013 Album

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

For what?

You need to point and laugh at others who have a different opinion to you or you need people to validate your own opinion due to some insecurity?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

we should do a "post your top 5 albums of the year" thread and lets see how many put eminem in their top 5

1 - MMLP 2

2-5 Who cares?

There's my list, what has that achieved?

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭horsebox09

I actually think there's a solid album in here, Stronger Than I Was-So Far is the worst 3 song stretch I've heard this year, (in the last couple of years, tbh) and Survival is a complete throwaway track, but, outside of those, I think the album is fine; it's a definite step-up from Recovery and it's on another level to Encore

Bad Guy, Brainless and Evil Twin are vintage Shady tracks

Also, there's still 5 bonus tracks that haven't been leaked yet, so hopefully there's another gem or two still to come

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭mr170

To be honest when i first listened to it i taught it was a weak album but 5th time listening to it and it's really growing on me . It was never going to top mmlp

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Right, here's my blow by blow account of the album.

Bad Guy - Pretty decent track, switch up is well placed and lets the track play out nicely.
    Parking Lot (skit) - what is the point of this?
    Rhyme or Reason - I loved how Sage Francis used this sample a few years back. I like how this starts off...until he starts singing. Then it picks up again after the singing, nice little record dust sounds, a few subtle scratches in the background. Then the last verse, I just dont get it, he is pretty much following a Nikki Minaj formula for a verse, angry rap followed by fast rap, punch in.....but when he is actually rapping it sounds decent.
    So Much Better - This was going very well, until the f*cking singing for the hook. Why oh why does he have to f*cking sing.
    Survival - Average average song.
    Legacy - Rainfall, singy hook, dark thoughts. Stan 2.0. It's an OK track.
    Assh*le - This is more like it, one of the highlights of the album
    Berzerk - Initially, wasn't a big fan of this one, but has grown on me alot. Again, one of the highlights of the album.
    Rap God - Annoying song. Very annoying.
    Brainless - As some mentioned, a throwback to Slim Shady. Have to agree and very well executed, love the Halloweeny piano. Singing isnt so bad on this, tolerable.
    Stronger Than I Was - What the actual f*ck? Surely that is some sort of prank and someone dropped that into the 'stream' for a laugh. Meaningful lyrics and all, but execution is awful.
    Monster - A pretty pop track, not the type of song I want to listen to when I turn on Em. And he f*cking yodels in it. Yodelling does not belong in rap music.
    So Far... - Decent track to start off, but at that stage of the album I'd started to lose focus, and then Em starts with different vocal styling, country folk guitar, then turns a bit UB40ish, then there is a 20 second portion at about the 4 minute mark that sounds real good, then he starts shouting again.
    Love Game - This song seems to be getting slated before I've heard it, so a bit apprehensive about it. Not as bad as I thought it would be based on the reviews. It's one of the high points for me, something different and it all works.
    Headlights - This is another joke right? Right?
    Evil Twin - Yeah, it's allright, there should be more songs like this on the record.

What I see as the problem, Em is too self reflective in his lyrics, and to autoboigraphal, then mixes in similes and metaphors to make dare to say it incoherent ramblings.
    He's also trying to incorporate to many other genre's into his beats which to my ears, does not work at all.
    The Em of old, had direction with his subject matter, his growth as an artist has to become more self reflecting in his lyrics, in my opinion, its the wrong type of growth for him, as he doesnt execute it well. When he has something to rap about, like in Rhyme or Reason, his lyrics are on point, but then introducing horrible singing and pointless ad libs.

I had high hopes for this album.....I have mentioned here numerous times how I think Em is pound for pound the best rapper out there. And I had high hopes that Rick Rubin would provide guidance for the album. But it looks like Em got him on board for 1 or 2 songs, and as a fashion accessory because Kanye done it....and Jay Z appeared to do it by getting Rick in for the ads.

This album is not for me. I doubt it will grown on me, as I was kind of glad it was over when I finished listening.

And seriously, what is the deal with the Stronger Than I Was song.....and Headlights????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

kryogen wrote: »
    For what?

You need to point and laugh at others who have a different opinion to you or you need people to validate your own opinion due to some insecurity?

to prove that teh majority dont rate this album.

And LOL at the person who rates this as best album after the album not being leaked for 24hours.

So its ok to say an album is great less then 24 hours of it leaking but if it was me rating an album great after a few weeks i get slated. yea ok

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Prodgey

Bad Guy is Stan's little brother... Holy sh!t.

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Right, here's my blow by blow account of the album.

Bad Guy - Pretty decent track, switch up is well placed and lets the track play out nicely.
    Parking Lot (skit) - what is the point of this?
    Rhyme or Reason - I loved how Sage Francis used this sample a few years back. I like how this starts off...until he starts singing. Then it picks up again after the singing, nice little record dust sounds, a few subtle scratches in the background. Then the last verse, I just dont get it, he is pretty much following a Nikki Minaj formula for a verse, angry rap followed by fast rap, punch in.....but when he is actually rapping it sounds decent.
    So Much Better - This was going very well, until the f*cking singing for the hook. Why oh why does he have to f*cking sing.
    Survival - Average average song.
    Legacy - Rainfall, singy hook, dark thoughts. Stan 2.0. It's an OK track.
    Assh*le - This is more like it, one of the highlights of the album
    Berzerk - Initially, wasn't a big fan of this one, but has grown on me alot. Again, one of the highlights of the album.
    Rap God - Annoying song. Very annoying.
    Brainless - As some mentioned, a throwback to Slim Shady. Have to agree and very well executed, love the Halloweeny piano. Singing isnt so bad on this, tolerable.
    Stronger Than I Was - What the actual f*ck? Surely that is some sort of prank and someone dropped that into the 'stream' for a laugh. Meaningful lyrics and all, but execution is awful.
    Monster - A pretty pop track, not the type of song I want to listen to when I turn on Em. And he f*cking yodels in it. Yodelling does not belong in rap music.
    So Far... - Decent track to start off, but at that stage of the album I'd started to lose focus, and then Em starts with different vocal styling, country folk guitar, then turns a bit UB40ish, then there is a 20 second portion at about the 4 minute mark that sounds real good, then he starts shouting again.
    Love Game - This song seems to be getting slated before I've heard it, so a bit apprehensive about it. Not as bad as I thought it would be based on the reviews. It's one of the high points for me, something different and it all works.
    Headlights - This is another joke right? Right?
    Evil Twin - Yeah, it's allright, there should be more songs like this on the record.

What I see as the problem, Em is too self reflective in his lyrics, and to autoboigraphal, then mixes in similes and metaphors to make dare to say it incoherent ramblings.
    He's also trying to incorporate to many other genre's into his beats which to my ears, does not work at all.
    The Em of old, had direction with his subject matter, his growth as an artist has to become more self reflecting in his lyrics, in my opinion, its the wrong type of growth for him, as he doesnt execute it well. When he has something to rap about, like in Rhyme or Reason, his lyrics are on point, but then introducing horrible singing and pointless ad libs.

I had high hopes for this album.....I have mentioned here numerous times how I think Em is pound for pound the best rapper out there. And I had high hopes that Rick Rubin would provide guidance for the album. But it looks like Em got him on board for 1 or 2 songs, and as a fashion accessory because Kanye done it....and Jay Z appeared to do it by getting Rick in for the ads.

This album is not for me. I doubt it will grown on me, as I was kind of glad it was over when I finished listening.

And seriously, what is the deal with the Stronger Than I Was song.....and Headlights????

BRILLIANT take on the album.

I have a similar opinion to you on most of the songs except i do like headlights and the first track. The rest are terrible .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Prodgey

What've you got against Rap God and Headlights, Boom Bap? I think they're two of the best on the album.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

I must be the only one who really, really likes Stronger Than I Was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

alot of ppl on here seem to hate any sort of melody on a Eminem song

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Prodgey wrote: »
    What've you got against Rap God and Headlights, Boom Bap? I think they're two of the best on the album.

Rap God is an average track from Em, made worse by the repetitive synthy sound throughout.

Headlights - Lets all hold hands, or raise a lighter in the sky and sway from side to side we are at a Taylor Swift gig........meaningful words in the song, but, is it really something that has to be put on an album, or recorded?

to prove that teh majority dont rate this album.

And LOL at the person who rates this as best album after the album not being leaked for 24hours.

So its ok to say an album is great less then 24 hours of it leaking but if it was me rating an album great after a few weeks i get slated. yea ok

What exactly will it prove for you?

This album will sell bucket loads, will that then prove that its good or something?

You seem to lack direction and clarity buddy.

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Rap God is an average track from Em, made worse by the repetitive synthy sound throughout.

Headlights - Lets all hold hands, or raise a lighter in the sky and sway from side to side we are at a Taylor Swift gig........meaningful words in the song, but, is it really something that has to be put on an album, or recorded?

Regarding Headlights, he has made many a song insulting his mother so I think its pretty understandable he wanted to put that song on the album tbf

• Registered Users Posts: 29,836 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Prodgey wrote: »
    Bad Guy is Stan's little brother... Holy sh!t.

Aw sh*t yeah! Matthew Mitchell is Stan's little borther, completely missed that, good find man! Great song just got better! Have to go listen again now.

Also, Parking Lot really reminds me of how shop robberies can go very wrong in GTA V :)

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭horsebox09

The bonus tracks sound fairly decent, why didn't Groundhog Day make the cut?!?

http://www.juno.co.uk/products/eminem-marshall-mathers-lp-2-deluxe/510557-01/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

horsebox09 wrote: »
    The bonus tracks sound fairly decent, why didn't Groundhog Day make the cut?!?

http://www.juno.co.uk/products/eminem-marshall-mathers-lp-2-deluxe/510557-01/

It did, look again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭HighClass

I like the bonus tracks more than the album tbh. If he used the bonus tracks and got rid of Headlights, Stronger Than I Was, The Monster, So Far and Rhyme Or Reason it would be a fairly solid release imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Bad guy, Legacy, Brainless, Rap God, Evil Twin, Beautiful Pain, Baby (hook apart) and Wicked Ways all solid releases,
    Berzerk, Rhyme or Reason o-k,
    I can see why he wanted to release Headlights and I do like it tbh.
    None of the songs on it made me go "berzerk" though like the oldies still do. Nothing to do with subject matter just the songs themselves. Will still be buying it

• Advertisement

Beautiful Pain is a great song
    it has singing so alot on here might not like it

kryogen wrote: »
    Regarding Headlights, he has made many a song insulting his mother so I think its pretty understandable he wanted to put that song on the album tbf

Very understandable, but one of the softest songs, Big Ghostface is going to have a Drake style field day with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭SeaDaily

Great comment on reddit about the album:

Em seems to suffer from what I call "Metallica Syndrome". It's one thing to release a couple good albums, but these artists both released more than one iconic/legendary album; albums so good that they are close to incomparable with other releases from their contemporaries. But let's face it you can't continuously release albums that are THAT good. Good, yes, iconic, a lot harder. So Eminem has to compete with Eminem; whose already set the bar ****ing high. So no matter if he does a "good" album, even a "great" album it'll never be on that status of prior releases.
    Some people are hyping it, others are saying it's awful. It's hard to be judged by the standards that you set. MMLP2 is Em doing what he's always done.

I'd be inclined to agree with this take on things.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

This actually surpasses that other piece of rubbish kanye brought out a few months ago as far as letdowns go, its a desperate album from em imho. Im a big a eminem fan as the next person but this is just horrible, im struggling to find one song that i like enough to give a few spins.

Really letdown and p*ssed off about it tbh. All he's achieved here is tarnishing a classic in mmlp just like snoop did with doggystyle 2, dont try and fix something thats not broke lads, my pet hate in hip hop is rappers going back over their classic albums or songs and calling it part 2 this or that.

#annoyed :D

This actually surpasses that other piece of rubbish kanye brought out a few months ago as far as letdowns go, its a desperate album from em imho. Im a big a eminem fan as the next person but this is just horrible, im struggling to find one song that i like enough to give a few spins.

Really letdown and p*ssed off about it tbh. All he's achieved here is tarnishing a classic in mmlp just like snoop did with doggystyle 2, dont try and fix something thats not broke lads, my pet hate in hip hop is rappers going back over their classic albums or songs and calling it part 2 this or that.

#annoyed :D
    im think the album is great
    Bad Guy,So Much Better,Rap God,Brainless,Stronger Than I Was,Headlights,Beautiful Pain,
    Baby,Desperation & Wicked Ways are all favourites of mine

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

one word to describe the album..Fire

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 360 ✭✭creep

I tried to give the album a chance but meh

• Registered Users Posts: 29,836 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Anyone got a go to song? Usually when I get a new album there are 2 or 3 i
    Songs I skip straight to and play them on repeat but there isn't one on this for me. Always listen to bad guy as first track but then the more he sings, the more I skip. The album is growing on me though. I think the hooks are the biggest problem though, when him or poppy girl starts singing, it can kill a track for me. Headlights is such a relaxing song to listen to, surprise hit for me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 88 ✭✭AG918

I've listened to the album three or four times and there's really nothing that grabs me. There's no replay value, I'm sick of every song already.

As an aside, I don't know how I managed to listen to So Far... without skipping :confused:
    All he's achieved here is tarnishing a classic in mmlp just like snoop did with doggystyle 2

Doggystyle 2?

• Advertisement

i thought this was released on spotify today but wasnt. Only one or two tracks worth replaying IMO.

Spotify is such an amazing app

Advertisement