Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MMLP2 - Eminem 2013 Album

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

People can say or like whatever the f*ck they want, I'm just saying my bit, which I'm entitled to. I couldn't care less what a person likes...I'm never forced anyone to agree with me or my personal tastes ever...

And I'm more than allowed to make that statement...I'm proud to say I've an educated mind and ear when it comes to hip hop, therefore I trust it entirely when making judgement on anything and I am always going to stick by it... I'm not trying to say I'm right and you're wrong but I'd like to think I'm pretty fair and consistent...I've given this album far more time than I would normally and nothing has sparked so I made my verdict...and your last comment is hysterical. By making that post there, you're contributing far less to this discussion compared to any of my posts about the album.

Agree with you very much, your last few comments are spot on imo. I honestly think relapse was much better myself, ye it wasnt great but theres a few gems on it but with mmlp2 bar rap god in which i like despite most here hating it but the rest is trash. His worst album by far, its terrible.

I taught recovery was good though and a step forward from relapse but mmlp2 is 2 steps back imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Prodgey

Was there a Relapse thread, and did you comment on it at the time? Because I'd put money on you having criticized it just as much as you are the MMLP2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭HighClass

Looks like somebody really didnt like the album!

http://www.rap-up.com/2013/11/08/eminems-childhood-home-burns-in-fire/

Prodgey wrote: »
    Was there a Relapse thread, and did you comment on it at the time? Because I'd put money on you having criticized it just as much as you are the MMLP2

more than likely but did i say relapse was a great album in my last post anywhere?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 88 ✭✭AG918

I've listened to the album five or six times and, despite the seemingly positive critical response, I just don't like it. There's three or four decent tracks, the rest is pure drivel.

'Don't Front' is excellent IMO, it's a shame it wasn't included on the album.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

The album could have been amazing if the bonus tracks were included on the initial release (in place of the weaker/muck tracks obv)

Nothing does, but I do know my sh*t when it comes to hip hop and I know it very well and I'm as open minded as the next guy, but Eminem in 2013 is complete drivel.

I would argue that some of the reviewers "know their ****" also and are at direct odds with you so maybe you should not be so arrogant about your own opinion?

You don't like something, that's great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

I'm not afraid to admit having listened to it a few times more it's growing on me.

But I maintain and always will that the pop ****e he done with rihanna and pink etc was an absolute sell out, and really made me loose respect for him as a rapper.

But as I said it is growing on me, if he had left off 3 or 4 songs it would be a great album, but with monster there everytime I look at the back of the album it just brings me back to how much he has dropped.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I've had no want whatsoever to go back and listen to MMLP2 since my last listen . I found myself forcing myself to listen to it for the sake of trying to find something I like and to finish up my synopsis that I posted earlier on the thread.

Maybe I've been too critical, I know I was about a few other high profile albums like Good Kid Maad City and Goblin (high profile in terms of the discussion on the hip hop forum), and I've completely turned on them. Listening back to Goblin now, and it's excellent, was ahead of its time.....and his latest album went completely under the radar and it's super good.

I'm thinking that it may be the case with MMLP2, but I've taken a step back and have had a revelation. When listening to MMLP2 for the first time, it felt like I was forcing myself to listen to something that I occasionally liked. Compare that to now, I'm listening to the new Shad record and I'm hung on every word he is saying, vibing to all the beats, loving every second of it....so should I go back to listen to MMLP2 and force myself through a listen again?

Nope, you will listen to it again whenever you are ready to. No point in forcing yourself, you wont like it that way :)

I often feel like this with albums, if they don't catch me right away I don't force it, some I come back to, others I don't. Maybe I will come back to them in the future!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭Underground

HighClass wrote: »
    Looks like somebody really didnt like the album!

http://www.rap-up.com/2013/11/08/eminems-childhood-home-burns-in-fire/

"Me and Dre stood next to a burned down house, with a can full of gas and a hand full of matches, still weren't found out..."

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭RedMickeyMouse

MMLP2, for me, is a good album. I don't think it's going to rack up there with SSLP, MMLP, or TES but was it ever going to? A clean Eminem, in this day and age, was never going to revisit the lyrics or ideas he did on those albums. At his age it's not a vibe he's gonna want to pursue, nor would it be a good idea.

In fairness, beneath the surface MMLP2 is very well put together and thought out in places. The nostalgia that peppers various tracks makes it all the more enjoyable. For example Bad Guy is riddled with references to old lyrics, and the throwback to Proof's 'When the Music Stops" verse was a nice touch. As for 'Headlights', it's not what we're used to but I think a bit of appreciation is deserved for the fact that he's such a far cry from what he was when he wrote 'Cleaning Out My Closet' and to look back on the likes of it must be cringe-worthy, I know I'd want to resolve it if I had done it. With 'Rap God', I think he probably just wants to exhibit his skills if nothing else, that speed is impressive and at least the bars are relevant to each other unlike the sh*t Kanye and the boys are and have been putting out.

It's not his best, but it's not the worst. It's far more him than 'Recovery' was. How many of you are the same person you were in 1999 and 2000? If you've changed, so has he, and if you can't accept that you're just being unrealistic.

On a different note, think we'll ever see him perform in Ireland again?

I reckon we'll see him over here again. He did oxegen in 2010, then performed up north the following year and then did Slane this year, so he has come over here quite a bit recently. Could certainly see him doing it again.

About the album, one thing that occurred to me when listening to So Far, is that it is exactly the kind of track he used to diss Everlast for doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Prodgey

I reckon we'll see him over here again. He did oxegen in 2010, then performed up north the following year and then did Slane this year, so he has come over here quite a bit recently. Could certainly see him doing it again.

About the album, one thing that occurred to me when listening to So Far, is that it is exactly the kind of track he used to diss Everlast for doing.

+1
    Thought that myself

The album has really really grown on me now, there are maybe 3 or 4 tracks I don't like, one or two of those I literally just skip, but overall I think it is a very good album, great in fact

(Watched a live performance of Rap God too, wow)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Bad Guy is in Eminem's Top 10 songs ever imo
    the final verse is his best since the MMLP/TES days

Yeah Bad Guy definitely the highlight for me too. Demonstrates what he's still capable of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭HighClass

First week sales = 793,000. Thought he would break a million first week tbh. Was Tha Carter 3 the last rap album to do that?

HighClass wrote: »
    First week sales = 793,000. Thought he would break a million first week tbh. Was Tha Carter 3 the last rap album to do that?

Jay's Magna Carta did a million even though it didn't technically sell 1 million copies, something to do with the deal he did with Samsung.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

MD1990 wrote: »
    Bad Guy is in Eminem's Top 10 songs ever imo
    the final verse is his best since the MMLP/TES days

top 10 i am not sure but definitely the best song in the album. The album is shockingly bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Andy_rse

Eminem is on Jonathan Ross tonight, my epg says he's performing. Also a four part interview with Zane Lowe starts Monday at 9pm on radio 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭SeaDaily

Shame he had to do berzerk...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

top 10 i am not sure but definitely the best song in the album. The album is shockingly bad.
    Right, its clear you dont like the album, but Eminem would rap circles, squares and rectangles around your precious Drake.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

Podge2k7 wrote: »
    Right, its clear you dont like the album, but Eminem would rap circles, squares and rectangles around your precious Drake.

Not on any of the songs minus bad guy.

Drakes album pisses over this album literally.

This album is one of the worse albums this year.

I am or was a massive eminem fanboy and that is why i am damm right pissed and angry at eminem for making such a **** album.

Dont mix me with someone who always hated and slated eminem

SeaDaily wrote: »
    Shame he had to do berzerk...

Prime time itv on a Saturday night. He's hardly going to do Bad Guy. Surprised it wasn't The Monster though tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭SeaDaily

Andy_rse wrote: »
    Prime time itv on a Saturday night. He's hardly going to do Bad Guy. Surprised it wasn't The Monster though tbh.

Could have been rap god though..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

can anyone find the actual interview?

can anyone find the actual interview?

You mean from Jonathan Ross? He just performed, no interview. The performance was probably pre recorded too so he didn't have to hang around.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

ah feck, really liked his last 2 interviews with Ross

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

^
    theres the 1st part of his interview with Zane Lowe tomorrow

Advertisement