Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MMLP2 - Eminem 2013 Album

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I think the problem with Em is that his evolution hasnt been graceful, there were backwards, sideways and forward steps and slippy slopes until now. It appears to be coming together for him now, and he has started to understand what he wants to do. But he's still not there for me yet. He has his moments this time round, far more than on the last 2 albums.

Something that I was thinking about, and touched on by HighClass was the evolution of Slug from Atmosphere. I was mainly thinking about this because Em and Slug where 2 people I started to pay close attention to around the same time. At the time Em blazed on everything he done, whereas Slug was accomplished and a bit rough.

Slug has become far more polished, more ambitious, adapted to his positive characteristics, and I have in a sense grown with him and everything he has done. Em has zig zagged and pushed me away.

And then there is Cage who I'd throw in as someone I started listening to at that time, and he has also changed alot and improved and adapted all in a very positive way. Similar to Em, his latest album tries to merge all the different steps of his career into and it feels far more in harmony than MMLP2.

And to continue with the white rapper trend, there is also Sole who had some absolute classic albums early on.....but now is a campaigning sci-fi occupy everything activist, which I started to detest in recent times.

So in summary Em's progression has not been linear, there have been many backward steps along the way and now he's starting to find his way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

Mr. Rager wrote: »
    Why harp on about it?

Why harp on about it?

Why harp on about it?

Why harp on about it?

WHY HARP ON ABOUT IT!?!?!?!?!?!?!

load of bollox.

why dont u quote the posts inbetween those to see why i posted them instead of nip picking.

Tell the full story or dont bother.

Its ok for u and others to slate me and everyone else who doesn't like the album yet when we slate the album you cry and moan how the album is not getting much credit dispite selling nearly a million copies and paying certain magazines/blogs/websites to praise the album.

Album is **** to me, end of.

Go and listen to Nas's album. Bloody pisses all over this crap.

Eminem even makes Drake look like a legendary rapper and that says it all.

pound cake song for example is soo much better then any other song in this joke of an album.

drakes story telling is even better then eminems and that is just downright embarassing.

Where is the real slim shady?

The one who tells amazing stories like guilty concence and Stan(all nothing to do with his family)

What about the beats? Where is the legendary Dr Dre?

What about using producers like timbo? dj premier? Kanye and his crew?

Is Eminem scared to try a new sound? Has no more ability to tell great stories?

Tell me where is the real eminem?

I am not expecting to slate his ex wife and his mum. i expect great story telling songs with catchy beats/classic hip hop beats.

The production and story telling in this album is shocking

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 88 ✭✭AG918

Where is the legendary Dr Dre?

tumblr_mg9kw4fX8d1qzbwkjo1_500.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

alot of Eminems terrible songs have been prod. by Dre
    forget Dre he needs to get back with the Bass Brothers

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭bigpoppa

not mad about the album at all but some major overreaction on here lads, everyone has an opinion, deep breathes all round yeah?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

The one who tells amazing stories like guilty concence and Stan(all nothing to do with his family)

Stan? Bad Guy is a follow up to Stan.

You're giving out he's too different now, he's not the same Eminem he once was, blah blah blah.

Now you're saying he's too scared to try a new sound? sorry now, how could he have tried a new sound any differently in this album? theres more harmonies and singing than ever, practically all of his albums sound different to the last.

You're over reacting like crazy to this album, its far better than you're making it out to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Andy_rse

I really like the album. Didn't have high hopes for it in the first place but bar one or two songs and a few dodgy hooks it's a good album, not a hip hop album imo but a good pop album.

People need to accept that this is the type of music he makes now, maybe cos it makes him happy, maybe cos it makes him money or maybe a mixture of both.

We''ll never hear another mmlp from him and frankly don't need to. To further the Slug analogy that Boom Bap, many people slate Atmosphere for not making music that sounds like their first album, Overcast, anymore. Many people say it's their best work, but I'd rather they evolve, which they have and have 10 different sounding dope albums than 10 albums that all hark back to their original sound. There's plenty of people I don't listen to now cos I don't like how they sound now, but don't cry about it and enjoy what I enjoy.

Eminem has evolved too, not to everyone's taste but he doesn't need to make music for anyone but himself and that's what he's doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Adolescenteen

The more I listen to 'Groundhog Day', 'Baby' and 'Don't Front' the more complexing it seems to me that these weren't included in the regular album (although I heard there was problem with time with 'Don't Front'). I like this album already, but if those three songs replaced 'Survival', 'The Monster', and 'Stronger than I was' then, in my opinion, this album's quality increases dramatically.

What do people think of the Deluxe tracks? I know 'Don't Front' seems to be well liked here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Mr. Rager

load of bollox.

why dont u quote the posts inbetween those to see why i posted them instead of nip picking.

Tell the full story or dont bother.

Don't act as if I'm a tabloid journo who's just completely exploited what you have said for a better scoop! Your agenda is consistent. I'm also not a nip-picker.

Hmm, that reminds me. This thread needs more Simpsons:

Its ok for u and others to slate me and everyone else who doesn't like the album yet when we slate the album you cry and moan how the album is not getting much credit dispite selling nearly a million copies and paying certain magazines/blogs/websites to praise the album.

Album is **** to me, end of.

Go and listen to Nas's album. Bloody pisses all over this crap.

Eminem even makes Drake look like a legendary rapper and that says it all.

pound cake song for example is soo much better then any other song in this joke of an album.

drakes story telling is even better then eminems and that is just downright embarassing.

Where is the real slim shady?

What about the beats? Where is the legendary Dr Dre?

What about using producers like timbo? dj premier? Kanye and his crew?

I am not expecting to slate his ex wife and his mum. i expect great story telling songs with catchy beats/classic hip hop beats.

The production and story telling in this album is shocking

Guess what?

...I don't particularly like the album either! (shock, horror)

And I agree, Nothing Was The Same ****s on this as a finished product. Em would demolish Drake on technical skills but let's face it, at this point in time Drake makes better all round music.

But honestly, Nas? Timbo? You're like a spinning record man! Life is Good was great and all, but why are you even bringing it up? It was released nearly a year and a half ago? Nas released a lot of crap before that album came out, again trying to find a sound for the newer, more mature him. You have to give Eminem credit in that he's progressing in parts towards capturing the new him in his music with the MMLP2 - I still think he has another great album in him.

Thing is, it's great to have an opinion, because many people surprisingly don't and just use the thoughts of critics, their friends etc and pass it off as their own. However, it seems that you're forcing your opinion on others at this point. We get it, you don't like the album. A lot of people don't. A lot of people do.

Stan? Bad Guy is a follow up to Stan.

You're giving out he's too different now, he's not the same Eminem he once was, blah blah blah.

Now you're saying he's too scared to try a new sound? sorry now, how could he have tried a new sound any differently in this album? theres more harmonies and singing than ever, practically all of his albums sound different to the last.

You're over reacting like crazy to this album, its far better than you're making it out to be.
    And ironicaly bad guy is the only song i like from the album but stilll not a patch on stan.
    Mr. Rager wrote: »
    Don't act as if I'm a tabloid journo who's just completely exploited what you have said for a better scoop! Your agenda is consistent. I'm also not a nip-picker.

Hmm, that reminds me. This thread needs more Simpsons:

Guess what?

...I don't particularly like the album either! (shock, horror)

And I agree, Nothing Was The Same ****s on this as a finished product. Em would demolish Drake on technical skills but let's face it, at this point in time Drake makes better all round music.

But honestly, Nas? Timbo? You're like a spinning record man! Life is Good was great and all, but why are you even bringing it up? It was released nearly a year and a half ago? Nas released a lot of crap before that album came out, again trying to find a sound for the newer, more mature him. You have to give Eminem credit in that he's progressing in parts towards capturing the new him in his music with the MMLP2 - I still think he has another great album in him.

Thing is, it's great to have an opinion, because many people surprisingly don't and just use the thoughts of critics, their friends etc and pass it off as their own. However, it seems that you're forcing your opinion on others at this point. We get it, you don't like the album. A lot of people don't. A lot of people do.

your nip picking like a journo as you do not also quoute the post i was replying too.

So is there like a time gap where you are able to compare eminems album with another album? if so what is that time gap?

It is not as if i am comparing a illmatic. i am comparing an album that just came out last year as you say!

Here is another album that i rate above eminem and thats J cole's born sinner.

Like i said, i am not expecting a slim shady album. i am expecting a decent good album. that is all and this is not it. far off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭SeaDaily

I think people need to stop replying to jonneymendoza. Its clear he hates the album and none of us are going to convince him otherwise by arguing with him.

SeaDaily wrote: »
    I think people need to stop replying to jonneymendoza. Its clear he hates the album and none of us are going to convince him otherwise by arguing with him.

AHHHH their we go. the money shot.

So some here are trying to convince me it is not a **** album yet if someone who hates the album tries to convince u its ****, its forbiden around here?

Yea now it makes perfect sense.

Fine to praise the album but not fine to not like the album.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭SeaDaily

AHHHH their we go. the money shot.

So some here are trying to convince me it is not a **** album yet if someone who hates the album tries to convince u its ****, its forbiden around here?

Yea now it makes perfect sense.

Fine to praise the album but not fine to not like the album.

I think I actually lost a few iq points reading that post. My post was telling people not to try and convince you to like the album. You literally took the total opposite meaning from my post.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

MOD NOTE: Please get back to discussing the album, not discussing the posters on the forum.

SeaDaily wrote: »
    I think I actually lost a few iq points reading that post. My post was telling people not to try and convince you to like the album. You literally took the total opposite meaning from my post.

if that is what you meant then i apologize as i thought you meant the complete opposite.

anyways onwards and upwards. I hope eminems next album is better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

I see Em went 'platinum' again. Ahh the industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Jezek

I see Em went 'platinum' again. Ahh the industry.

I thought it was people that buy albums :confused:

• Site Banned Posts: 52 ✭✭dutcher

Much better than most of the crap out their these days

dutcher wrote: »
    Much better than most of the crap out their these days

Actually, rap fans have been getting some great music 'these days'.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Doris300

It was a bad album when it came out and it's still bad but tbh I find my I think the singles tainted my view of the album. Can't get past how bad The Monster and Survival are.

• Advertisement

Jezek wrote: »
    I thought it was people that buy albums :confused:

It may be of interest to you, but 'platinum', as deemed by RIAA is determined not by albums sold but by albums shipped. Meaning that 1,000,000 doesn't need to be sold, only that amount shipped. Nick Minaj went platinum but only sold 600k. If you were to release an album tomorrow and had 1 million copies made and distributed you'd more than likely have your platinum plaque.

It may be of interest to you, but 'platinum', as deemed by RIAA is determined not by albums sold but by albums shipped. Meaning that 1,000,000 doesn't need to be sold, only that amount shipped. Nick Minaj went platinum but only sold 600k. If you were to release an album tomorrow and had 1 million copies made and distributed you'd more than likely have your platinum plaque.

Yes but all of those albums will sell eventually. Or at least the people that ordered them think they will sell! Or else they would not have ordered them. What happened to the other 400k Nicki albums? Are they in warehouses?

Jezek wrote: »
    Yes but all of those albums will sell eventually. Or at least the people that ordered them think they will sell! Or else they would not have ordered them. What happened to the other 400k Nicki albums? Are they in warehouses?

I'm not saying this album won't go platinum legit because it prolly will due to Em's fan base, it's just when people say how quick an album goes platinum, it's usually very suspect.

As for the other 400k, good question...prolly sold back or destroyed/lying idle. I do know that underground rappers who don't sell their sh*t hold onto it for the most part, not sure with mainstream artists.

I'm not saying this album won't go platinum legit because it prolly will due to Em's fan base, it's just when people say how quick an album goes platinum, it's usually very suspect.

As for the other 400k, good question...prolly sold back or destroyed/lying idle. I do know that underground rappers who don't sell their sh*t hold onto it for the most part, not sure with mainstream artists.
    it has sold 1,003,000 copies so far in the US
    http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/news/id.26321/title.hip-hop-album-sales-week-ending-11-17-2013

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Have to say this album has really grown on me, it's the closest he has done to mmlp, really good raps on it. But that duet with KendRick Lamar, Jaysus its terrible.

But overall it's a great album.

Rap God Music Video

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Might put this album on again, need to fall asleep. The rambling, old references and silly voices will do it pretty quickly.

Might put this album on again, need to fall asleep. The rambling, old references and silly voices will do it pretty quickly.
    yes cuz silly voices put ppl to sleep:confused:
    where did u come u with that one

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

MD1990 wrote: »
    yes cuz silly voices put ppl to sleep:confused:
    where did u come u with that one

When they are boring and in use with "window pain"-esque lyrics they do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

Rap god is the only song I like on this album. IMO it's worse than relapse , a lot worse.

Advertisement