Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MMLP2 - Eminem 2013 Album

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Mr. Rager

Kid Cudi,his beats are always amazing.
    I think Eminem needs to go back to letting Dr.Dre produce his album.
    Magical stuff was made when they worked together!
    ASAP and Childish Gambino also are extremely consistent in the beats department.

Have to agree with some of the others, never thought much of Em's beat selection.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Who is consistant with beats though, the majority of rappers have a lot of disappointing beats throughout their careers.

Nas, Jay and PE off the top of my head.

I am glad Dres beats for eminems last 2 albums were average, no pointing wasting any good ones on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Bread And Circuses

PrettyBoy wrote: »
    Like Relapse...?
    Personally,I enjoyed relapse.
    It wasn't his best but still enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Who is consistant with beats though, the majority of rappers have a lot of disappointing beats throughout their careers.
    Macklemore's album has great beats

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

That's true but there's a few out there with a real ear for beats and get the majority spot on but I know what your saying.

@conor do you really think nas has a good selection of beats ? I think when you weigh up the majority of his songs there's a lot more bad than good IMO in terms of beats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭evil_seed

Judging by Ems most recent offerings this album won't be very good. His last to albums were both OK. If you took the best off each you'd have got a better album. Any of his new material just seems like he's trying to hard

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Nas, Jay and PE off the top of my head.

I am glad Dres beats for eminems last 2 albums were average, no pointing wasting any good ones on him.

I cant agree with Nas and Jay because Nas has some seriously poor beats on the likes of I Am and Nostradamus. Jay has some dodgy stuff on blueprint 3.

I do agree with PE, the bomb squad are an excellent production crew

evil_seed wrote: »
    Any of his new material just seems like he's trying to hard

I disagree completely, i dont think he's trying hard enough, he's replacing his usual lyricism with mindless shouting, such a shame because we all know what he's capable of. Well at least what he's capable of on drugs.

he is trying too hard to fit in to rap in 2013
    doing all these punchlines he never did before

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

The key word that people are using is 'trying'.

He shouldn't have to try so hard. In his early career he knew what he wanted to do musically. It was that simple.

As he established himself and tried to progress his career, he couldn't evolve naturally or organically. So he had to try to adapt to the current mainstream sound and mesh with his sound and has snowballed to what it is today.

He started out as a rapper, but due to his own success he became a product. It probably doesnt help that there is a huge amount of pressure on him to continue releasing music.

I am one of the people that bash his recent output.

But I still know that he is technically still one of the best rappers around.

• Advertisement

Boom_Bap wrote: »

He shouldn't have to try so hard. In his early career he knew what he wanted to do musically. It was that simple.

As he established himself and tried to progress his career, he couldn't evolve naturally or organically. So he had to try to adapt to the current mainstream sound and mesh with his sound and has snowballed to what it is today.

He started out as a rapper, but due to his own success he became a product. It probably doesnt help that there is a huge amount of pressure on him to continue releasing music.

he did suffer writers block for 2-3 years so it probably doesn't come as naturally too him as it did before

• Registered Users Posts: 2 BrandNewGuy

Do people really want another album of eminem shouting at them for 50 minutes?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,821 ✭✭✭floggg

Boom_Bap wrote: »

I think that's one of his problems. At times he seems more concerned with showing how many syllables he can cram into a single bar, or how many punch lines he can cram in to a song than with what he's actually saying.

He just hasn't got material that connects anymore.

In fairness to him, there's few rappers out there who have been able to do it consistently on a mainstream level for any period of time.

He can't shock today's generation - they aren't going to connect with a middle aged sober guy.

And those of use who he shocked, thrilled and engaged in his prime have grown out of a lot of what drew us to him in the first place.

I'm really starting to think people ignored the lyrics on the best part of recovery... The shouting I can get but the content behind his lyrics has changed, he's openly expressed what he went through in recent years on recovery.

We can all write off relapse , the man himself wrote that off but to say you grew out of em's content is ludacris because he switched it up on recovery despite the pop features which btw is harsh because the likes of kanye who is loved here has used way more pop features aswell as his ego boosting lyrics in recent years.

regarding punchline rap
    i find its a very love/hate subject
    ive seem Eminem get alot praise for his punchlines but also alot of criticism for it too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

We can all write off relapse , the man himself wrote that off
    Why do some Eminem fans go on like this? "Relapse doesn't count, he said it himself that it doesn't count" ... couldn't care less what he thinks of it himself, it does count and it always will, especially when the question is "Why do people bash Eminem's new stuff?"

Encore was terrible too, Relapse was just worse again. It's widely considered as his weakest album, does that mean we all have to avoid talking about it and pretend it never happened?
    to say you grew out of em's content is ludacris
    lol
    despite the pop features which btw is harsh because the likes of kanye who is loved here has used way more pop features aswell as his ego boosting lyrics in recent years.
    Don't understand the last part of that comment but the issue that people have with Eminem including pop artists on his album is that in the past he would have been insulting and dissing pop artists like Bruno Mars and Rihanna. Now he's asking them for a hook. He's using them to try and make his music more appealing to a new generation of listeners.

Why do some Eminem fans go on like this? "Relapse doesn't count, he said it himself that it doesn't count" ... couldn't care less what he thinks of it himself, it does count and it always will, especially when the question is "Why do people bash Eminem's new stuff?"

Encore was terrible too, Relapse was just worse again. It's widely considered as his weakest album, does that mean we all have to avoid talking about it and pretend it never happened?

lol

Don't understand the last part of that comment but the issue that people have with Eminem including pop artists on his album is that in the past he would have been insulting and dissing pop artists like Bruno Mars and Rihanna. Now he's asking them for a hook. He's using them to try and make his music more appealing to a new generation of listeners.
    yes 10 years ago
    he's a different man now
    plus putting Rihanna on LTWYL made alot of sense imo
    but doing a song with Bruno Mars wasn't a good idea

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Bread And Circuses

MD1990 wrote: »
    yes 10 years ago
    he's a different man now

I think it's the other way around.
    At lease bruno mars is a musician,he plays many instruments and writes all his own stuff.Ye,his music might be a bit corny at times and it isn't my type of music.But Rihanna is just a over hyped karaoke singer.Talentless at best.

yes 10 years ago
    he's a different man now
    Some people would consider that selling out. I don't really care tbh, there's not too many rappers that can stay relevant for 15 years without selling out. Can't blame him.
    Of course it made sense, the song wouldn't have been half as successful it someone like Skylar Grey did the hook instead of Rihanna.

Why was doing a song with Bruno Mars a bad idea? Girls aged between 11-18 years old love the song simply because he's on there. Ask them what other songs they liked from the BME album and they won't know what you're on about.

despite the pop features which btw is harsh because the likes of kanye who is loved here has used way more pop features aswell as his ego boosting lyrics in recent years.

Features like that are something Kanye has been doing since his second album when he had Adam Levine on heard em say, its expected from kanye, when eminem starts having the likes of bruno mars and rihanna and skylar grey on his tracks its just whack as **** because he dissed tpeople like that for years. And of course Kanye's lyrics have always been ego boosting, he's been calling himself the greatest and shít since his first album.

• Advertisement

Some people would consider that selling out. I don't really care tbh, there's not too many rappers that can stay relevant for 15 years without selling out. Can't blame him.

Of course it made sense, the song wouldn't have been half as successful it someone like Skylar Grey did the hook instead of Rihanna.

Why was doing a song with Bruno Mars a bad idea? Girls aged between 11-18 years old love the song simply because he's on there. Ask them what other songs they liked from the BME album and they won't know what you're on about.
    it made sense because of the Chris Brown incident
    girls who loved Lighters because of Bruno Mars would have just bought the single though
    it was Royce Da 5"9 decision to get Bruno Mars on that track also
    it was a bad idea because Bruno Mars is the type of artist Em would have made fun earlier in his career
    Rihanna has alot of urban tracks so it was more acceptable having her on a song

• Registered Users Posts: 5,821 ✭✭✭floggg

I'm really starting to think people ignored the lyrics on the best part of recovery... The shouting I can get but the content behind his lyrics has changed, he's openly expressed what he went through in recent years on recovery.

We can all write off relapse , the man himself wrote that off but to say you grew out of em's content is ludacris because he switched it up on recovery despite the pop features which btw is harsh because the likes of kanye who is loved here has used way more pop features aswell as his ego boosting lyrics in recent years.

I want saying that he is still relying on the same subject matter.

The point is trying to make is that he obviously can't rely on the old material, but at the same time he has nothing to replace it.

I had made the point previously that now that he is trying to address more "adult" or serious topics, he's not very compelling or engaging.

I don't know what he's missing, but he lacks the ability to make me empathise with him, or to connect with his experience. So apart from beats and flow, I just don't really care what about what he has to say.

it made sense because of the Chris Brown incident
    Please, it made sense because Rihanna was (and still is) the biggest pop artist in the world. You think Eminem reached out to her and said "I think this song is a good fit for you because you've had a difficult relationship that the whole world knows about and this song is about people having difficult relationships" ...? Obviously this played a part and the label-execs were rubbing their hands together at the thought of this but, at the end of the day, it made sense because the label knew it would make a lot of money, and they were right.
    girls who loved Lighters because of Bruno Mars would have just bought the single though
    Yes. And...? :confused:
    it was Royce Da 5"9 decision to get Bruno Mars on that track also
    Really? If you believe that then you'll believe anything. It wasn't Royce's decision, it was the labels. Funny how Royce doesn't have any of these awkward, forced pop collabs on his own album but HE (not Em or the label) goes out of his way to get them on the Bad Meets Evil LP :rolleyes:
    it was a bad idea because Bruno Mars is the type of artist Em would have made fun earlier in his career
    It was a bad decision in the sense that Bruno Mars didn't fit in with the artistic theme/sound of the rest of the album. But, business-wise, it was a very good decision. That's why this forced pop collab was released as a single.
    Rihanna has alot of urban tracks so it was more acceptable having her on a song
    The only thing remotely urban about 'Love The Way You Lie' are Eminem's verses. Pop beat, pop hook, 2 pop stars, pop single. May as well have been Taylor Swift doing the hook.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

when he had Adam Levine on heard em say, its expected from kanye

And of course Kanye's lyrics have always been ego boosting, he's been calling himself the greatest and shít since his first album.

Banger of a song, Kanye can pull it off. No one, no one can say that song is either corny or selling out or out of place on that album. That is the major difference.

Whatever about 808 etc, the rest of his work is solid. Yeah exactly Kanye has been consistent and in fairness been around at his height for as long as Em actively putting out music.

Eminem at his height was never top 10 for me, his recent crap means he should never be mentioned top10 objectively.

The point is trying to make is that he obviously can't rely on the old material, but at the same time he has nothing to replace it.

i honestly think he has replaced it... I think recovery showed a lot of maturity , it was his first ever album without a corny trademark song that usually is his lead single instead we got im not afraid which i honestly think is a great song and has some very honest verses.

I had made the point previously that now that he is trying to address more "adult" or serious topics, he's not very compelling or engaging.

i suppose its a matter of opinion, i found the content interesting for the best part now granted there is a few tracks i dont like on recovery aswell like white trash party etc.
    I don't know what he's missing, but he lacks the ability to make me empathise with him, or to connect with his experience. So apart from beats and flow, I just don't really care what about what he has to say.

the best thing to do would be to just take his music in your stride because he has changed ,everything from his personality to music. You never know the album isnt even out yet nor have we heard anything from it so we cant judge it yet or guess what its going to sound like because nobody taught recovery would sound the way it did.:)

kanye was corny as f*ck on 808 that is the ultimate sell out album turned his back on hip hop for a commercial pop album. mbdtf isnt all that great either imo, its the one album i can honestly say is all over the place production wise i mean talk about cramming features in for the sake of it i.e niki, ross etc horrible verses in saying that there was some great songs on it too but i wouldnt be mad on it personally and on kanye in general , loved him on WTT though taught he carried jay.

kanye was corny as f*ck on 808 that is the ultimate sell out album turned his back on hip hop for a commercial pop album.
    Turned his back? Would you ever get a grip, he was and still a hip-hop artist. He didn't sell out, he decided that he wanted to experiment and create an album that sounded completely different from any other and, in fairness, he did a brilliant job. It's not something I'd listen to myself tbh but I've heard it several times and if you take it for what it is, it's very good.
    mbdtf isnt all that great either imo, its the one album i can honestly say is all over the place production wise i mean talk about cramming features in for the sake of it
    Of all albums.. :rolleyes: I'm not even a big Kanye fan tbh but MBDTF is an absolutely incredible album, it's brilliant from start to finish. A few of the songs have a lot of features but they work well. Are you going to tell me 'So Appalled' and 'Monster' are bad songs? :P

You have some really twisted views on several albums released in recent years. You tend to change your mind about albums and go back on your word a lot as well as giving extremely vague, non-sensical reasons why you think the albums aren't good (ie. production on MBDTF is "all over the place", GKMC is too "commercial", BISD is "better than GRODT", etc).

Prettyboy take a hint and do one and stop trying to cause more arguments troll.

Prettyboy take a hint and do one and stop trying to cause more arguments troll.

No ones looking for an argument but there's simply no logic in your reasoning. Ignore me if you want, doesn't bother me, but if you keep saying things like MBDTF production is all over the place and GKMC is too commercial you can keep expecting a response from me.

Eminem samples Brit singer

Eminem has sampled little known British artist Jamie N Commons on his new single.

The 'Not Afraid' rapper has used a section of the singer's vocals on a track he is expected to release as his big comeback this summer.

A source told The Sun newspaper: ''The song features the hook of one of Jamie's tracks and Eminem rapping the verses.

''It's scheduled to be Eminem's big single this summer when he headlines the Reading and Leeds festivals in the UK.

''Jamie already has a good buzz around him in the music industry but now Eminem's endorsement of him is a huge deal.''

Eminem famously helped kick start the career of another British singer, Dido, by sampling her track 'Thank You' for his 2001 hit 'Stan'. She subsequently went on to sell over 16 million copies of her debut 'No Angel'.

Jamie is signed to the record label run by producer Alex Da Kid, who is working on Eminem's new album, and previously produced his mega hit 'Love the Way You Lie' which featured Rihanna.

Another track on Eminem's album - the follow to 2010's 'Recovery' - features Lady Gaga and rapper Kendrick Lamar.

He said: ''Yeah, I got this crazy record with Gaga and Kendrick for the upcoming LP. Its called 'Street Lights', and its just a real upbeat record.''

http://www.tv3.ie/entertainment_article.php?locID=1.803.810&article=94793

• Advertisement

Fùckin lady gaga, what is he at doing anything with that yoke

Advertisement