Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MMLP2 - Eminem 2013 Album

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Wouldn't get too carried away by the name.. Didn't snoop bring out doggy style 2 in attempt to remake a modern classic and fail miserably?

Jay z got it right with bp2 and then horribly wrong with bp3... The only person to hit the nail on the head for me was dre with the chronic and chronic 2001 but I'm pretty sure he'd fail in another attempt going by his most recent stuff.

Em was in his prime during the mmlp same with jay with bp2. When jay z brought out the bp3 he was well past it , I think a sober eminem should take not and leave the mmlp legacy well alone.

Still buzzing for it though as any new eminem album.
    calling it MMLP 2 could be a marketing ploy for record sales

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

MD1990 wrote: »
    calling it MMLP 2 could be a marketing ploy for record sales

Doubt it , eminem is the one rapper who doesn't really need a marketing ploy he could release a blank cd and it would still sell more than most.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,744 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Berzerk just played on Shade 45, missed out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭HighClass

Single sounds good, he's switched his delivery and flow back to his older sounding one. Best thing he's put out since Relapse imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Syndic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 mattklis

New single from Shady.

CDQ: Eminem - Berzerk

• Registered Users Posts: 29,835 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Needs a few more listens alright but don't think I want to. Not sounding very MMLP so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

im liking the new single

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭bigpoppa

I am trying to essentially jack the beastie boys (even the graphic of the g' blaster) is what i am thinking then I hear a beastie sample and see it is produced by Rick Rubin - seriously?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Laim

Not liking it really, that aint no slim shady.... hope the rest of the album is better

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

Will give it a listen properly later can't really hear it properly on the speaker on my phone in work.

No doubt there'll be a more serious single to come , usually em has a comical like track followed by something with a bit more depth.

Here's to another the way I am !

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Love the beat, it's excellent.
    First verse is grand.
    Once he starts singing, good jaysus, it starts to get painful.
    Then the second verse with the stopidy stop type rap does not work well. Then we have the singing again again. Ew.
    Then more stopidy stuttery rap which doesnt work out too well. Then more singing.

It could have been great with a lovely bit of Beastie throwback nostalgia, but it doesnt work overall for me.

Again, Eminem, if you are reading, which I'm sure you are. Please stop singing. Get Funzo on the hook instead or something.

I'm waiting for another rapper to do something over that class beat. He should be taking shots at other rappers instead of 'ugly kardashians'. I don't think this will be his 1st official single, just a taster of the album.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Great production by Dre and Rick Rubin. Better for kendrick getting a mention. Better than relapse and recovery but hardly a high bar and that stupid voice he puts on is kinda still around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭HighClass

sheehy83 wrote: »
    I'm waiting for another rapper to do something over that class beat. He should be taking shots at other rappers instead of 'ugly kardashians'. I don't think this will be his 1st official single, just a taster of the album.

He takes shots at Cheif Keef, Kendrick, Future, Birdman, Rick Ross & I think a few others, I can't remember, in the new track tho..

HighClass wrote: »
    He takes shots at Cheif Keef, Kendrick, Future, Birdman, Rick Ross & I think a few others, I can't remember, in the new track tho..

Shyte, better go back and have another listen.

I like it. He seems to be taking a route that I've wanted him to take.

The beat is immense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

I hate it. Seriously what's with the shouting? Not really feeling the beat much either tbh. Plus the hook is terrible. I don't think there is any replay value with this. I might be a little harsh, but I really though Em could turn it around after Recovery...seems not. Please just give us some Relapse esque sh*t as that's the most you could hope for here...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

I like it. The beat is great. It's better than most of the tunes he has released in the last few years, but that's not too hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,787 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Amazing beat but the singing is painful to listen to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

i hate it and most know im a massive Eminem fan. Terrible song

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Iano_128

HighClass wrote: »

He takes a shot at Kendrick? Did ya listen to the lyrics at all before writing this or just hear the word Kendrick and assume he dissed him? He gave a shout out to Kendrick for Kendrick recognising him as one of the best in the game in his verse on Control.

He also doesn't take a shot at Birdman, he says he hasn't called anyone baby since Birdman (Him also being known by the Hip Hop community as Baby).

I think you've heard names dropped in that song and just assumed he was dissing them.

What are/were people expecting from this album?

I think this is going to be one of his best ever! We get the return of Slim Shady which I haven't seen anyone mention here, that adds a whole new style to what he did on Recovery as you can hear on Berzerk, which I think is an amazing song. He's gone back to his Slim Shady alter ego, there are some amazing lyrics in it:

That's why my pen needs a pad cause my rhymes on the ra-hag
    Plus I just showed up with a coat fresher than wet paint

To just name 2 of them.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but I don't see what's not to like. I for one am buzzing for the album to drop. The return of Slim Shady.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,787 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

What are/were people expecting from this album?

To be honest the album's title annoys me. Eminem is not the same guy - for good for bad - that recorded Marshall Mathers LP, which is one of my favourite albums of all time. I'm intrigued as to why he would want to release a named follow-up to it, but at the same time I wish he wouldn't. Hip hop is the only genre I can think of where people release 'sequels' to classic albums.

'The return of Slim Shady' - people have been saying this ever since he fell off big time and when a new track comes out they shout it out everywhere..."omg Slim is back <3"

No he isn't. That part of Eminem is well and truly gone and finished. This is nothing like Slim Shady, nothing at all. He's angry, woop-d-do...means nothing.

What annoys me the most over this album is the fact that the title is and will be so disrespectful to the original. No doubt this new album will have loads of typical pop sounding rehashed bullsh*t that appeals to the generic pop music lovers....and that'll lead to his stans saying his new album is better than the original, that Eminem is still the best ever and 5ever and that he's bringing in more fans with his pop records.... Quote Xzibit: B*tch please you must have a mental disease

'The return of Slim Shady' - people have been saying this ever since he fell off big time and when a new track comes out they shout it out everywhere..."omg Slim is back <3"

No he isn't. That part of Eminem is well and truly gone and finished. This is nothing like Slim Shady, nothing at all. He's angry, woop-d-do...means nothing.

What annoys me the most over this album is the fact that the title is and will be so disrespectful to the original. No doubt this new album will have loads of typical pop sounding rehashed bullsh*t that appeals to the generic pop music lovers....and that'll lead to his stans saying his new album is better than the original, that Eminem is still the best ever and 5ever and that he's bringing in more fans with his pop records.... Quote Xzibit: B*tch please you must have a mental disease

How can ya say Slim Shady isn't back? he's gone back to dying his hair blonde which was always Slim Shadys TM, he references in the song that Slim Shady is back, and that hasn't been the case in a good few years since he "killed" Slim Shady.

I won't disagree that he has put out a lot of pop-ish sounding songs in his last album, but I think all he's trying to do is change with the times. If you listen to a song himself, Jay Z, 50 & Dre have together called Syllables, him (and the rest) all say how they hate the way the game has changed and how it's gone. If you look at what he's bringing to the game (in terms of Slaughterhouse, Yelawolf and himself) he is one of very few rappers trying to keep Hip Hop about Lyrics.

Dying his hair means nothing. If Ice Cube got jheri curls does that mean he's going back to his NWA days? Nope...and he isn't trying to fool anyone either.

You gotta realise that Slim Shady was when Em actually cared about the culture and the authenticity of his music. It was strictly for Hip Hop. That changed years ago. That's why Slim 'disappeared' and reappears every odd track....that isn't Slim. That's Eminem trying to create buzz off the thing that got him where he is today. He simply mentions a Slim reference or has a bar that's a little risky. That isn't Slim Shady.

That's why so many people have complained about how Eminem has gotten so bad (no pun intended) and why his pop fame (has always been pretty high) has exploded by collabing with pop artists who're on everyone's lips. He's a complete sell out.

His song Underground really tells the story. Slim is 'underground' now...you can't find him.

And your last statement is bullsh*t. Frankly Slaughterhouse are doing more for the good of Hip Hop than Em is and that's saying something. And if you think Em is keeping it about the lyrics you're taking the piss. Start listening to some underground hip hop, stuff you never hear on the radio. Eminem is strictly for the money, the airtime and the laughable 'awards'.

And yeah Dre and Jigga. Dre is as bad as Eminem. He goes from The Chronic's to the sh*tty 'Detox' tracks. Dre fell off damn hard. Jay is the same but Jay is a genius. Sure he fell off but he still makes tolerable music. His new album has very pop appealing tracks but he has some decent tracks that wouldn't look out of place on his older albums. There isn't a song on Recovery that would fit in Eminem's old albums.

Dying his hair means nothing. If Ice Cube got jheri curls does that mean he's going back to his NWA days? Nope...and he isn't trying to fool anyone either.

You gotta realise that Slim Shady was when Em actually cared about the culture and the authenticity of his music. It was strictly for Hip Hop. That changed years ago. That's why Slim 'disappeared' and reappears every odd track....that isn't Slim. That's Eminem trying to create buzz off the thing that got him where he is today. He simply mentions a Slim reference or has a bar that's a little risky. That isn't Slim Shady.

That's why so many people have complained about how Eminem has gotten so bad (no pun intended) and why his pop fame (has always been pretty high) has exploded by collabing with pop artists who're on everyone's lips. He's a complete sell out.

His song Underground really tells the story. Slim is 'underground' now...you can't find him.

And your last statement is bullsh*t. Frankly Slaughterhouse are doing more for the good of Hip Hop than Em is and that's saying something. And if you think Em is keeping it about the lyrics you're taking the piss. Start listening to some underground hip hop, stuff you never hear on the radio. Eminem is strictly for the money, the airtime and the laughable 'awards'.

And yeah Dre and Jigga. Dre is as bad as Eminem. He goes from The Chronic's to the sh*tty 'Detox' tracks. Dre fell off damn hard. Jay is the same but Jay is a genius. Sure he fell off but he still makes tolerable music. His new album has very pop appealing tracks but he has some decent tracks that wouldn't look out of place on his older albums. There isn't a song on Recovery that would fit in Eminem's old albums.

Well we're going to have to agree to disagree on the fact that Eminem doesn't care about the music. I think he very much does and I think that'll be a factor for why he's trying to bring Slim Shady back, he knows it's what made him and I think he knows it gives him a lot more freedom on tracks that he can go back to doing and saying what he wants. I will agree that Recovery was a very toned down, serious Eminem that did have a major pop feel to it, and I won't mention Relapse.

I listen to plenty of underground Hip Hop and I still think Eminem is a far better lyricist than most of them, fair enough he's been collaborating with pop stars a lot more than he should and personally I hate how famous he's gotten since around Recovery, I'd take Eminem's old stuff any day over his new stuff but he's changed and times have changed. He's nearly 40 now, do you really want to hear him talking about popping vicatins and putting his guinea pigs in the microwave? People change with age, same goes for rap.

• Advertisement

Again I disagree that he's bringing Slim back but if we assume so why does he need to do that? You say he's changed with the times, no problem with that...but why would he go back to Slim if he's apparently past that stage and different now. Like it's a bit of a paradox.

If he wants to return to Slim you damn well better hope he's gruesome and grim as f*ck. That's what Slim Shady is. The fact that he's in the latter years of his career and the state of music today is proof enough that Slim is finished. He simply can't go back to Slim. He's too big now. He's too much in the public eye. Kids look up to Em. The majority of them don't understand Em's old music. He can't just go back there now. That's why I said Slim is finished. It's impossible for him to bring him back properly.

Advertisement