Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

county tops challenge

Options
  • 12-01-2013 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭

evening all. i've decided to do the county tops challenge, hiking to the highest point in each county over the next 12 months.

started today with kippure though i did cheat slightly by just strolling up the road, hopefully i;ll do it cross country later in the year!

has anyone else done this (the county tops not cheating on kippure!)? i've read murray nolan's blog, which is probably what gave me the idea of doing it myself but welcome anyone else's experiences or suggestions!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭paulocon2

evening all. i've decided to do the county tops challenge, hiking to the highest point in each county over the next 12 months.

started today with kippure though i did cheat slightly by just strolling up the road, hopefully i;ll do it cross country later in the year!

has anyone else done this (the county tops not cheating on kippure!)? i've read murray nolan's blog, which is probably what gave me the idea of doing it myself but welcome anyone else's experiences or suggestions!

Doing it myself at the moment and it's very popular.

I run a website in my spare time and am covering some of the County Tops on it, the last one I done a piece on was Slieve Gullion and you can see the piece at http://www.walkingandhikingireland.com/the-county-tops-number-6-slieve-gullion-county-armagh/ (Mods, please remove this link it is a problem posting it).

Am also drawing up a list of people who completed the tops and will run that on the website - have had a couple of pieces in from completers which I'll also be adding soon.

It's a great challenge and a great way of getting to places you'd probably otherwise never visit. Drop me a PM if you need to discuss any of the tops, I've done quite a few more than are listed on the website.

Any snow up on Kippure today - haven't been down the Wicklow Mountains in quite some time. There's an IMRA race up Kippure over the summer which I'll be taking part in...

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭micawber

Sounds like a great project for my retirement.
    Re Kippure - I'd put in a shout for Seehan as the county top for Dublin as it lies completely within the county bounds, whereas Kippure seems to straddle both Wicklow and Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

paulocon2 wrote: »
    Doing it myself at the moment and it's very popular.

I run a website in my spare time and am covering some of the County Tops on it, the last one I done a piece on was Slieve Gullion and you can see the piece at http://www.walkingandhikingireland.com/the-county-tops-number-6-slieve-gullion-county-armagh/ (Mods, please remove this link it is a problem posting it).

Am also drawing up a list of people who completed the tops and will run that on the website - have had a couple of pieces in from completers which I'll also be adding soon.

It's a great challenge and a great way of getting to places you'd probably otherwise never visit. Drop me a PM if you need to discuss any of the tops, I've done quite a few more than are listed on the website.

Any snow up on Kippure today - haven't been down the Wicklow Mountains in quite some time. There's an IMRA race up Kippure over the summer which I'll be taking part in...

thanks paul, i may well take you up on the offer as i go along.
    no snow on kippure yesterday, very poor visibility also. i could barely see the mast even when standing at the fence that surrounds it! i guess such weather is one of the hazards of hill-walking in ireland!

i'm hoping to do lugnaquilla next weekend, am hoping there might be snow up there.

micawber wrote: »
    Sounds like a great project for my retirement.
    Re Kippure - I'd put in a shout for Seehan as the county top for Dublin as it lies completely within the county bounds, whereas Kippure seems to straddle both Wicklow and Dublin.

that's the case for a few of the county tops, ie mount leinster straddles wexford & carlow and is considered to be the highest point in both.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭micawber

that's the case for a few of the county tops, ie mount leinster straddles wexford & carlow and is considered to be the highest point in both.

Granted but Wicklow has its own high point.
    Seehan is a I think a more interesting climb and can be done as part of a circuit that takes in a few megaliths.

• Advertisement

thanks paul, i may well take you up on the offer as i go along.
    no snow on kippure yesterday, very poor visibility also. i could barely see the mast even when standing at the fence that surrounds it! i guess such weather is one of the hazards of hill-walking in ireland!

i'm hoping to do lugnaquilla next weekend, am hoping there might be snow up there.

No problem. Just give me a shout if needs be. Let me know when you are doing Slieve Foye or Gullion and I might join you.

I've been up Kippure twice and both times couldn't see the mast - no idea what the views are like from up there..

Wait for a clear day to do Lug - can be hazardous in bad weather and it's worth waiting for a clear day for the views.

Look forward to hearing how you get on.

True, a number of tops are shared, see http://www.walkingandhikingireland.com/the-ireland-county-high-point-challenge/ for a list of all the tops..

micawber wrote: »
    Granted but Wicklow has its own high point.
    Seehan is a I think a more interesting climb and can be done as part of a circuit that takes in a few megaliths.

That's a great walk. Done it a few years back. Also done an IMRA race last summer which took in Seahan and Seefingan - was very boggy ever in mid-summer!

never been up seehan, another for the to-do list!

yeah i've been up lug on a clear day before, cracking views. fingers crossed it's cold enough for snow but clear enough to enjoy ourselves! no worries on slieve foye & gullion, will have to work out a plan of attack beyond the next few weeks, got lug, galtymore & mount leinster lined up but yet to figure out what weekends i have free beyond february.

never been up seehan, another for the to-do list!

yeah i've been up lug on a clear day before, cracking views. fingers crossed it's cold enough for snow but clear enough to enjoy ourselves! no worries on slieve foye & gullion, will have to work out a plan of attack beyond the next few weeks, got lug, galtymore & mount leinster lined up but yet to figure out what weekends i have free beyond february.

You'll easily fit Slieve Foye and Slieve Gullion into the same day if you want to take the short 'up and down' routes.

If doing them in the summer, it would be longer considering doing the full Carlingford ridge (from Long Woman's Grave to Slieve Foye) to get a real appreciation for the Cooley Mountains. Likewise, you can do a longer walk around Gullion and it's a mountain well worth exploring.

You could make a weekend of it and take in Donard as well when you are up that way!

• Advertisement

i'd been planning on doing galtymore this coming sunday. it's not gonna work out with this weather is it? :(

lugnaquilla already had to be shelved the weekend just gone.

i'd been planning on doing galtymore this coming sunday. it's not gonna work out with this weather is it? :(

lugnaquilla already had to be shelved the weekend just gone.

It all depends, some might say it would be fun...as long as it keeps snowing!

yeah but half a metre or more as someone described being on top of kippure this weekend would make for a tough hike!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 magoko101

I've completed a fair few of these so might look at completing the full set.

Thanks for the list!

magoko101 wrote: »
    I've completed a fair few of these so might look at completing the full set.

Thanks for the list!

No problem!

where kippure, dublin, 757m, county top no. 1
    when 12 jan 2013
    distance 7.43km
    ascent 227m
    weather dry, very cold, very cloudy
    how it went i'd thought about doing a proper climb to the summit but ditched that idea fairly quickly, figuring getting to stretch the legs at all was better than nothing. the cloud cover was so low & thick that we could never really see more than a short distance in front but it was great to get out for a bit of fresh air and get going on the county tops challenge!

here's a pic which kinda highlights how bad the weather was...nothing shoddy about the photography though!

where galtymore, limerick & tipperary, 919m, county top no. 2
    when 27 jan 2013
    distance 12.08km
    ascent 664m
    weather wind, cold, snow & hail
    how it went a snow capped peak! was a lovely day starting out but gradually deteriorated. once we got up to the end of the path (climbed from black road side) the wind was in our faces the rest of the way and it was a real battle at times. underfoot was pretty boggy too, right until half way up the final climb to the summit. at the summit it was really difficult to stay upright it was so windy, we were lucky though that we got a break in the clouds while at the peak so had amazing views once we could steady ourselves against the wind! on the way back down we had the worst hailstorm i've ever been in, that said it was the best day i've had out in a long time :)

couple of pics
    P1030734.jpg

where mullaghmeen, westmeath, 258m, county top no. 3
    when 03 feb 2013
    distance 4.62km
    ascent 146m
    weather fairly mild with some drizzle
    how it went really well, once we found the place. everything i read in advance suggested it'd be hard to find and it was, sketchy signposting and the presence of several hills of similar size dotted around the area made it fairly confusing! the area was lovely and really different to most of the hikes / walks i'd usually do, what with it being a beach forest and all. unfortunately the low cloud cover hid clearer views of lough sheelin to the north which looked kinda nice through the haze. it also looks like the branch which had been stuck into the cairn to mark the summit had been removed!

couple of pics

when 03 feb 2013
    distance 4.62km
    ascent 146m
    how it went really well, once we found the place. everything i read in advance suggested it'd be hard to find and it was, sketchy signposting and the presence of several hills of similar size dotted around the area made it fairly confusing! the area was lovely and really different to most of the hikes / walks i'd usually do, what with it being a beach forest and all. unfortunately the low cloud cover hid clearer views of lough sheelin to the north which looked kinda nice through the haze. it also looks like the branch which had been stuck into the cairn to mark the summit had been removed!

couple of pics

Great reports. Do keep them coming!

when 03 feb 2013
    distance 4.62km
    ascent 146m

couple of pics

Hi,

Just wondering how your challenge is going. I added another 'County Top' piece to the website. It's on Slieve Donard in the Mourne Mountains and you can see it at:
    http://www.walkingandhikingireland.com/the-county-tops-number-7-slieve-donard-mourne-mountains-county-down/

• Advertisement

Mullaghmeen is a lovely spot alright... you should have headed to Loughcrew n got in the Meath highpoint while you were there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

when 03 feb 2013
    distance 4.62km
    ascent 146m

This might help anyone else looking to visit Mullaghmeen - you can download a map

http://www.coillteoutdoors.ie/?id=53&rec_site=57

Mullaghmeen is a lovely spot alright... you should have headed to Loughcrew n got in the Meath highpoint while you were there!

Loughcrew is a fantastic wee spot alright and a handy walk from the car-park. One of the more interesting County Tops!

Hi,

Just wondering how your challenge is going. I added another 'County Top' piece to the website. It's on Slieve Donard in the Mourne Mountains and you can see it at:
    http://www.walkingandhikingireland.com/the-county-tops-number-7-slieve-donard-mourne-mountains-county-down/

hi paul, have been on a go slow for the last couple of weeks, both in terms of county tops and getting back to you...apologies for the second one, on the first i'm only disappointing myself!

so, tomorrow i'm doing loughcrew and possibly corn hill too. i've to head to carrick-on-shannon for a stag so figured i might as well do something healthy en route! both will be dependant on the back roads being in decent nick and me getting out of bed in time :) next friday i'll get mount leinster in on my way back up from wexford.

i know :o

was very tight for time though and sure i'll squeeze it in tomorrow anyway :)

Loughcrew is a fantastic wee spot alright and a handy walk from the car-park. One of the more interesting County Tops!

good to hear :)

Just for Loughcrew info.... you can get the key for the cairn from Loughcrew itself... and during the summer months there should be someone on duty.

As for Slieve Donard tomorrow if anyone is interested... there are a load of paragliders looking to take off from it so might be an interesting day to make the trip up there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

next friday i'll get mount leinster in on my way back up from wexford.

Well, make sure you do a decent walk on Mount Leinster - don't be 'sneaking up' the RTE road!! :) It really is a mountain that deserves a lot more, not least for it's cultural & historical associations. Every time I see it now and the growth of masts on it's summit, I can't help but think that this hill has been the subject of very considerable state vandalism.

The Ballycrystal approach is the standard way up but I think an ascent via Crannagh has a lot to be said for it. There's a small Coillte forest just where Crannagh is written on OS Sheet 68, it has standing stone and forts in it.

There's a partially marked forest road up to this forest, but it extends well up. When it ends, keep rightish and follow your nose up tracks and you'll reach open ground above

where lough crew / slieve na calliagh, meath, 279m, county top no. 4
    when 23 feb 2013
    distance 1.42km
    ascent 63m
    weather cold & dry
    how it went the thing that struck me most about meath as i headed down past kells was the number of signs for walkways and places of interest, historical or otherwise. i'm not sure why it struck me to such an extent yesterday but it's such a positive thing, would be good if a lot of other counties could follow their lead as there are a lot of amenities out there that could be better flagged.
    loughcrew itself was very easy to find, being signposted from the kells to oldcastle road. there was a sign up at the start about getting the key for the cairn alright but i was tight for time so just did the walk but fully plan on getting back to explore further. the walk was short & fairly steep, as expected and took no more than 10 to 15 mins to get to the top. it starts out heading up a nice pathway but changes quite quickly into open hillside, with the cairn coming into view after a couple of minutes. when on top the views are quite spectacular on a clear day and a friendly local gent was happy to point out exactly what we were looking at in each direction. the cooley mountains and dublin mountains were just 2 that he showed me, it's always nice to meet like minded & friendly people when out and about!

r93j2p.jpg

j5e5p3.jpg

• Advertisement

where corn hill, longford, 278m, county top no. 5
    when 23 feb 2013
    distance 1.81km
    ascent 56m
    weather cold & dry
    how it went my second stop of the day, this one was a little harder to find! i'd bunged derrynacross into my sat-nav but it turned out it landed me on the wrong side of the hill...the hill itself could be seen from many miles away as it really is fairly flat countryside but it wasn't clear from where i was coming from that i was heading for the wrong side. after the extensive & helpful signposting in meath, longford let me down a bit! anyway, a helpful local gave me directions which got me to the point from where corn hill was signposted.
    the walk / climb itself isn't up to much. once you've passed the multitude of warning signs at the gate a stroll up the rte access road as far as the mast and then around the mast to the point where the peak is identified by an ordinance survey marker. the views from the top are shielded somewhat by trees but from a little lower down there are good views of the surrounding countryside and i reckoned i could see back to where i'd come from earlier in the day! the big negative which occurred to me as i drove away from corn hill was the realisation that most of the handy county tops, both in terms of climbs and convenience, are now done. my struggles in finding the access point to corn hill also drove home the fact that i might need to put a bit more effort into planning from here on!

332mhz4.jpg
    aeu0xf.jpg

Advertisement