Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internal audio jack broken in sony Vaio

Options
  • 12-01-2013 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭

Hi.

So I dropped my reliable sony Vaio VGN-NR38e on its right side. This pushed the headphones into the laptop and broke off the internal audio jack.

I took it apart and removed the jack. But now I get no sound from the internal speakers.

I tried using a USB soundcard I got from ebay but the quality was pretty (crackling) bad and it seemed to heat up my headphones!

So I've decided to try and replace the missing audio jack. I assume I need to clean out the existing solder and then soler the new one in. I just have a couple of questions:

What type of glue should I use to fix the jack to the motherboard?

Also where is the best place to get a replacement jack? The old one just has FOXCONN written on it. I've been googling pictures of internal jacks and none of them seem to match the one I need. Is there a place in dublin I could buy a replacement one? (Tried maplin and they didn't have anything)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

http://www.ehow.com/how_12119048_replace-headphone-jack-sony-vaio-laptop.html
    i think you can use any headphone jack,as long as its got the same wires to connect to motherboard,and its the right size, 3.5mm to fit the port.
    and wire is long enough to reach outside port,look for connecting, wires that are same color as ones you have now.
    try electronic recycling finglas,
    or put on ads on adverts.ie wanted ,vaio laptop parts,
    Tips & Warnings
    You can order the daughter card with the headphone and microphone jacks from Sony or leading online laptop specialty retailers.

Always use an antistatic wrist strap when working on your Sony VAIO laptop. Parts inside the laptop are very sensitive to damage from electrostatic discharge.

Some older VAIO laptops have headphone or microphone jacks soldered to the main board. If your VAIO does not have a daughter card with the jacks, take the laptop to a professional repair shop unless you are skilled with a soldering iron and desoldering tool.
    they,ll sell you parts ,if they have an old sony vaio in stock,
    or they,ll put on a new headphone port,cost around 5o euro, or less.
    they do laptop repairs.
    or buy a usb sound card, maplins or peats, read a review be4 u buy.
    Then go to ontrol panel, system,device manager,
    remove internal sound card, from device manager,or disable it.
    go to control panel,audio,propertys, set use this device,
    usb sound card .

Advertisement