Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best HD media player??

Options
  • 12-01-2013 10:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 659 ✭✭✭

Hey all

I've been using the Iomega Screenplay Plus HD media player for the last year to watch a variety of movies on my TV. However, this version of the Iomega does not play mp4 or MKV files.

So, I have 2 question for you guys and gals as follows;

1. Can anyone recommend a HD media player that plays most file formats (around 1 tb will be fine)?
    2. Is there any way to hack my Iomega to play mp4 and mkv files?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

Can you not convert your files to those it will play? Free software is available. I use format factory myself for things like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 659 ✭✭✭ToadVine

Thrill wrote: »
    Can you not convert your files to those it will play? Free software is available. I use format factory myself for things like that.

Nope ... I want to avoid converting files. I'm looking for recommendations for a new media payer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

As far as I know VLC media player (software) will play anything you throw at it or are you on about hardware?

I hook my laptop to the tv via hdmi and play all my stuff that way.

I think the problem with hardware players not being able to play all types of files has to do with patents.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

I have the wd Tv live hub, 1 tb, plays anything I throw at it (Mkvs mp4s) . The only thing against it is its slow navigating the menu's. I got it about 2 years ago, Im sure there are quicker ones out there now!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

I have the Lacie LaCinema Classic 2tb for about 3 years now and it is incredible. Plays everything I throw at it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭richardw001

ToadVine wrote: »
    Hey all

I've been using the Iomega Screenplay Plus HD media player for the last year to watch a variety of movies on my TV. However, this version of the Iomega does not play mp4 or MKV files.

So, I have 2 question for you guys and gals as follows;

1. Can anyone recommend a HD media player that plays most file formats (around 1 tb will be fine)?
    2. Is there any way to hack my Iomega to play mp4 and mkv files?

Thanks in advance.
    Here's an option - get a cheap 30 euro media player off Amazon and plug it into the iomega (use the iomega as a hard drive)

Advertisement