Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Male dog becoming aggressive

• 12-01-2013 11:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭

Hi,
    I have two dogs just who are just over two years old (same litter) one male the other female, they are Labrador x Bernese mountain dogs, they are both neutered and trained, get walked 3 miles every day, never had a problem with them before they were both very friendly dogs.
    We had a new baby two weeks ago and we have noticed a change in the male dog, when my wife was giving attention to the female dog yesterday he started growling at the female dog.
    The last two nights the male dog has been barking aggressively and growling at the female dog when they were in bed for the night, last night I would have had to remove him from the kitchen were hey have always slept.
    Nothing like this has ever happened before the introduction of the baby.

I am not sure what to do, can anyone offer me advice?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

Its the instinct in the dog to get protective and sounds like he doesnt want the female dog near the baby and the growling when your wife is giving her attention is to show her this. It could happen the other way too that the female gets protective. Its a change for them both and he's trying to find his place all over again. (this is just an opinion I cant say I'm a professional but I've seen this before with family dogs) Hopefully more people here can help a little bit on how to solve the issue before it stresses the whole family out. (Im due my first baby in 12 weeks and have a 2 and half year old male dog too just hoping his temperment doesnt change)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

What did you do to prepare the dogs for the arrival of the baby OP? Cograts btw! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭noiniho

tk123 wrote: »
    What did you do to prepare the dogs for the arrival of the baby OP? Cograts btw! :)

Thanks for the congrats :)
    We brought them to obedience classes when they were puppies for 12 months, so they were in control friendly dogs, since the baby came I firstly allowed them to smell some of the babies clothes but only when they are sitting calmly, now they don't even take that much notice when I do this, in fact they just lie down now when I am coming near them. I have been bringing them into the kitchen when my wife and baby are there, but I have them on their leads, they don't seem to take much notice of the baby really, a major change is that the attention time with my wife has reduced alot, and they are no longer left in the sitting room anymore where they would lay down in front of the fire every evening

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Gormal

Not knowing your background routines etc. But from the outside looking in, I would say that the male dog is the top dog so to speak. so when your wife gave attention to the female, he was not impressed. It's kinda like jealousy, obviously there's a pecking order. You should have given them both equal attention, probably him 1st.

It's a big thing having a baby and everyone has to get used to it, it's easy to forget that pets are affected by it as well. The dogs need to get used to the baby being around, slow introductions so they know that the baby is now part on the family unit.

You also mentioned that you have changed their routine in the evenings, you should try to keep to the old routine as much as possible, otherwise they will feel excluded and perhaps this is where the rivalry is coming from, when your wife gave attention to the female.

Sometimes you have to think of dogs like kids, after all you wouldn't put the kids out of the room for the evenings would you? the Dogs consider themselves part of your unit.

Advertisement