Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best Ever Man Utd v Liverpool matches

• 12-01-2013 11:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭

I'd say as a Utd fan one that sticks in my head is Dec 31 1988, Liverpool were in their pomp Barnes, Rush et al, they took the lead through John Barnes, then Utd roared back to win 3-1, Russell Beardsmore providing a cross for Mark Hughes, what made victory all the sweeter was it was at a time when I thought Utd would never win the league, it was still 4 years in the future.

I'd say Koppites would particularly have enjoyed the 2-0 at Anfield in April 1992, when Utd chucked away their games against Forest, West Ham and Liverpool, gifting the title to Leeds.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

the 3-3 at anfield surely will go down as one of the best ever?

united went 3-0 up and then it was 3-2 in no time, ruddock equalised with about 10 left and United missed a few late chances to win it.

nighttime game, cracking atmosphere and english football at its best. i dont think any game has been near it since.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Man U 1 Liverpool 4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

United 4 Liverpool 0 02/03:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

United 4 Liverpool 0 02/03:)
    5starpool wrote: »
    Man U 1 Liverpool 4

i know both of ye are only looking for a rise, but both of these games, were not good games. if you honestly believe they are the best United v liverpool games over time, then its smalltime to say the least.

sad thing is, alot of people on both sides, will believe the games were the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭markie29

the 3-3 at anfield the best game between the 2 sides i can remember

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

It's hard to recall amazing games aside from the ones that have already been mentioned. As a united fan, John O'Shea grabbing a winner in injury time at anfield after it was scarcely deserved was pretty special!

Looking forward to the game tomorrow, I have the height of respect for Liverpool and the atmosphere they generate at Anfield is incredible.

i know both of ye are only looking for a rise, but both of these games, were not good games. if you honestly believe they are the best United v liverpool games over time, then its smalltime to say the least.

sad thing is, alot of people on both sides, will believe the games were the best.

Oh its no rise. I firmly enjoyed that game. Was at it which helped.

The 3-3 draw from January 1994 had me running for cover once it got to 3-2 when Clough scored.

Most people will go for draw game because that means both teams were evenly matched. Does not mean its the best game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

5starpool wrote: »
    Man U 1 Liverpool 4

Same year we beat Liverpool to the league :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Mark Hughes technique for his first reminds me of RVP's volley this season, don't remember who against

• Advertisement

TBH I am trying to think of a game in last 15 years which both teams played really well.

None coming to me.

2-2 draw in May 99 is about as good as I come up with and even that was no classic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

I enjoyed this one quite a bit, found it pretty exciting -

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

There was a cracking Semi final in '79 - finished 2 - 2 and United won the replay. The first game between the 2 I remember was the cup final 2 years earlier. Decent game as well.

Cant believe that going give in to one here::p

The 1-0 Danny Murphy game from January 2002 was actually decent game.

Both sides played well and game was on knife edge till last 10 minutes. It looked most likely that United would win it, but up stepped Danny Murphy(not for last time). Put paid to decent run by United at the time and we never recovered.

As a game it was very good even though we lost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

I enjoyed this one quite a bit, found it pretty exciting -

That's the winner. United really do have the one over on last minute winners. Ferdinand, Solskjaer, Cantona, John o' freaking Shea!!!

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    John o' freaking Shea!!!

We were beat(stronger word could be used) from all angles that day. Was with 2 Liverpool mates in Ryans pub in Parkgate Street and I have never went as crazy for Goal. Not big pub. I say I could been heard across the Quays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

We were beat(stronger word could be used) from all angles that day. Was with 2 Liverpool mates in Ryans pub in Parkgate Street and I have never went as crazy for Goal. Not big pub. I say I could been heard across the Quays.

It was so massive, that was the year we were breaking Chelsea's dominance when they seemed invincible. The league was won that day. I remember screaming the pub down also

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    That's the winner. United really do have the one over on last minute winners. Ferdinand, Solskjaer, Cantona, John o' freaking Shea!!!

Forget Turin, that was Roy Keanes greatest game for United, absolutely magnificent, that day he was..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,331 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

TBH I am trying to think of a game in last 15 years which both teams played really well.

None coming to me.

2-2 draw in May 99 is about as good as I come up with and even that was no classic

True ,any of the matches in the last ten years have been fairly dour affairs especially when Benitez was around.
    I cant remember the last decent match between the sides ,they are usually negative affairs.

It doesnt help that most of the matches are played early in the day ,it would be nice to play the matches at night for a change ,get some atmosphere back .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

darced wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

I had the radio on too, plus the old cablelink multibox channel, remember it vividly. :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

The game towards the end of the 03-04 season won by Danny Murphy's penalty at Old Trafford was notable. But moreso that it took place unimaginably at 3pm :eek: on a Saturday :eek:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/eng_prem/3628565.stm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Check out the game on Easter Monday 1988, a 3-3 at Anfield, absolute animal of a game, it's on you tube

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,707 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

FA Cup Semi Final 1985 - Liverpool scored late on in the first match after United had dominated to take it to a replay at Maine Road. I walked away from Goodison feeling we'd blown it.

I was stood on the Kippax the following Wednesday eveening to witness a brilliant game and one of the best goals I'd ever seen from Sparky to take it 2-1 for United. From what I recall Robbo's first goal wasn't too bad either.

Beasty wrote: »
    FA Cup Semi Final 1985 - Liverpool scored late on in the first match after United had dominated to take it to a replay at Maine Road. I walked away from Goodison feeling we'd blown it.

I was stood on the Kippax the following Wednesday eveening to witness a brilliant game and one of the best goals I'd ever seen from Sparky to take it 2-1 for United. From what I recall Robbo's first goal wasn't too bad either.

Good Ronnie Whelan goal in the first game btw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Just An Opinion

What about September 2010 when Berbatov bagged the hatrick and the amazing over head goal in off the bar? Gerrard pegged back 2-0 to 2-2 only for Berba to snatch it late on. I loved that one particularly because it was my Birthday!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

What about September 2010 when Berbatov bagged the hatrick and the amazing over head goal in off the bar? Gerrard pegged back 2-0 to 2-2 only for Berba to snatch it late on. I loved that one particularly because it was my Birthday!

I watched it at a friends house who was a United supporter and he went nuts for the 1st two, I went nuts for our two and my heart was broke for the last:(

My favourite though is the 4-1 win at OT for obvious reasons.

dd972 wrote: »
    Check out the game on Easter Monday 1988, a 3-3 at Anfield, absolute animal of a game, it's on you tube

Is that the Strachan 'cigar celebration'? Think Steve McMahon hit a screamer in that game too

kfallon wrote: »
    Is that the Strachan 'cigar celebration'? Think Steve McMahon hit a screamer in that game too

That's the one, think it went, 0-1 Robson , 1-1, Beardsley, 2-1 Gillespie , 3-1 Mc Mahon, 3-2 Robson, 3-3 Strachan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

The one Cantona scored and david james was in goal, think it was 99 and 2-1 united. Probably the last good pool-united game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Most games would have been blood and thunder, the 3-3 Homerjay mentioned would be one I really remember as a good match. The 4-1 win for Liverpool at Old Trafford I would consider the best Liverpool have played there in a long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Jan 13 2013....

Utd win 3-0 with a H/Trick from RVP.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Oranage2 wrote: »
    The one Cantona scored and david james was in goal, think it was 99 and 2-1 united. Probably the last good pool-united game

Oh yea. Same year that Cantona scored the winner against Bayern in the Champions League final. Great match alright.

Oh yea. Same year that Cantona scored the winner against Bayern in the Champions League final. Great match alright.

Ha very good, it was 1996 FA cup final, thats the one, 1-0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

thought that was a very poor final myself

I also echo the poster that mentioned early kick offs. In my opinion they have ruined a huge amount of games. I can't remember the last time Liverpool played United late kick off? 5.30 or midweek i mean.

Occasionally they can be good but 12.45 on a Saturday is the worst, I always avoid these games in accumulators (Spurs yesterday would have been backed if it was a 3pm for instance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

1-4 at OT.

For me as a Liverpool fan it was brill, had everything and gave hope that they might finally win the league, of course there was no stopping United.... unfortunately.

That was one of the worst games of football ever!

kfallon wrote: »
    That was one of the worst games of football ever!

I was 9 and I loved it!

Even went to burger king before it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

8-10 wrote: »

I also echo the poster that mentioned early kick offs. In my opinion they have ruined a huge amount of games. I can't remember the last time Liverpool played United late kick off? 5.30 or midweek i mean.

Occasionally they can be good but 12.45 on a Saturday is the worst, I always avoid these games in accumulators (Spurs yesterday would have been backed if it was a 3pm for instance.

Police won't allow a late kick off- drunken fans

8-10 wrote: »

The second of Danny Murphy's OT Holy Trinity was a late Sky game, think it was on a Monday night. Can't recall a late kick off after that (tho I'm sure there prob was one)

• Advertisement

I was 9 and I loved it!

Even went to burger king before it.

Every Utd would have done but it was a terrible game overall, both teams seemed very nervous and were more interested in not losing than winning.

Advertisement