Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IBS Diagnosis.

Options
  • 13-01-2013 2:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭

There was a thread, since closed, about a person who had been diagnosed with IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome), apparently without any tests being performed.

Now, I'm not a doctor (I'm a pharmacist), but when I was in college, we were taught the following: IBS is the diagnosis that is made after each and every other possible alternative has been excluded by tests, and that, by definition, IBS cannot be diagnosed without tests. (ie. IBS cannot be diagnosed until tests have been performed that exclude bowel cancer, diverticulitis, Crohn's Disease etc etc etc.)

Would any of the doctors on here care to comment on this, and how this impacts upon the diagnosis that the other poster received?

Am I wrong, or is the other poster's doctor wrong?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭apache

What you have said is correct. A GP can't diagnose IBS. Tests have to be done to rule out other causes of discomfort.

I got all the tests done about 7 years ago. Nothing nasty showed up so they diagnosed IBS.

Edit - lol i just reread your post. I'm not a doctor but sure i'll leave this post anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

Would any of the doctors on here care to comment on this, and how this impacts upon the diagnosis that the other poster received?

Am I wrong, or is the other poster's doctor wrong?

not a thread/discussion for this forum, given the situation the op of the other thread is in- it will inevitable lead to speculation on her diagnosis etc.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement