Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching irish driving licence over in oz

Options
  • 13-01-2013 3:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Hey there,

Was wondering if I was to live in oz I would need to change my driving licence.. I've had it for about 6 months and ill be turning 19 in the near future, when I go over there would they give me an open licence considering that I have already done the driving and theory test here in Ireland and obtained a full driving licence which is recognised over there?

Any insight into what may happen is gratful, maybe they might just see full licence and give an open licence no questions asked :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Chances are you will be given a P licence by the state you apply in you will not have enough time on licence for a full Oz licence. Besides if you are on a WHV you dont need one.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 socster

Zambia wrote: »
    Chances are you will be given a P licence by the state you apply in you will not have enough time on licence for a full Oz licence. Besides if you are on a WHV you dont need one.

Any chance I can fight out of P licences? What's the recommended time before your exempt from them provisionals?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

As far as I can remember the Vic Roads criteria was having held a full licence for 3 years before you can get equivalent Aus licence, unsure what criteria is for other states.

jackbhoy wrote: »
    As far as I can remember the Vic Roads criteria was having held a full licence for 3 years before you can get equivalent Aus licence, unsure what criteria is for other states.

Hmm yeah I suppose, I'll pop them an email anyways as each state is individually lawed, could try and state that ill need an open licence lol ill be a citizen so will have to change within 3-6 months

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭d.pop

In WA, you need to have your full Irish licence for 2 years before they will give you full Aussie licence. You will be on P Plates.
    As per earlier reply, similar to Vic, you do not need a WA licence if you are not a permanent resident. A WHV is not permanent for driving purposes.
    You can drive on your Irish licence in your own car but if your employer needs you to drive a work vehicle you may come unstuck, hard to convince aussie companies that Irish licence is legit...!
    In mining for example you must have a WA licence to drive on site. They won't even accept licenses from other Aussie states!
    That said if employer asks, you say yes you have a full licence and produce Irish if asked. Up to them then, nothing illegal, will come down to company policy and immediate supervisor.
    G.luck.

Edit: just read you're going to be citizen, go onto P plates as soon as you can and it out if way.

• Advertisement

What. State are you going to?

• Registered Users Posts: 42 dabbido

In NSW you must have held your full Irish licence for over 3 years to be eligible for a full Aussie licence. If you have held the Irish licence for less than 1 year, they will give you a red P, more than a year but less than 3 means they will give you a green P.

I was stopped at a RBT a few weeks back and when I produced my Irish licence the cop got very dismissive and wanted to give me a ticket for not having an Aussie licence. I told him I didn't need one seeing as I'm not resident (sponsored, which would still be classed as temporary), he seemed to think you need one if you're here for over 6 months, but didn't give me a ticket in the end.

Thanks for replies, well thinkin of SA or NSW at the mo, the p plates don't seem bad it has all driving previliges bar the drinking tolerance ( who would drink drive anyways) thanks for replies :)

Be advised you can lose your P's very quickly. In Victoria you only have 6 Pionts to lose.

Not having your P plates up costs you 3 so they can rack up very easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Duck into the AA in Dublin and get your international driving license.
    You only need to change over when you have been resident in a state for 6 months. If you are moving around its probably not worth your while.

• Advertisement

Duck into the AA in Dublin and get your international driving license.
    You only need to change over when you have been resident in a state for 6 months. If you are moving around its probably not worth your while.
    No offence Hippie both the only good use of those licences is the engilsh translation.

You simply need your overseas one as far as Oz goes

Thanks for advice people's :) if I wait year and half couldn't I just skip p plates anyways?

I would not let that slow your trip, just drive like a saint till your off them. Millions of Aussies get through so you should be fine as soon as you get used to the far greater level of road rule enforcement in Australia.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Testament1

Be advised you can lose your P's very quickly. In Victoria you only have 6 Pionts to lose.

Not having your P plates up costs you 3 so they can rack up very easily.

Bit off topic here but how many points do you get for speeding in NSW and how many points does it take to lose your licence?? I got done for speeding coming down from Byron Bay on New Years Day. Was caught by a highway patrol car doing 81kmh in a 60 zone. Gave the cop my Irish licence (dont have a NSW licence) and he gave me a ticket but no mention of points. Since it was New Years Day it would have been double demerit points so I'm wondering how many points I've got since the cop never said anything about them. He also put me down as being only 10kmh over the limit which took about $170 off the fine so story could have been worse!!

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭d.pop

If he handed you the ticket it should have the demerit points as well on it?
    12 points and you lose driving privileges unless you go to court and ask for special concession.
    In WA between 9 and 19 over is 2 points so in holiday season you'd be down by 4 points. Presume NSW is same, check website?
    Think these points go onto your Irish licence if you don't have an Aussie one but not sure, part of the "advantage" of coming from a developed country!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

NSW unrestricted Licence Holders have to accumulate 13 points before suspension and Professional drivers 14.

Also if you are suspended you can elect to go on good behaviour for 12 months but if you accumulate 2 points in that 12 months the original suspension is doubled. You don't have to go to court just elect online before the suspension date.

d.pop wrote: »
    If he handed you the ticket it should have the demerit points as well on it?
    12 points and you lose driving privileges unless you go to court and ask for special concession.
    In WA between 9 and 19 over is 2 points so in holiday season you'd be down by 4 points. Presume NSW is same, check website?
    Think these points go onto your Irish licence if you don't have an Aussie one but not sure, part of the "advantage" of coming from a developed country!

No the ticket just has my details, the cost of the fine and payment options on it. Presume I still got the points though?

Look like you lose 6

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/usingroads/penalties/speeding.html

Lucky as it could have been 8

Look like you lose 6

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/usingroads/penalties/speeding.html

Lucky as it could have been 8

F*ck :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

A bit off topic, I lost my license last September for drinking and driving. I'll be back up and driving towards the end of April. I was caught in WA on my Irish license. Can I still apply for a WA license while Im disqualified? I have at least two years experience on my full license.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭c0rk3r

I'll ask here rather than start a new thread

I'm in Victoria at the moment and am doing my P test in a month or so. I'll be returning to Ireland for a month or so afterwards. Can i convert my Aussie P licence to a Full Irish licence ? Its pretty much the same thing, mostly...

Not getting my licence before coming out here is my biggest regret. So much hassle.Im moving to Queensland after wards so ill be able to transfer the licence to that state and have a full licence after 1 year. Ill also advance to the P2 plate since im over 25. Im just hoping theres a similar shortcut when i return to Ireland ;)

You won't have enough years on your Irish licence to get a full Australian licence.

Advertisement