Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with Summer Road Trip around Southern States

Options
  • 13-01-2013 3:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone, I'm just looking for some suggestions from people who might have travelled around the southern states before. I'm planning about a 3 week road trip in the summer and I've made a map of places I'm vaguely considering visiting. I realise I will have to take some of them out as they cover a huge area.

What I would like to know is, what places should I take out and where should I leave in? Also, any suggestions for places that I should go/things I should do along the way. A rough idea of what route you would take and why?

Would really appreciate the suggestions, thanks in advance!

Oh, and the map is here: http://goo.gl/maps/tgIha

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Any particular reason for wanting to go to Kansas City? It is a not terribly interesting city, that is out in the middle of no where. The Osarks and lakes of Missouri are gorgeous, but I don't see any reason to drive that far to get to KC itself.

I'd say the same about Albuquerque (and Dallas) to an extent too. If you want to experience the vibe of the desert south west, there are much, much nicer and better places to do it, than Albuquerque, Taos for one.

If you are spending any amount of time in South Carolina and/or Georgia, don't miss Savannah. Gorgeous, gorgeous old city that is great crack too. The likes of Amelia Island, St Augustine in northern Florida are not too far away from Savannah. It's a lovely part of the US, and a whole world away from the mega touristy theme parks and superficiality of Orlando and Miami.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭JoseJones

Cool thanks. I have no reason whatsoever to go to KC, but the same for pretty much everywhere else on that map except maybe New Orleans and San Antonio! Just looking for suggestions of things to see and do, off the beaten track is good too. I am trying to avoid the mass tourist traps for the most part. Thanks for the suggestions, will probably get rid of KC and Albuquerque.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

I live in Northwest Arkansas, and definitely recommend the Ozarks for hiking, kayaking, camping, hunting and such. You can rent tents/ cabins easily and comparatively cheaply. Bentonville also has a huge and spectacular art museum, Crystal Bridges: http://crystalbridges.org/

What sort of things do you like? I am sure you want to experience the culture in general, but what is important to you? Ie nature, or food (find a good BBQ competition), quirky little museums and roadside attractions (Precious Moments Chapel: http://www.preciousmomentschapel.org/), take in some sports games?

Also, when in summer are you planning your trip? It can get very hot and muggy....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Trippie

I live in Dallas and I love it here, have done the dallas nashville road trip a few times, nothing in jackson, played rugby in shreveport and apart from gambling there really isn´t anything interesting there at all. I would spend time in Austin over Houston, its hot and clammy and smells of gas

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

One word:

Air Conditioning

In other words dont skimp on the vehicle choice.

;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭JoseJones

I am planning on going in August and hadn't really thought about the heat, I guess 100 degrees plus is quite normal there at that time of year.

I am big into all kinds of music and I heard Austin has a great country music scene so probably there and New Orleans are a must. I'm not so much into museums but am definitely looking to do something different, BBQ competition sounds good!

How have you guys found the people there? Friendly? Welcoming?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

JoseJones wrote: »
    I am planning on going in August and hadn't really thought about the heat, I guess 100 degrees plus is quite normal there at that time of year.

I am big into all kinds of music and I heard Austin has a great country music scene so probably there and New Orleans are a must. I'm not so much into museums but am definitely looking to do something different, BBQ competition sounds good!

How have you guys found the people there? Friendly? Welcoming?

I've only been to Atlanta and New Orleans in the south and in both places I found people to be really open and friendly. A lot more so than in the north. Although of course I'm generalizing wildly. They really do seem to enjoy foreigners too(as long as you;re blending in!).

The music in New Orleans is worth the trip in itself. I love the place. I'm really not sure about August though, i was there in October and there was an "aroma" even then.

I was in Atlanta in August and I've been in Missouri in August and its pretty interesting. The south and midwest are famous for their summer heat, its not like the west at all, its a sultry humid tropical heat; Its like breathing cotton wool.

Advertisement