Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RGT exams, what's a good score?

Options
  • 13-01-2013 5:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I did my first RGT Exam before Christmas. Tried the Lead Playing at Grade 4. It was my first ever exam so was pretty nervous and not sure about what was going to happen. anyway, I felt the exam was a disaster. Felt my lead playing was a little bit experimental jazzy, notes were right but rubbish plink plonk tempo. Felt I messed up a lot in other bits as well so wasn't expecting a good score at all.

Just got my cert and I seemingly got a 77/100 giving me a Merit. I feel pretty chuffed to be honest as I felt that I definitely should have failed. But seen as though I've never done these I'm just wondering does anyone know do they mark these scores easily. Does anyone ever get below 60? I'm taking it that if I got a 77 in a non music exam it'd be a good thing but does 77% in these exams say that a lot of improvement is required for the next grade?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Thomas from Presence

You've a clean slate every time dude. They never give 100% for anything so that's a good mark but I'd treat the grade 5 as something unique in itself rather than a steady progression. Obviously all your previous knowledge will hold in good stead but the standard of performance needs to be much closer to impecable than what you may get away with on grade 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭actuallylike

You've a clean slate every time dude. They never give 100% for anything so that's a good mark but I'd treat the grade 5 as something unique in itself rather than a steady progression. Obviously all your previous knowledge will hold in good stead but the standard of performance needs to be much closer to impecable than what you may get away with on grade 4.

Cheers, if anything it's given me the confidence to proceed so that's something. Onto Grade 5 it is so.

Advertisement