Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Found a stray

• 13-01-2013 11:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭

Morning all!

So long story but last night I ended up with a stray dog. Am currently putting her picture up on fb etc and will bring her to the vets Tuesday to check for a chip, but in the meantime I'm trying to look after her.

My problem at the moment is my current dog, he is not impressed with this situation at all. Lots of growling and snarling, and the poor stray is so meek she just ran away. So at the moment I have the stray in our shed with some food and water and my dog in the house with me. My dog is like a lunatic and the stray is whining nonstop and pawing at the door. What can I do to make this easier?

Also, the stray is rail thin. Should I be introducing food slowly or what?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,254 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Have you considered it knows it way home and you've actually kidnapped it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭pampootie

Have you considered it knows it way home and you've actually kidnapped it.

I had thought that maybe she was just loose but she's so thin I'm fairly sure she's strayed. I am looking to find her owners but didn't want to leave her in the meantime

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Midnight Sundance

Maybe contact lasthope or a similar pet rescue in your area. Exact same thing happened me, I wanted to keep the stray until its owner was found but my own dogs weren't happy. Lasthope took it and rehomed it.
    Oh- speaking from regrettable experience... Feed the dog small amounts at a time. I stupidly felt sorry for the dog because it looked so thin and gave it a mountain of food, poor dogs little tummy couldn't handle all the rich food in huge quantities and I think you can guess the rest ... ;)

Best of luck with finding its owner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

Could you and a friend walk the stray and your dog together then maybe they'll settle down a liitle bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

Would she be in heat?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

If you can rub the stray with a towel or blanket with your own dog's scent on it it will help. At the moment the stray smells 'wrong' and your dog perceives it as 'not pack' and a trespasser in the pack's territory so is acting aggressively.

Rubygirl I don't think so... What signs should I be looking for? That's another reason I'm afraid of my dog around her, he's not neutered!

Bannasidhe i'll try that, thanks

pampootie wrote: »
    Rubygirl I don't think so... What signs should I be looking for? That's another reason I'm afraid of my dog around her, he's not neutered!

Bannasidhe i'll try that, thanks

She will most likely have her 'period' and her vulva will be swollen.
    http://dogs.lovetoknow.com/wiki/Dog_Heat_Symptoms

When we got a rescue dog we washed all the dogs (separably!) in the same shampoo (tea tree) to lessen the 'foreign' smell. But the towel/blanket thing is great - using it I have even got Jack Russells to accept cats.

Don't think she's in heat, only "symptom" she has is her tail tucked right up between her legs but that can be fear/nerves can't it?

Ha, my current dog is a jack russell! I'll try the blanket thing later, at the moment am going back and forth between the dogs to try to get them used to each others smells that way first

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

OP, would you be able to get your mitts on a crate to put the new little lady into? They are invaluable when it comes to integrating dogs, especially if on of them is kinda peed off!
    Well done for taking her in and helping her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

If you're around East Galway I can lend you a crate

Thanks guys. I'm in cork. Will ask around and see if anyone can lend me a crate

For the record, I've just seen the pic you posted of her in the lost and found thread. She is very impoverished and weak looking looking alright, I hope she's a stray, as this should be the only reason for why a dog should get into this state.
    She looks like a sweet dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭carav10

Thanks guys. I'm in cork. Will ask around and see if anyone can lend me a crate

Pming you. I have a crate, use it for the car but could manage without for a few days I'm sure. Am nearby too

Thanks so much to everyone for the help and especially for the offer of a crate. A friend of mine is taking her for a couple of days and I'm going to try and get a place in a rescue organised.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭time lord

Don't forget to notify your nearest pound. Many owners of lost dogs leave their details there any many more leave in a description of a type they are looking for? Owners could of logged it missing weeks ago. Longshot but can happen.:)

time lord wrote: »
    Don't forget to notify your nearest pound. Many owners of lost dogs leave their details there any many more leave in a description of a type they are looking for? Owners could of logged it missing weeks ago. Longshot but can happen.:)

Judging by the amount of photo shares from various rescues based in Cork I am getting on FB pampootie is going a great job getting the word out.

I know it's not many but in the last 3 months one vets and one rescue near me have rehomed 3 dogs without without telling the pound. In the three cases we have confirmed the real owners of the re-homed dogs after they were with new homes. These are confirmed cases. The rescue owner just shrugged her shoulders when what happened came to light. The vets panicked a bit but one of the practices owners rang to slag off the original owner, implying its better off where it is now. Ouite untrue btw. I know the family and the kids adored the dog.
    Open to correction on this but I think you are obliged to tell the pound by law. Plus I think it's only proper. The pound I frequent has many many callers who can barely use a mobile phone never mind the Internet. Most of these are invariable elderly people. Just my tuppence worth.:)

time lord wrote: »
    I know it's not many but in the last 3 months one vets and one rescue near me have rehomed 3 dogs without without telling the pound. In the three cases we have confirmed the real owners of the re-homed dogs after they were with new homes. These are confirmed cases. The rescue owner just shrugged her shoulders when what happened came to light. The vets panicked a bit but one of the practices owners rang to slag off the original owner, implying its better off where it is now. Ouite untrue btw. I know the family and the kids adored the dog.
    Open to correction on this but I think you are obliged to tell the pound by law. Plus I think it's only proper. The pound I frequent has many many callers who can barely use a mobile phone never mind the Internet. Most of these are invariable elderly people. Just my tuppence worth.:)

Sorry - I didn't word my post very well. Was really just saying the OP seems to be doing a great job of getting the word out, not that she shouldn't ring the pound. :o

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Sorry - I didn't word my post very well. Was really just saying the OP seems to be doing a great job of getting the word out, not that she shouldn't ring the pound. :o

No need for sorry :D. When I share info I try and leave room to be wrong as I am always learning. I'm only always right when I'm on the job though lol. Ps hope the dog gets homed soon.

• Advertisement

I'll ring the pound tomorrow! One of the rescues got back to me and reckoned she might have been lost during a Christmas hunt, so am emailing the hunt clubs now. She's such a lovely dog, i want a happy ending for her!

I'll ring the pound tomorrow! One of the rescues got back to me and reckoned she might have been lost during a Christmas hunt, so am emailing the hunt clubs now. She's such a lovely dog, i want a happy ending for her!

I think I saw something in the paper about a hunt on in Ballinadee recently. But the Carbery lot were out as well. I'll keep my ears posted.

In the meantime, encourage your dog that company could be fun! Introduce them on a walk or something ;-)

She's not a hunting breed though. A cross of one perhaps, but the hunts don't use xbreeds. She looks beagle x, not foxhound or harrier, various strains of which are used to hunt with horses.

DBB wrote: »
    She's not a hunting breed though. A cross of one perhaps, but the hunts don't use xbreeds. She looks beagle x, not foxhound or harrier, various strains of which are used to hunt with horses.

That's what I was thinking after. And she sounds too timid maybe to be with a hunt either horse or foot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

Any luck with chip today.

I can't get to a vet until at least tomorrow so no chance to check for a chip today unfortunately.

Just an update guys, no news yet re an owner but the lovely people at cork dog action welfare have found a space for her in one of their shelters, i'm so grateful to them. Hopefully she'll be back to full health and rehomed soon, she's a lovely little girl and will make a devoted pet for someone. Thanks again for all your advice!

Advertisement