Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is this for?

Options
  • 13-01-2013 12:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,364 ✭✭✭✭

Can someone please tell me what this thicker piece at the end of my laptop charger cable is for?
    Cheers.
    IMG_00000015_zps305bac74.png

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭JamBur

Its ferrite, often mistaken as a magnet. It cleans high frequency interference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Julius Seizure

Today I learned something new...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,364 ✭✭✭✭blade1

thanks JamBur.
    is it essential?

not essential, but if you are an audiophile (or in some signal quality critical business like printing), its removal could cause noise disruption

the cable needs to be soldered at the end but there not much to play with so was thinking of cutting off this piece.
    i got a new charger off ebay but for some reason it's melting the laptop where it plugs in.
    i don't use the laptop for much, just browsing sometimes and a little downloading once in a blue moon.

• Advertisement

Did you check to see what current the new charger is outputting? Melting is NOT good. Be careful.

No, stopped using it.
    Best to forget about it, I think.

Advertisement