Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tablet stopped working within 2 days question.

Options
  • 13-01-2013 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭

Hello,
    Bought a €200 generic tablet from a hypermarket here in Belgium where I live. Within 2 days it died. Where do I legally stand EU wise?

Can I get refund?
    or
    Can I get a brand new one?
    or
    Do I have to get it repaired?

Even though its 2 days old.

Going back on monday so need to know my rights, a link would be nice.

Many thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Greenman wrote: »
    Where do I legally stand EU wise?

You need to find out where you stand in regard to Belgium law. I'm not sure an Irish forum is exactly the best place. Belgium would be a party to Directive 1999/44/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 25 May 1999 but how that is brought into Belgium law is not something with which I am familiar.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

Ok thanks for that.

Lets suppose I bought it in Ireland where would I stand?

Thanks JD.

You'd be entitled to a repair, replacement or refund at the discretion of the retailer. The only requirement is that the remedy not cause you 'significant inconvenience'.

Depending on the customer service level with something that new you'd usually get a like for like swap on the spot, but that is by no means a legal requirement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

You'd be entitled to a repair, replacement or refund at the discretion of the retailer. The only requirement is that the remedy not cause you 'significant inconvenience'.

Depending on the customer service level with something that new you'd usually get a like for like swap on the spot, but that is by no means a legal requirement.
    The retailer is obliged to provide a remedy which must not inconvenience you beyond what is considered reasonable, this remedy can be a repair or replacement or a refund. you may reject any remedy offered but you may need to go to court to assert your statutory rights and a refusal of a repair/replacement may be deemed unreasonable.

foggy_lad wrote: »
    The retailer is obliged to provide a remedy which must not inconvenience you beyond what is considered reasonable, this remedy can be a repair or replacement or a refund. you may reject any remedy offered but you may need to go to court to assert your statutory rights and a refusal of a repair/replacement may be deemed unreasonable.

Significantly inconvienance you as per Section 7 S.I. No. 11/2003 — European Communities (Certain Aspects of the Sale of Consumer Goods and Associated Guarantees) Regulations 2003. As you can see the customer is not entitled to rescission in the first instance so I am partially correct in saying that the discretion is on behalf of the retailer.

• Advertisement

Before either of us (mainly me) get a slap round the head from dudara while Foggy and I discuss semantics in massive detail and refuse to reach a consensus may I point out the OP is in Belgium and seems to want to have an in-depth and probably ill-informed (on my part) discussion of the minutia :D

Thanks to all and any tips welcome.

I'm off to the shop tomorrow and will report back.

Beforehand I asked the helpful seller did any of those tabs come back, he said no, but I suppose they all say that.:p

30 hours of life and dead, I would hope for a swap but as said above its all down to decretion and this shop from I've read after the fact are a little Ryanairish sticking and not budging.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Hello,
    Bought a €200 generic tablet from a hypermarket here in Belgium where I live. Within 2 days it died. Where do I legally stand EU wise?

Can I get refund?
    or
    Can I get a brand new one?
    or
    Do I have to get it repaired?

Even though its 2 days old.

Going back on monday so need to know my rights, a link would be nice.

Many thanks.

Carrefour?

Bring it back to the shop, should be grand for a refund i'd say.

Carrefour?

Bring it back to the shop, should be grand for a refund i'd say.

How did you know?;)

Bought other stuff there but no dead stuff.

Did you ever bring something back there?

Thanks.

Just back from the shop.

We were directly offered a refund or swap.

We went for another make and added €1OO to it.

So all in all no hassle no discussion.:):):)

Thanks to all that read and replied.

Full marks to Carrefour Hypermarket Belgium.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Just back from the shop.

We were directly offered a refund or swap.

We went for another make and added €1OO to it.

So all in all no hassle no discussion.:):):)

Thanks to all that read and replied.

Full marks to Carrefour Hypermarket Belgium.:)

Was going to reply, yes Carrefour are generally pretty good with returns.
    I'm just over the border in the Netherlands, brought something back before and a refund was offered without much discussion.

Advertisement