Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

E3 USA Visa

Options
  • 13-01-2013 12:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Just wondering if anyone had heard any more about Ireland receiving 10k E3 Visa's?

I know there was lots a talk about it a few months ago but haven't heard anyone in a good while?
    There is new hope for the plight of the undocumented Irish in the US, a former US Congressman has said.

Bruce Morrison, a long time proponent of immigration reform met with Tanaiste and Minister for Foreign Affairs Eamon Gilmore in Dublin on Tuesday.

A Washington lobbyist and immigration attorney, he was the author of the Morrison green card program back in the 1990s that granted nearly 50,000 visas for Irish citizens

During his trip to Ireland, Morrison addressed members of the Oireachtas on the issue of immigration reform at a briefing organised by Seanad spokesperson for the Irish diaspora Senator Mark Daly.

The immigration attorney outlined the political atmosphere in the US following the recent reelection of President Obama with much focus now on the immigration Issue and the need for immigration reform.

Following his briefing, Senator Daly pledged to form an All Party Oireachtas Committee to work on the issue of the 50,000 undocumented Irish currently in the United States.

Read more news on Irish immigration here

Speaking to RTE Radio, Morrison said a deal for the Irish E3 visa was likely to pass.

Read More E3 related news stories here

Under the E3, 10,500 Irish citizens would be eligible to work in the US each year, as long as they secure employment before moving to the US.

“It’s up right now and it could be voted on by the end of the year- that’s only a 50-50 shot but we have an agreement in the senate to get it done and it will get done either ahead of comprehensive reform or part of comprehensive reform.”

“There’s no doubt that it will happen, but when.”

Commenting on Obama’s reelection victory, Morrison expressed confidence in the President’s commitment to immigration reform.

“I think the president, having been reelected, has redoubled his commitment to working on this problem.

“Exactly how it's going to go forward, the form of the legislation, who is going to be covered, how quickly they're going to be covered… these are all very much up in the air.”

Morrison pointed out the undocumented Irish will not get preferential treatment from Washington.

http://www.irishcentral.com/news/Former-congressman-Bruce-Morrison-says-E3-visa-will-pass-179648391.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭myironlung

I'm very interested in this too. US girlfriend recently moved back to DC...

I'm no expert on these things but I've been keeping my ear to the ground for any news relating to it. I think what has happened is the fiscal cliff stuff has put everything else on the back burner recently. Hopefully things will get moving again soon. I get the feeling though that the Republicans will fight any immigration reform from Obama because they stupidly seem to fight everything and anything they can lately. So it might be a while off yet, Obama does have a full term left in which he can do this, so he might not be in any rush. I might be totally wrong about that but that's the impression I get.

Can anyone more in the know give us some information or opinions please?

I'm keeping an eye on this too.
    I think its senator (or congressman?) Dick Durbin who initally pushed for this but i dont think he has followed up on it recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭jme2010

Advertisement