Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scotch egg recipe, please!

Options
  • 13-01-2013 1:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭

I have recently found a love for Scotch eggs. Any I have bought have been a bit dry, and I would prefer to use free range eggs.

Does anyone have any recipes/ perfected methods for them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Think_then_talk

ElleEm wrote: »
    I have recently found a love for Scotch eggs. Any I have bought have been a bit dry, and I would prefer to use free range eggs.

Does anyone have any recipes/ perfected methods for them?

http://tinyurl.com/cglh485

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

I do know how to use Google, thanks.
    I'm looking for RECOMMENDED recipes and personal tips from people, hence posting here.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Think_then_talk

I used his recipe with large free range eggs they turned out great, he gave a good tip with the potato as I can never get the oil right,.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

I used his recipe with large free range eggs they turned out great, he gave a good tip with the potato as I can never get the oil right,.:confused:

Sorry- the link you gave me was for Google, I thought you were being a smart ass!!!
    Can u copy and paste the recipe please?

EDIT: The link just took ages to come up on my phone. That recipe definitely looks yum. I'm starving at the thoughts!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Here you go...

From http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/eggs-recipes/wee-scotch-eggs

Ingredients:
    4 higher-welfare Cumberland sausages, roughly 300g
    ½ teaspoon sweet paprika
    1 sprig fresh rosemary, leaves picked and very finely chopped
    1 sprig fresh sage, leaves picked and very finely chopped
    1 whole nutmeg, for grating
    sea salt
    ground pepper
    3 handfuls plain flour
    2 free-range eggs, beaten
    125 g white breadcrumbs
    12 free-range quail's eggs
    vegetable oil, roughly 2 litres
    1 new potato, for testing

Method:
    Put the kettle on to boil. Meanwhile tear open the sausages and squeeze the meat on to a plate. Season with the paprika, the chopped herbs, a few gratings of nutmeg and a little salt and pepper, then use a fork to mash it all up. Put out your bowls of flour, beaten egg and breadcrumbs.

Carefully put the quail's eggs into a small pan. Once the kettle boils, pour in the boiling water straight away and cook for 2 minutes, no longer. Move the pan to the sink and run cold water over the eggs for 2 to 3 minutes. Tap, roll and – ever so gently – peel the shells off them. Do it under running water if it helps. You'll get quicker at peeling them as you go.

We've got a video up on www.jamieoliver.com/how-to with the whole assembling process, so check that out if you want to rattle through this bit really efficiently. Take a marble-sized piece of sausage meat and flatten it out in the palm of your clean hand until it's about 6cm in diameter. Pop an egg into the middle, then carefully shape and mould the sausage meat up around the egg with your floured hands. You need to get into the routine of pulling up the sides, gently squeezing, moulding, patting and very gently squashing the meat around the egg. Repeat with all 12 eggs, then coat them well with flour. Transfer them to the bowl of beaten egg and coat well, then roll them in the breadcrumbs. They'll be more robust to hold now, so pat and hug them into shape. When they're all done, put them into a container and pop them into the fridge until needed.

When you're ready to cook, put a deep casserole-type pan on a medium high heat and fill it about 8cm deep with vegetable oil. Make sure you never fill a pan more than halfway up. Add a piece of potato to help you gauge the temperature – it's ready once the potato turns golden and floats (or when the oil reaches 180°C on a thermometer). Carefully lower one wee Scotch egg into the pan. After about 4 minutes it should be golden and perfectly cooked through, so take it out of the pan and cut it in half to see if you should have cooked it for less or more time – once you know where you stand, you can cook the rest, in batches of 6 or less.

Transfer the cooked Scotch eggs to a plate lined with kitchen paper to drain, and serve scattered with a pinch of sea salt, alongside a pot of English mustard and a cold beer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭sdp

heres another one,
    4 hard boiled eggs
    knob of butter
    1 shallot finely chopped
    grated zest of one lemon
    good pinch of ground mace
    1 tbsp fresh sage chopped
    225g pork sausages of you choice
    2 eggs for coating
    100g plain flour for coating
    100g breadcrumbs for coating
    salt and peper to taste,
    oil for deep frying

peel eggs set aside
    melt butter in pan add shallot, cook till softened, remove from heat and cool
    once cool add lemon zest,maze, sage, salt and pepper,mix well with sausage meat
    divide into four
    I use cling film lightly dusted with flour, put sausage meat between cling film and roll out, remove top layer of cling film, sit egg on top of sausage mix, lift and wrap around egg and once covered remove film.
    with damp hands smooth egg,
    pass egg through flour, beaten eggs and breadcrumbs, repeat eggs and crumbs for that extra coating
    heat oil to 180c cook till crispy and golden

whisky eggs for grown ups :)
    as above, omitting the lemon and sage,
    when cooking shallot, and there softened add 1-2 measures of whisky,
    bring to boil and reduce until almost dry
    then as above
    good dipping sauce for the whisky eggs
    half tsp of demerara sugar and simmer with 50 ml of whisky,
    reduce by half and cool
    mix with 4-6 tbsp of mayonnaise and dot of english mustard,
    enjoy

Advertisement