Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pollution in Beijing

Options
  • 13-01-2013 3:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭

Saw this on the Irish Times website this evening. Scary stuff.
    Beijing pollution 'worst on record'

Air quality in Beijing was the "worst on record" this weekend, according to environmentalists.The city's pollution monitoring centre has warned residents to stay indoors with pollution 30-45 times above recommended safety levels.
    The Chinese capital, home to around 20 million people, has been wrapped in thick smog since Friday, reducing visibility and disrupting traffic. Such pollution has been identified as a major cause of asthma and respiratory diseases.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2013/0113/breaking5.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Jacksquat

I went to Beijing that Friday and was there for the weekend. I thought it was smoggy but didn't realise it was that bad.. Something like 500,000 breathing masks were sold online this week I read on one of the news sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

That's a lot of masks! 500,000 at 50 RMB a pop would be a tidy sum...

Exits to found breath mask factory

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Draper666

I was there 2 years ago for 2 days and will not go back !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,302 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Don't know how anybody can live there.
    Maybe short term but not long term if you value your health

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

Sounds like somewhere I would be in my element. I would like to have the feeling that everyone around me is slowly dying from just being outside, 28 Days Later kind of a buzz perhaps.

• Advertisement
Advertisement