Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marmalade

Options
  • 13-01-2013 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

How long should I boil the marmalade for after adding the sugar?
    If the marmalade gets too thick, how could I thin it out?

Thanks for any replies.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭sdp

Hi,there's no set time for boiling, what your looking for is it it to reach setting point.
    test using a sugar thermometer reaching 110c/225f, or the wrinkles test, put a little bit on cold plate and cool for a few minutes, push it with your finger, if it wrinkles its ready. what I found is by reducing the liquid by half before you add sugar, setting point is reached quicker, warming the sugar for 10 min in moderate oven helps.
    also make sure your peel in soft before you add the sugar, otherwise when sugar is added it will become very hard,and no amount of boiling will soften it, As I found out when first started making marmalade,:o,
    Sorry no idea if you can thin it out, but I guess it worth a try if it dose thicken to much,
    good luck with it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

SDP is dead on. Make sure the peel is soft before adding sugar, preheat sugar etc. With regard to temperature at which it is set I used to think 220F was needed but I made some last weekend which I felt was going to set when it was boiling @217F. Sure enough it set fine. Also if it only partially sets after potting it up I find that by leaving it for a couple of months it sets ( suppose its something to do with pectin continuing to migrate from the fruit )

BTW what recipe did you use ?

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭jimfinoc

Making Marmalade
    You need in total Seville Oranges plus a lemon weighing a total of 3 lbs.
    5 pints of water
    6lbs of granulated sugar
    This makes about 10 lbs of marmalade

Method
    Scrub the fruit and and cut in halves, Squeeze Juice. Keep the pips. Cut each piece in halves again and pull the pulp away from the peel.
    Put the pulp and pips in a scalded j cloth or a piece of muselin Gather the corners and tie with string.
    Shred the peel. This can be done in a food processor or you can do it by hand. I do it by hand as I like the peel chunky.
    Put the peel in the pot and pour in the water and the fruit juice. Put the pulp and pips that are in the j cloth in the pot as well and bring to the boil. Simmer for about an hour until the peel is soft and the liquid has reduced by half.
    Put in the sugar and let it disolve before you bring it to the boil again. boil for about 20 mins.
    To know if setting point is reached put a small piece on a saucer and when it is cool run your finger through it and it it wrinkles then setting point has been reached. If not boil for another few minutes. Sometime there is a scum and this can be got rid of with a know of butter.
    Allow to stand for 15 mins as this will prevent the shred from coming to the top.
    Put into clean warmed jars and cover with the wax paper and jam pot covers which you should have bought in the supermarket. (I remember being all set to go and had forgotten to buy the jampot covers).

• Registered Users Posts: 1 tumtum

Here is a challenge::

I am looking for a Orange Marmalade with
    - no added sugar
    - no added artificial sweetener

Closest I came to it is here (http://www.examiner.com/article/you-don-t-have-to-add-sugar-to-homemade-marmalade-jam-jelly-or-fruit-butter) but it is not a very clear recipe:

Any ideas???

Advertisement