Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

deactivating and removing a house alarm

Options
  • 13-01-2013 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

hi
    ive recently moved into a house and got some work done including a few new windows which has rendered the alarm useless. the alarm (a HKC) still works but not all the windows and doors are active if you know what i mean?
    ive ordered a new eircom phonewatch monitored alarm but they tell me i must take out the existing alarm before they install the new one.
    how do i do this? or do i need to call out an alarm guy? could do without the extra expense at this stage! :(
    thanks for the help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

worldbiker wrote: »
    hi
    ive recently moved into a house and got some work done including a few new windows which has rendered the alarm useless. the alarm (a HKC) still works but not all the windows and doors are active if you know what i mean?
    ive ordered a new eircom phonewatch monitored alarm but they tell me i must take out the existing alarm before they install the new one.
    how do i do this? or do i need to call out an alarm guy? could do without the extra expense at this stage! :(
    thanks for the help

If you have to get another company to do the work for you then get them to see what cables are reuseable and possibly upgrade the system to a hybrid system if there are any issues. This will work out cheaper than installing a whole wire free system. P.W. would be looking to install a wire free system. Any company will also be able to set you up with monitoring of the system if thats what you require, be that self monitoring or buy a monitoring station.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 worldbiker

thanks for your reply altor
    ive already ordered (deposit paid) for the phonewatch based on recommendations from the lads in the job.
    i naively assumed they would take the existing sensors away but was told i had to have everything cleared before they get here.
    ive searched a few threads here and it looks like i have to switch mains off and then disconnect a battery. the box is too high for me to do without getting a long ladder so cant do it today :(
    would engineers put in a code to disable the system?
    thanks

ive already ordered (deposit paid) for the phonewatch based on recommendations from the lads in the job.
    i naively assumed they would take the existing sensors away but was told i had to have everything cleared before they get here.
    ive searched a few threads here and it looks like i have to switch mains off and then disconnect a battery. the box is too high for me to do without getting a long ladder so cant do it today :(
    thanks

No, the engineer code is to allow setting in the panel to be changed. If the system is not in you should be able to get your deposit back. No harm in asking if thats the case. To disable the system mains and battery need to be removed. To be honest they should be able to take the box down for you. A hybrid system utilizing cables in place and if needed wire free sensors is what I would be recommending you have installed. What is P.W. recommending?

thanks again altor, will look into it :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

thanks

This really is the worst of PW . Any other company would take down whats not needed or being used. But Eircom PW are stubborn here to the extent of even putting their bell box's beside existing ones.
    I once came across an elderly lady who was sold an Eircom alarm even though she had a perfectly working wired system . She was left with 2 fully working systems . For a couple of years she was setting both every time thinking this was all part of the one system Eircom had upgraded for her.
    My advice here is cancel your order & shop around for a company who is willing to do the complete job, not just half of it.

• Advertisement

thanks again altor, will look into it :)

Your welcome worldbiker.
    I would look into it. You will save yourself alot of money using what you have. You may not even need to upgrade the system if the cables are working so I would be getting these checked first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Thunderbird2

Your HKC system is better then the one phone watch will install . Cancel and shop around . You'll be amazed at how much you will save . Some of the lads here on boards install alarms . If they take the time to help others in Their free time then you know they'll look after you ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

thanks

If you are disposing of sensors Worldbiker, I'll take them off your hands, I've been inhibiting a few rooms (bathroom and ensuite) as they aren't working properly.
    I was going to start looking for replacement sensors, do you know are they inertia? (bigish) or just contact (slimmer).
    My original plan was to install something newer and I've yet to read the stickies, but probably a Siemens. I wanted to do it myself, more out of fun/interest but Im not sure how much it will cost me for the parts. My alarm is an Aritech (CS350), I was thinking of putting a panel at the back door in the interim so I can go in and out that way with the dog instead of trapsing through the house. I saw the HKC panel looks very similar? anyone any ideas if that panel is compatible?

On a seperate note, do Eircom phonewatch replace the bellbox too? out of curiosity (not that I want it, unless you are giving it away :)) just assumed they would be able to use the existing one or give you a discount based on existing equipment??

Thanks again guys. One of the lads in work is sorting the alarm out although I wish I had checked with you guys before now :(
    I'm not going to dump all the gear yet until I'm happy with eircom, I'll let u know how it goes.
    Cheers

Advertisement