Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Equestrian meet up

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Ah_Yeah

I think it might be a good idea to meet up first without horses, or else even book in a rideout together somewhere? Something that doesn't require a huge level of commitment, e.g. bringing our own horses ?

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Heydeldel

Yeah an initial meet up without the nags would be better - what about at a horsey event? As spectators like. Is there anything interesting on around then? Not sure I'll still have my loan horse much longer but would like to meet up.

There's SJAI at Boswell for the next couple of months? Final is April 14th

http://www.boswellequestrian.ie/images/stories/pdf/sji_spring_horse_pony_league_2013.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭marley123

Tattersalls would be a good place to meet up if anything on?

Looks like there's nothing on until June :(

I'd end up coming home with about 5 horses :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 holly_24

hey all,

new to this Ah yeah told me about the forum, would look to come along to a meet up, as only getting back in the saddle and new to the Dublin ridding scene :),

i would love to go out over a xc course when the weather is a bit better, with a plan of entering a hunter trial. will be looking for a partner in crime for pairs if anyone was interested closer to the time. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Welcome to the madhouse, Holly! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭ilovemarmite

I have exams early May so meet up before mid April would be good as will be cramming last two weeks in April :)

We could do a ride out somewhere, would be good if people all different levels and not everyone has a horse, could then go for a pub lunch after to chat.

Will be cool to meet some new horsey people.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭silverfox88

Sounds like a good plan marmite, april would suit me as well as im just finished exams! anyone have any concrete idea where would suit as a meeting point? have we got an idea of where most people are coming from? if we could narrow down our location now that we have our timing we should be able to get planning!

Good idea silverfox! I think we should look to plan something soon so we can ensure we mark it in our diaries :)

I'm South Dublin, but am willing to travel (within reason!) - and have my own transport.

What about Bel Air?

http://www.belairhotelequestrian.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

Ah_Yeah wrote: »

Two hour xc jumping ride anyone? :D

Valentina wrote: »
    Two hour xc jumping ride anyone? :D

I am 125% down with that :D

I am 125% down with that :D

Bring. It. On. :cool: :D

Good idea silverfox! I think we should look to plan something soon so we can ensure we mark it in our diaries :)

I'm South Dublin, but am willing to travel (within reason!) - and have my own transport.

What about Bel Air?

http://www.belairhotelequestrian.com/

This looks great! Are we bringing our own or using theirs? Took the mare out showjumping on Sunday. Only one pole down - the second of a double. Was happy with how she went for our first time out! Dying to do some xcountry!

Heydeldel wrote: »
    This looks great! Are we bringing our own or using theirs? Took the mare out showjumping on Sunday. Only one pole down - the second of a double. Was happy with how she went for our first time out! Dying to do some xcountry!

I'll probably use one of theirs as I've no transport for my mare but I'll decide for definite closer to the time.

Congrats on your showjumping result :)

I suppose its up to each individual but I think it might be easier for the first meet up if we use their horses. Plus Ive no horse :p

Ok great! That's even better I think. Excited!

I'll give them a ring tomorrow and see what dates they have in April, and what the rates are. I'll post them here and we might set a new poll then (with the help of convert? :D) on what date everyone wants?

Bel Air sounds good to me, I'll use one of their horses (unless anyone wants to buy one for me before then :) )

What is their cross country course like? I haven't done any for ages so wouldn't be able for big difficult jumps :)

We can also retire to their hotel bar after :):)

• Advertisement

Bel Air sounds good to me, I'll use one of their horses (unless anyone wants to buy one for me before then :) )

What is their cross country course like? I haven't done any for ages so wouldn't be able for big difficult jumps :)

I haven't been on it, but what I'll do is enquire if the ride out caters for all levels.
    I know in my yard there was a range of jumps you could choose based on your level as you went through the course, and if you didn't feel like jumping and just wanted a hack, you could do that too :)

I'll see what packages they have !

Thanks Ah Yeah :)

I can jump but only doing about 50-60cm at the moment I think.

Fairly confident rider just a bit out of practice at some things still as only went back riding in August after several years not doing much :)

Will be a fun day I think :)

Thanks Ah Yeah :)

I can jump but only doing about 50-60cm at the moment I think.

Fairly confident rider just a bit out of practice at some things still as only went back riding in August after several years not doing much :)

Will be a fun day I think :)

I'm about the same as you, I've been focusing mainly on flatwork since I got back in the saddle :)

I'm about the same as you, I've been focusing mainly on flatwork since I got back in the saddle :)

Cool that's good, yeah I have been doing mostly flatwork in lessons recently, have a couple months though to improve my jumping between now and the meet up so I can make some little goals for myself. Our outdoor arena where I ride has been flooded recently but I think they are fixing it up and hopefully weather will improve as much easier to practice jumping in that than the small indoor.

I sort of know someone who rides in Bel Air and they love it, said all the horses are brilliant so that is good to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭marley123

Bel Air is geared towards experienced riders I think but as long as you are able to handle small fences you should be fine..
    Bel Air is €40 for 1 Hour & €70 for 2 hrs

Below is also meant to be fab for a good ride out

& is €35 for 1 hour & €50 for 2hours.

http://www.glendaloughhouse.ie/glendalough-house-equestrian/trekking

marley123 wrote: »
    Bel Air is geared towards experienced riders I think but as long as you are able to handle small fences you should be fine..
    Bel Air is €40 for 1 Hour & €70 for 2 hrs

Below is also meant to be fab for a good ride out

& is €35 for 1 hour & €50 for 2hours.

http://www.glendaloughhouse.ie/glendalough-house-equestrian/trekking

Thanks Marley - I'll give them a call to check their availability too.

Might be no harm to see if we can get a group discount if there's going to be at least 5 of us going (by the looks of it)

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭silverfox88

Ive done Bel Air before, went on one of the two hour ride outs - when they say experienced riders I think they really just mean able to canter and jump. The horses there are fab and they're so used to their job they literally just canter along one behind the other, no racing around the place. Jumps were small and no worries about the horses trying to refuse etc - they literally just do their job! I was unsure as Im so used to riding my own horses about going in such a large group, but it was really relaxing! Make sure you have a skull cap/hat suitable for xc though, i went in my champion and they made me wear the standard dodgy mushroom head skull cap - needless to say i was not impressed at regressing to riding school style :D
    The little huntsmans bar i think its called is ADORABLE - really cosy and lovely food!

Ive done Bel Air before, went on one of the two hour ride outs - when they say experienced riders I think they really just mean able to canter and jump. The horses there are fab and they're so used to their job they literally just canter along one behind the other, no racing around the place. Jumps were small and no worries about the horses trying to refuse etc - they literally just do their job! I was unsure as Im so used to riding my own horses about going in such a large group, but it was really relaxing! Make sure you have a skull cap/hat suitable for xc though, i went in my champion and they made me wear the standard dodgy mushroom head skull cap - needless to say i was not impressed at regressing to riding school style :D
    The little huntsmans bar i think its called is ADORABLE - really cosy and lovely food!

Sounds great, was just my birthday on Saturday so getting a vent air skull

I haven't done xc in years and have done very little jumping recently too but I'm willing to give anything a go and I'm sure the horses they provide will be more than suitable. We can egg each other on anyway! :P

Ahh this is getting so exciting, I can't wait! :D

• Advertisement

Valentina wrote: »
    I haven't done xc in years and have done very little jumping recently too but I'm willing to give anything a go and I'm sure the horses they provide will be more than suitable. We can egg each other on anyway! :P

Ahh this is getting so exciting, I can't wait! :D
    Same here can't wait!

Advertisement