Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyclone Voyager 7" WiFi 16Gb Tablet

• 13-01-2013 6:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭

Has anyone purchased one of these if so what is the build quality like and the user experience?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 575 ✭✭✭richardw001

bumping this as the thread came up when I was searching for reviews on this tablet - just to give people impressions on this tablet - in case someone is looking for a decent low cost tablet.
    I know I spent ages sorting through reviews of loads of different tablets before I got this for my son.

Anyway I think its an excellent little tablet for approx 100 euro (I got it from amazon.co.uk - however laptopsdirect and ebuyer have it as well) Went with amazon in case there were problems.

Good things (so far)
    Functionally and appearance wise - it's as good as a nexus in my opinion. We have both in the house and the speed is a good - running apps and games is as quick. So faster than most of the mini-tablets out there.
    (In fact the quad core GPU means its faster than a lot of the big name tablets)
    Google play support - it even comes up as identified on the store - and plays everything that the nexus does so far.
    With a lot of the cheaper ones - this can be problematic.

Plugin USB drive support

HDMI out support - so doubles up as a media player

SD card support

Bad (so far)
    No USB charging. Round plug connection.
    Screen quality is slightly less than nexus

Bad/Good (Not sure which this comes under)
    Battery life about 6 hours heavy use - better than most cheap tablets.

For a 100 euro though you can't really go wrong.

They have 8 inch and 10 inch versions as well btw.

Hope this helps someone looking at tablets - or looking for a cheap(ish) gadget that does lots of things well.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Umpalumpa

Cheers for that review.ive been looking out for a cheap tablet for surfing and messing about.
    Its been a couple of days since ur review,any problems?

Umpalumpa wrote: »
    Cheers for that review.ive been looking out for a cheap tablet for surfing and messing about.
    Its been a couple of days since ur review,any problems?

no real problems - only thing is I had to do a reset on it once - (you put a pin into the top) - basically Tablet resets then and comes up again.
    Problem happened after i plugged it out without unmounting the drive from a PC Other than that its working away fine - and this is with a 6 year who is constantly playing games etc. on it.
    I think theres a firmware update available as well however I haven't even looked at that yet as there haven't been problems

Wifi signal is this is very good btw as well - when I have used it for a quick browse or for the play store.
    And its identified on the play store - which gives me a warm fuzzy feeling :-) (when I see device listed as cyclone voyager)
    A lot of the cheaper tablets aren't identified straight off.

I debated getting something cheaper at the time however I think this tablet is worth the extra 50 euro.
    If you compare it to something in a bricks and mortar store - its at least twice as good btw - unless your willing to spend over 200 euro.

In hindsight one of these would have been as good a buy as the nexus that I use myself in my opinion
    Only real pain I've found is the fact that it doesn't charge via USB - most devices do now - and having a special charger is a pain

what's the battery life for watching video files in hours on one of these?

not sure the total battery life as I haven't really being using it myself - I can offer you some general info/observations

I know its been used to watch 2 X one and a half hour movies back to back - without having to be recharged
    And it seems to last about a day and overnight on standby with the wifi on.

So I'd venture 24 hours standby and greater than 3 hours video/active use.
    not sure about the max active use - however the kids seem to be able to get 5-6 hours out of it - however that would only be a guess

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭gussieg

Hi I bought one of these in asda for 79 sterling, just on way back from somewhere, and although the screen isn't perfect, its good enough for watching movies games etc for me.
    I made stupid mistake of upgrading to jellybean 4.2 from the website, and unless you know more about computers than me which isn't much I would say leave it alone at 4.1
    The battery life now is really erratic , and I don't know how to set it back the way it was, which as said above, is very good out of the box. It is actually a rebadged Pipo s1, if that helps. Still going strong despite my fiddling , 3 months and counting...

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭FightingIrish

Just opened this to charge it for my niece for Xmas, where the hell do you plug in the charger? The only round pin port I can find is for earphones?????

Advertisement