Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playing a movie embedded in a PDF file

Options
  • 13-01-2013 6:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭

Can anyone please advise what issue is preventing me from playing a movie which is embedded in a PDF instruction manual. I downloaded the instruction manual etc. the movie also loads but am unable to play it - nothing happens when I click on the screen, as directed. I am running Windows XPpro and am accessing the files via Google Chrome. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If there is a more appropriate forum in which this should be posted, please let me know.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

You'll probably have to view it using Acrobat Reader. The PDF viewer in Chrome doesn't support all PDF features.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Maidhci

Thank you for response - I can view the document but it is the movie part, embedded in the PDF, that will not play. I had assumed it would play as a video or a YouTube video etc., but is not the case - baffled!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Maidhci wrote: »
    Thank you for response - I can view the document but it is the movie part, embedded in the PDF, that will not play. I had assumed it would play as a video or a YouTube video etc., but is not the case - baffled!

It could be a security feature built in to Adobe Reader. Any pdf files downloaded from the internet may have restrictions for embedded items as a security precaution. Same as Microsoft Office blocks Marco code on untrusted documents.
    I reckon you'd be better linking to the video and documentation separately. You could embed the pdf file in an iframe and then the youtube video on the same page for eg (make an alternative option for users without the pdf plugin installed, check out some javascript document readers that are free)

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Dude111

Im curious whats the link for this PDF??

I havent ever seen a movie in a PDF and i'd like to click it and see what happens!

Advertisement