Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What do Newcastle UTD supporters think this season

• 13-01-2013 6:56pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 769 ✭✭✭

After a quite amazing season last season, finishing 5th, what do you think of this abysmal season so far. You have probaly the scout in the country in graham Carr, the players he finds are a bargain and Quality. Cabaye £4.3m, tiote £3m
    Ben Arfa £7m Ba free. These are only a few of your great players. What is different to last season when teams wore afraid to play you.

This season you could possibly be relegated and have to build again. Last time wasnt so bad, as you got alot of dead wood high wages players off the team. Duff,Owen,Martins ect and you could rebuild if it happens again you might not be as lucky.

Also could it be the 8 year contracts give to pardew and carr.
    Carr is still finding great players so wouldnt fault him, but pardew might be over confident as he is almost untouchable, he has a secure job and it will cost a fortune to sack him. Probaly about 10 million.

What are newcastle fans opinions?:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

After a quite amazing season last season, finishing 5th, what do you think of this abysmal season so far. You have probaly the scout in the country in graham Carr, the players he finds are a bargain and Quality. Cabaye £4.3m, tiote £3m
    Ben Arfa £7m Ba free. These are only a few of your great players. What is different to last season when teams wore afraid to play you.

This season you could possibly be relegated and have to build again. Last time wasnt so bad, as you got alot of dead wood high wages players off the team. Duff,Owen,Martins ect and you could rebuild if it happens again you might not be as lucky.

Also could it be the 8 year contracts give to pardew and carr.
    Carr is still finding great players so wouldnt fault him, but pardew might be over confident as he is almost untouchable, he has a secure job and it will cost a fortune to sack him. Probaly about 10 million.

What are newcastle fans opinions?:)

Mike Ashley being the smart businessman that he is, inserted a clause into Pardew's contract meaning should he be sacked he'd only be entitled to one years pay.

The 8 year contract was only a statement of intent.

I think we'll stay up, this season being an interim season for us before we try to break the top half again.
    I for one did expect something like this to happen, but perhaps not to have so little points as we do at this moment in time.

Debuchy signed, and now Remy is on his way I think we'll be fine.

Reading & Villa next up has got to be at least 4 points for us.

All in all, no major freakout at NUFC at the minute, as we're getting our best players back from injury too.

Can only get better folks, and keep an eye our for the front three of:

Remy - Cissé - Ben Arfa.

Goals galore :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Twoandahalfmen

Doocey wrote: »
    Mike Ashley being the smart businessman that he is, inserted a clause into Pardew's contract meaning should he be sacked he'd only be entitled to one years pay.

The 8 year contract was only a statement of intent.

I think we'll stay up, this season being an interim season for us before we try to break the top half again.
    I for one did expect something like this to happen, but perhaps not to have so little points as we do at this moment in time.

Debuchy signed, and now Remy is on his way I think we'll be fine.

Reading & Villa next up has got to be at least 4 points for us.

All in all, no major freakout at NUFC at the minute, as we're getting our best players back from injury too.

Can only get better folks, and keep an eye our for the front three of:

Remy - Cissé - Ben Arfa.

Goals galore :)

Im a liverpool supporter,and am fasinated by newcastles recovery since there relegation.

Good clause in there by ashley in 1 years wages.

Hope they do better there a really good team.

Remy hasnt had the best season so far 2 goals in 12

They also need to strebghten the CB positon and left back and left wing IMO:)

I refuse to believe that Ashley would be stupid enough to give a contract like that with no out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

Didn't strengthen properly in the summer when they should have and it cost them so far.

Im a liverpool supporter,and am fasinated by newcastles recovery since there relegation.

Good clause in there by ashley in 1 years wages.

Hope they do better there a really good team.

Remy hasnt had the best season so far 2 goals in 12

They also need to strebghten the CB positon and left back and left wing IMO:)

Liverpool beginning to copy NUFC's blueprint alike a lot of clubs, and Rodgers the perfect manager to occupy that role.

As for Remy's record this season, he's not a starter for Marseille which would explain the lack of goals, but true enough, his manager said he hasn't been playing particularly well lately.

A young LB would be good indeed, hopefully we'll add a couple of new faces before the end of the window excluding Remy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭BetterCallSaul

Didn't strengthen properly in the summer when they should have and it cost them so far.

Spot on. Injuries have killed us. But inept long ball tactics with players who are not suited to that style of play and playing players out of position at the start of the season, when we had our best players fit, has us in the position we are in.

If we sign a CB I think we'll be fine. Thankfully there are some dreadful teams down the bottom this season, I doubt you will even need 40 to stay up.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Batigol309

I think part of the problem is that Pardew and the board seemed happy enough not to have sold anyone in the summer rather than strengthen the team. Last year we dramatically overachieved and had some surprise packages that other managers have figured out now.

We were very lucky last year as our top players stayed injury free and that has gone against us this year....now we are being forced to buy with Ba leaving and Coloccinis probable departure. I would have preferred to see us add to the squad in the summer when we were in a position of strength rather than being in the situation now that other clubs are aware of our situation and will charge over the odds.

The model that Ashley has chosen to go with will never win out in the long term over the other Top 6 clubs which have larger budgets...to be honest I think 7-10th position is where we should be aiming at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

We made a grave error not adding to the squad in the summer. There was a great chance to really cement ourselves in the top half of the table. We've paid for that mistake dearly.

There are some things(especially our formation, team selections and tactics in a lot of games) to be worried about, but i'm not panicking or calling for heads yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Very good season so far, Pardew deserves an extended contract.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

Presumably they think they're still god's gift and as soon as their injuries clear up they'll go on to win the Premiership. Like most Newcastle fans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,379 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

You have probaly the scout in the country in graham Carr,

Most overrated scout, definitely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

The Europa League has hurt them big time I think. Really needed to add more players to the squad. They've had to play a lot of the same players too often which has left them more susceptible to injury and has weakened the squad further. Last season I think they overachieved by a good margin so there was always going to be a comedown anyway, but involvement in Europe has further compounded that comedown.

Oatesy23 wrote: »

Shoot us his superiors in the Premier League, Oatesy..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Twoandahalfmen

Definitely not overrated. He's quality.
    He's found quality players for peanuts.
    Cabaye tiote etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭bazual

IMO there are 3 main reasons why this season has not been as good as last season for us.

1. Players are not playing as well.
    Jonas (my player of the year last season), Williamson, Tiote, Simpson, Cabaye, Cisse all have played poorly this season. Some of the above punched above their weight last season just didn't repeat it this season.

2. Pardew's Tactics
    Either Demba Ba insisted on playing up top on his own which shoved Cisse to the right wing or the bench or Pardew just got it wrong. We started playing a hell of alot more long balls due to not being able to hold it in midfield and can't really score goals from long balls. Pardew's tactics this year have been very questionable.

3. Injuries
    Some injuries at key times in the season so far have hurt us badly. I believe Cayabe and Tiote have only started 3 games together this season. Taylor was a big loss considering how bad Williamson has been.

This is a rebuilding year but somehow every year from now on might be a rebuilding year as Ashley only wants this club to be a self sustaining business and not a successful club competing for champions leagues. There will be minimum investment and tight wage structures kept so we will never be in for a top player. Our best players that want more money will be moved on like Ba and in Ashleys mind if we can consistently stay in the premier league then he is happy as his brand will be advertised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,583 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Definitely not overrated. He's quality.
    He's found quality players for peanuts.
    Cabaye tiote etc
    You don't 'find' players who've won major European leagues of late. It's just a case that Pardew has been willing to take risks on them adjusting.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=207

Ah come on now Oatesy, he found:

Bundesliga top scorer Pappiss Cisse
    French league and cup winner Yohan Cabaye
    Ivory Coast World Cup player and Dutch league and cup winner Cheick Tiote
    Champions League regular and French international Hatem Ben Arfa
    Italian international and Champions League winner Davide Santon

You're trying to tell me you had heard of these players before Carr found them? I'm not buying that for a second!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

Presumably they think they're still god's gift and as soon as their injuries clear up they'll go on to win the Premiership. Like most Newcastle fans.

definitely not true we had a good year last year didnt strengthen properly in the summer and with injuries we are struggling but with a few decent signings now and maybe another couple in the summer hopefully we will be top 6 again next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭bazual

That's just Ant and Dec and the cast of Geordie Shore :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

The injuries you've had have been both costly and unfortunate...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,379 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Doocey wrote: »
    Shoot us his superiors in the Premier League, Oatesy..

I don't follow the league enough to know the scouts (apart from the Man City ones who moved from Hamburg to there). I never said there was anyone superior to him, just that he was overrated.
    CSF wrote: »
    You don't 'find' players who've won major European leagues of late. It's just a case that Pardew has been willing to take risks on them adjusting.
    Paully D wrote: »
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=207

Ah come on now Oatesy, he found:

Bundesliga top scorer Pappiss Cisse
    French league and cup winner Yohan Cabaye
    Ivory Coast World Cup player and Dutch league and cup winner Cheick Tiote
    Champions League regular and French international Hatem Ben Arfa
    Italian international and Champions League winner Davide Santon

You're trying to tell me you had heard of these players before Carr found them? I'm not buying that for a second!

CSF hit the nail on the head: If the credit for those signings should go to anyone at Newcastle then it should go to whoever decides to sign them...Pardew, Ashley or whoever.

If anyone thinks no other scout in the PL (or even elsewhere) had filed reports on the players they have signed then you are very, very silly.

A proper scout is someone like the Werder scout who found Claudio Pizarro while gawking through a hole in the wall beside a football pitch in Lima back in the 90s. Recommending well known players from top European leagues doesn't make you a great scout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I think now is exactly the time to sign Remy. Whoever gets him will get him at a knockdown price, and I'm confident he'll quickly regain his form, especially after a move. This is a blip - he's shown what he can do over the past few years. I predict whatever he moves for now, he'll be worth double it this time next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

I think they overachieved last season and they're underachieving this term, their true level is between the two.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

Blatter wrote: »
    The Europa League has hurt them big time I think. Really needed to add more players to the squad. They've had to play a lot of the same players too often which has left them more susceptible to injury and has weakened the squad further. Last season I think they overachieved by a good margin so there was always going to be a comedown anyway, but involvement in Europe has further compounded that comedown.

In a league such as the EPL where so much money is thrown at these teams, not being able to handle a second rate European competition along with your domestic duties is the telltale sign of a smalltime club.

Blatter wrote: »

Pardew has played almost a completely different starting eleven in Europe to the one he uses in the Premier League. If he used a similar team then fair enough I'd say, but the fact that he hasn't means they can't use that as an excuse IMO.

A couple of Europa League starting elevens for example:

Harper; Tavernier, Williamson, Perch, Ferguson; Obertan, Bigirimana, Amalfitano, Vuckic, Marveaux; Ameobi.

Elliot,Tavernier, Williamson (Coloccini 74), Perch, Ferguson, Abeid, Bigirimana, Ranger, Marveaux, Sammy Ameobi (Anita 46),Shola Ameobi (Cisse 80).

Elliot; Simpson, Tavernier, Perch, Ferguson; Obertan, Cabaye, Anita, Bigirimana, Vuckic; Cisse.

Agree on the overachieving last year, this year they're underachieving. The answer does lie somewhere in the middle. They certainly won't go down IMO though, they'll finish mid-table and performances will improve once they get the likes of Ben Arfa and Cabaye fully fit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Paully D wrote: »
    Pardew has played almost a completely different starting eleven in Europe to the one he uses in the Premier League. If he used a similar team then fair enough I'd say, but the fact that he hasn't means they can't use that as an excuse IMO.

A couple of Europa League starting elevens for example:

Harper; Tavernier, Williamson, Perch, Ferguson; Obertan, Bigirimana, Amalfitano, Vuckic, Marveaux; Ameobi.

Elliot,Tavernier, Williamson (Coloccini 74), Perch, Ferguson, Abeid, Bigirimana, Ranger, Marveaux, Sammy Ameobi (Anita 46),Shola Ameobi (Cisse 80).

Elliot; Simpson, Tavernier, Perch, Ferguson; Obertan, Cabaye, Anita, Bigirimana, Vuckic; Cisse.

Agree on the overachieving last year, this year they're underachieving. The answer does lie somewhere in the middle. They certainly won't go down IMO though, they'll finish mid-table and performances will improve once they get the likes of Ben Arfa and Cabaye fully fit.

Didn't realise they changed their team so much for Europe. I would still say being in the competition has had a negative impact on them (not as much as I thought before) simply down to the management having to prepare for an extra match every week, playing on most Sundays and the disruption to training times it causes.

A wee club in the north east of England wouldn't be familiar with that schedule. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

No one can be excluded from blame in what has been a hugely disappointing season so far. The players, coaching staff, owner and management all have a part in this and the reasons have all been mentioned so far in this thread. Its been a collective failure.

Next two games will make or break this season for Newcastle. Win them and there is a bit of breathing room between them and the relegation zone. Draw or lose both and relegation will be a strong possibility.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

How would you lot feel if Santon left before the end of the window?

Talk in Italy of him going to Milan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

My thoughts.

1: Lack of investment in key areas in the summer: Ashley/Pardew got lucky last year when we had players injured. The likes of Perch, Guthrie and Williamson came in and did a job. This year not only are they being exposed but they are playing a far larger part. We have not had any real competition at for any defensive position since promotion.

2. Injuries, crippling! Simpson, Taylor, Colo, Taylor, Gosling, tiote, cabaye, Gutierrez, Cisse, Ben arfa. That was a list of injured players for our game with Everton. Don't need to elaborate more i assume

We have not played our first team in Europe so its not the extra game causing this.

3. Pardews tactics: Long ball: Top of the League since about game 5 for long ball. Seems bizarre considering the players we have/had available. Our players seem anxious on the ball and want to offload ASAP. It has been like this since pre season. Also barring long balls we rarely ever do anything but pass to feet which makes us very predictable and very easy to defend against.

4. Accommodation of Demba Ba above tactics/formation: We have played cisse on the wing to accommodate a clearly unhappy Demba Ba. Last year Demba Ba played on the wing and did really well. Cisse is not remotely capable of playing that position and destabilizes the team when he plays there.

5.Loss of form: Asisde from the fringe players mentioned earlier and Cisse, Cabaye, Jonas, Tiote and more recently Santon have inexplicably lost form. All have had absolute stinkers this year.

TBH it looks like everything is wrong. This could well point to dressing room issues? I'm hoping that Demba ba was the reason for it and we can move on. My fear is that Pardew is the reason and the players are sick of the mucker tactics

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

I think luck has a lot to do with it

Last year i remember them being under pressure in alot of games and other teams missing sitters, hitting the bar, doing stupid things (Carroll :rolleyes:) while Newcastle were very clinical. Ba, before and Cisse, post xmas.

This year teams are converting against them and Pardew seemingly doesnt have an answer, remember on a podcast someone saying that a similar trend happened at West Ham with Pardew

Also the loss of Cabaye, an immense player would hurt anyone

naughtb4 wrote: »
    I think luck has a lot to do with it

Last year i remember them being under pressure in alot of games and other teams missing sitters, hitting the bar, doing stupid things (Carroll :rolleyes:) while Newcastle were very clinical. Ba, before and Cisse, post xmas.

This year teams are converting against them and Pardew seemingly doesnt have an answer, remember on a podcast someone saying that a similar trend happened at West Ham with Pardew

Also the loss of Cabaye, an immense player would hurt anyone

TBH i think we are lucky to have the points we do this year. Fortunate last min winners against QPR and WBA along with the undeserved win against spurs have applied a "gloss" to our league position. We have been putrid from the get go

We had a few unfortunate results last season too. Robbed at city, WBA at home and Arsenal away were hard results to take

M5 wrote: »
    TBH i think we are lucky to have the points we do this year. Fortunate last min winners against QPR and WBA along with the undeserved win against spurs have applied a "gloss" to our league position. We have been putrid from the get go

I'd throw Reading and Everton away into that as well. Dodgy decisions in both! There were games we deserved more from as well though. Sunderland and Man United away.

I'd throw Reading and Everton away into that as well. Dodgy decisions in both! There were games we deserved more from as well though. Sunderland and Man United away.

tis convenient to believe we did well last year because we were injury free and lucky. Have seen that peddled more than once. Fact is most of our players played at or above potential

tis convenient to believe we did well last year because we were injury free and lucky. Have seen that peddled more than once. Fact is most of our players played at or above potential

True. But we did have one of those seasons where everything seemed to just go our way. Even down to the likes of Chelsea and Liverpool both progressing to the final of two cup competitions, whereas we were out of everything early on and only had to concentrate on the PL all season.

True. But we did have one of those seasons where everything seemed to just go our way. Even down to the likes of Chelsea and Liverpool both progressing to the final of two cup competitions, whereas we were out of everything early on and only had to concentrate on the PL all season.

We got good and bad luck....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

We got good and bad luck....

Lucky might be the wrong word, but small margins went your way more often than not last year, which arent this year, be it how clinical your strikers are, or how mistake ridden the defence is etc. This has been shown up with the lack of depth in your squad. Krul seemed to be standout last year and mentioned alot but seems to be less heralded this year.

Though i dont watch ye that often so happy to defer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

We're fairly bollocks. Injuries haven't helped but players just haven't been performing well and tactics are extremely bad. The game VS Norwich on Saturday was one of the most boring things I've witnessed.

Advertisement