Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waitrose taking over Dunnes?

• 13-01-2013 7:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,082 ✭✭✭

Wife just back from the shopping (her turn). Said there was loads of wait rose product being packed out.

She bought a couple of the items - pasta, biscuits, tinned tomatoes.

Have they been bought over on the quiet?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

Interesting. Any link or pics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Forest Demon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,054 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Have seen one or two Waitrose items in my local, but nothing to indicate anything like this.

Hasn't this been rumoured for a while though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

No, they did get a new boss in tho and he is making alot of changes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,082 ✭✭✭OU812

On phone right now so not sure how to upload pics. Will try to upload some later.

The packaging is quite minimalist (own brand I suppose). The pasta is in shades of blue. Biscuits are in bluey green

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭Max Power

Who gives a shit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Who gives a shit
    Cocaine dealers and hookers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Rascasse

Waitrose products are stocked by other retailers outside the UK and that's what Dunnes must be doing. Will be interesting what stuff they stock. Heston Blumenthal stuff perhaps?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

OU812 wrote: »
    The pasta is in shades of blue. Biscuits are in bluey green

Sounds appetizing :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Sounds to me like your wife is secretly having a ferry hopping affair in Anglesey, shopping in the Waitrose at Menai Bridge on the way home. I'd check receipts if I were you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Waitrose, a bit posh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,360 ✭✭✭Archeron

Rascasse wrote: »
    Waitrose products are stocked by other retailers outside the UK and that's what Dunnes must be doing. Will be interesting what stuff they stock. Heston Blumenthal stuff perhaps?

Finally we'll be able to enjoy the delights of snail porridge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I prefer the OP's earlier work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭123balltv

Wife just back from the shopping (her turn). Said there was loads of wait rose product being packed out.

Everything is top secret in dunnes I bought some waitrose deserts in dunnes Clondalkin gorgeous they were ..... it's a bit suspicious :eek: alright

Mags must of had enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

They have stocked Waitrose products for years..usually luxury stuff especially at Christmas- cake, pudding. They must be branching out a bit if they're stocking pasta and biscuits. Nothing to (worry) about- not that I would, having worked for them I'd be delighted if they were taken over- every single shred of the bad rep they have as employers is well deserved, and then some.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,118 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Be deadly if they did - Waitrose is owned by John lewis which is a worker owner coop

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

So all the crap they couldn't get rid of in the UK over Christmas, they ship it over here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Rather the ah hold on rose than waitrose myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

so much for 'the difference is, we're Irish'

maybe that should buy more from high end Irish suppliers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 754 ✭✭✭repsol

Doubt it. Waitrose is a nicer type of supermarket on par or above Superquinn here or Publix in the states. Dunnes is on par with Asda.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Dostoevsky

If somebody does take over Dunnes, could it be possible for them to treat their suppliers worse?

Leaving aside its ignominious history of supporting Apartheid in order to profit, for its truly abysmal record of walking roughshod over its suppliers, particularly the small Irish ones, Dunnes is worthy of being widely boycotted. They have appeared in court on numerous occasions now for the credit conditions which they impose on suppliers, and several high-profile companies have gone to the wall because Dunnes have abused their dominant position.

For these reasons, every time I see this "The difference is we're Irish" ráiméis, I become more determined never to darken the door of that company which is long overdue its comeuppance from the "free market".

/end rant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Dostoevsky wrote: »
    If somebody does take over Dunnes, could it be possible for them to treat their suppliers worse?

Leaving aside its ignominious history of supporting Apartheid in order to profit, for its truly abysmal record of walking roughshod over its suppliers, particularly the small Irish ones, Dunnes is worthy of being widely boycotted. They have appeared in court on numerous occasions now for the credit conditions which they impose on suppliers, and several high-profile companies have gone to the wall because Dunnes abuse their dominant position.

For these reasons, every time I see this "The difference is we're Irish" ráiméis, I become more determined never to darken the door of that company which is long overdue its comeuppance from the "free market".

/end rant.

Don't forget their 15,000 direct employees too! Heavily unionised, but you would be very hard pressed to find one that didn't hate their job, such is the treatment, attitide and demeanour of those higher up then floor staff.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

I'd be a bit miffed if I went into my old branch of Waitrose in London to buy some of their addictive Chocolaty bikkies, but ended being offered a pack of St Bernard Fig Rolls instead. :(

They have stocked Waitrose products for years..usually luxury stuff especially at Christmas- cake, pudding. They must be branching out a bit if they're stocking pasta and biscuits. Nothing to (worry) about- not that I would, having worked for them I'd be delighted if they were taken over- every single shred of the bad rep they have as employers is well deserved, and then some.

is it true what they say about maura heffernan - that she is a wicked old wench?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

Don't forget their 15,000 direct employees too! Heavily unionised, but you would be very hard pressed to find one that didn't hate their job, such is the treatment, attitide and demeanour of those higher up then floor staff.

they are the most miserable bunch of staff i have come across,
    im honestly starting to believe there is a special camp where they house and train their staff

never understood why they were SO grumpy - now i know
    thanks internet

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I live two minutes away from a Waitrose. It's amazing in there. Like Marks & Spencers, but arguably better.

Costs a fúcking fortune, but it's worth it!

Most people hate working in a supermarket.Its hardly the realization of a childhood dream is it? When I was in school the teacher used to warn us that we would "end up stacking shelves" if we didn't study harder.There are lots of jobs like that.Who wants to clean toilets or flip burgers or empty bed pans.Its honest work but is unpleasant, poorly paid and few will be happy doing it. Doesn't mean they have a bad employer though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Waitrose is high-end so I'm not sure where the hell they found the connection with Dunnes tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

From what I gather a ex top buyer from Asda now works for dunnes and you'll be seeing a lot of changes in the merchandise .but yes it's true they have a deal selling waitrose products .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

We can but dream....
    Waitrose is one of the three things I miss the most about England. Wish they had shops over here.

summerskin wrote: »
    We can but dream....
    Waitrose is one of the three things I miss the most about England. Wish they had shops over here.

What are the other 2 things?

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭TomoBhoy

dj jarvis wrote: »

they are the most miserable bunch of staff i have come across,
    im honestly starting to believe there is a special camp where they house and train their staff

never understood why they were SO grumpy - now i know
    thanks internet
    you should try SuperValu in wicklow
    Such customer service lacking

TomoBhoy wrote: »
    you should try SuperValu in wicklow
    Such customer service lacking

the staff in supervalu in arklow are very pleasant and i find as a customer in there that manners towards staff pay dividends

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

summerskin wrote: »
    We can but dream....
    Is Jordan the other two?

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭TomoBhoy

the staff in supervalu in arklow are very pleasant and i find as a customer in there that manners towards staff pay dividends
    I said wicklow not arklow
    Though the weekend girls are normally spot on

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

pushing the boat out...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Merkin wrote: »
    Waitrose is high-end so I'm not sure where the hell they found the connection with Dunnes tbh
    I wouldn't by far call Dunnes 'high end', but they're loosing their knickers to Aldi and Lidl and the likes while most of the country have their arses against the wall financially. They mightn't be high end, but they are still expensive comparatively.

I was in a nearby Dunnes about two weeks ago and the girl at the counter told be one of the Waitrose big wigs was in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭The Idyl Race

The John Lewis Partnership, a co-operative of its workers, owns Waitrose and the John Lewis stores. I would work for them in a heartbeat, and their well deserved rep as Middle England's favourite stores has a great deal to do with their well earned reputation as an ethical investor and employer.

Dunnes on the other hand..

Put it to you this way. I've brought Waitrose Essentials in a supermarket in Saint Lucia. It didn't mean that JLP had brought them out. I think Johnny Marr's twitter response to David Cameron liking the Smiths is somehow appropriate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

"Never knowingly undersold"

Advertisement