Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cheapest inkjet printer to refill

Options
  • 13-01-2013 7:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭

I have a lexmark x1250 all in one. The Lexmark refill is expensive. I was getting the cartridge refilled for 15 euro but now the cartridge is full but will not print. It has been refilled several times

I was looking at ink in Tesco. Has anyone used the injet refill kit at 9 euro approx?

Also what is the cheapest cartridge to buy. I was thinking of getting a new printer and intend to get one that is cheapest to refill. i only need black for letter/documents etc

Edit. If anyone knows of a good online ink store please post.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I get my Epson ink from here ... https://www.inkmaestro.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

Buy any printer that can be equipped with CISS. I have a HP 5180 with something like that

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭yes chance

Thanks guys. i wondered if anyone thought the places where you get cartridges refilled are a rip off. i was reading about how many pages i would get from a cartridge and i was not getting anything like that. and the last refill just dried up. would heat in room do that?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Refilling ink cartridges isn't a great idea, cartridges really don't work that well after being refilled, and definitely not after a couple of refills. I would recommend the CISS advice above or getting a cheap printer which you can buy cheap ink for online from the likes of inkjet.ie, justmedia.ie etc.

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

I highly recommend CISS. It has saved us a fortune ink costs. http://www.inksystem.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

yes chance wrote: »
    I was looking at ink in Tesco. Has anyone used the injet refill kit at 9 euro approx?

Yes. It cost me €400 to replace my office carpet when I dropped the black ink.

Not recommended. Even if I am an idiot.

Has anyone used Kodak printers like this for example . I saw some in Argos catalog with cartridges at 10 euro

Connectivity:
    • USB.
    • Wireless/WiFi enabled.
    • (Accessory required).
    what does acccessory required mean? Is it a USB cable?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 454 ✭✭Israel_Dagg

Has anyone used Kodak printers like this for example . I saw some in Argos catalog with cartridges at 10 euro

what does acccessory required mean? Is it a USB cable?

Yes a USB cable to set up the wifi.

You could also get this and then get very cheap ink for it online here. Parents have this exact model and use those inks, does the job fine

Nick

yoyo wrote: »
    You could also get this and then get very cheap ink for it online here. Parents have this exact model and use those inks, does the job fine

Nick
    thanks don't think would get ink below 10 euro.oops! had a look could be wrong

cartridge green site says any printer below 80 - 100 euro is going to be expensive on ink

• Advertisement

thanks don't think would get ink below 10 euro.oops! had a look could be wrong

cartridge green site says any printer below 80 - 100 euro is going to be expensive on ink

Epson remanufactured cartridges are cheap as chips, using them years now with my r360 and no issues whatsoever. From people I know who have Kodaks, they plough through ink like no tomorrow. So may not be that cheap overall. The Epson inks also don't last as long as others, but are much much cheaper remanufactured

Nick

Epson remanufactured cartridges are cheap as chips, using them years now with my r360 and no issues whatsoever. From people I know who have Kodaks, they plough through ink like no tomorrow. So may not be that cheap overall. The Epson inks also don't last as long as others, but are much much cheaper remanufactured

Nick
    Do you know if they will print if there is only in in the black one. i read some printers will not print if all cartridges are not full. i only want black as i only print docs/letters and not much of them

Do you know if they will print if there is only in in the black one. i read some printers will not print if all cartridges are not full. i only want black as i only print docs/letters and not much of them

No inkjet prints will. The reason is (the manufacturers excuse) that if you leave empty cartridges in to long it can cause the ink heads to dry up. I think it's also to do with the printers internal mechanism that if ink isn't flowing during periodic cleaning it can cause major issues. But yeah you'll always need all ink cartridges to have ink in them for the printer to print. Buying a printer pre-installed with a CISS is a great idea and will save you a fortune in the long run!

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Gormal

Stay clear of Kodak. They go through the ink like no tomorrow and will not print with an empty cartridge.
    also they appear to have a flawed printhead in certain models. The software you have to update online (huge update) for every machine you install it on.
    Anyway they are winding down the printer side of things now they been taken over and just concentrating on ink and papers. When I bought mine the ink was €7.99 black/€12.99 colour now it's €9.99 black/€18 colour. And that was in the space of 9 months.

No inkjet prints will. The reason is (the manufacturers excuse) that if you leave empty cartridges in to long it can cause the ink heads to dry up. I think it's also to do with the printers internal mechanism that if ink isn't flowing during periodic cleaning it can cause major issues. But yeah you'll always need all ink cartridges to have ink in them for the printer to print. Buying a printer pre-installed with a CISS is a great idea and will save you a fortune in the long run!

Nick
    my lexmark x1250 always worked when only the black was full. i never renewed the colour and black refills worked for a few years. But the ink s too expensive and i think the cartridge wears out as my last fill dried up and i never got to use it.

So do both the canon printers I have had. You get a warning message the ink is about to run out.... hint to get some new ones. Then it warns you it's empty and if you carry on they accept no liability etc. But you can continue with just black, or refill the cartridges youself. They just won't show as being full. BTW I had a cartridge for each colour... more economical for my needs.

Gormal wrote: »
    Stay clear of Kodak. They go through the ink like no tomorrow and will not print with an empty cartridge.
    also they appear to have a flawed printhead in certain models. The software you have to update online (huge update) for every machine you install it on.
    Anyway they are winding down the printer side of things now they been taken over and just concentrating on ink and papers. When I bought mine the ink was €7.99 black/€12.99 colour now it's €9.99 black/€18 colour. And that was in the space of 9 months.

You mean won't print with one empty cartridge? If it has a flawed print head it would have to be replaced

You mean won't print with one empty cartridge? If it has a flawed print head it would have to be replaced

Nope it won't. Yes they will replace it during the warranty after that it's 30 GBP.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭dango

Is there a reason it must be inkjet? If not consider a laser printer. It's always important to weigh the pros and cons but if you do decide to get one, I bought this one a while ago and it does the job well: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Brother-HL-2135W-Mono-Laser-Printer/dp/B0085FM7WG

Gormal wrote: »
    not according to most reviews on argos

• Advertisement

my lexmark x1250 always worked when only the black was full. i never renewed the colour and black refills worked for a few years. But the ink s too expensive and i think the cartridge wears out as my last fill dried up and i never got to use it.
    Not come across this before. It actually makes sense though as with Lexmark cartridges the print head is actually on the cartridge itself (the reason your refills are getting poorer over time due to this reason more than likely).
    not according to most reviews on argos

I know someone with a Kodak and it uses quite a bit of ink. They are printing a fair amount (due to an on going court case) but they certainly are not the longest lasting cartridges. I recommend getting a printer with cheap compatibles or a laser if colour printing is not necessary.

Nick

Not come across this before. It actually makes sense though as with Lexmark cartridges the print head is actually on the cartridge itself (the reason your refills are getting poorer over time due to this reason more than likely).
    probably but the guy refilling them did not say that

I know someone with a Kodak and it uses quite a bit of ink. They are printing a fair amount (due to an on going court case) but they certainly are not the longest lasting cartridges. I recommend getting a printer with cheap compatibles or a laser if colour printing is not necessary.

Nick
    appreciate your opinion but there are loads of people on argos reviews with positive experience of the ink lasting time

I recommend getting a printer with cheap compatibles or a laser if colour printing is not necessary.
    that is vertainly my aim and kodak seems the cheapest. i looked at the epson you linked earlier but it is quiet cheap. Cartridge green - under how much should spend-say under 80 euro is going to cost a lot for ink. i do not print a lot and would prefer to get a new cheap cartridge each time instead of having a cartridge in the printer for ages. kodak cartridges are in tesco for 10 euro fornthe printer i am looking at

dango wrote: »
    Is there a reason it must be inkjet? If not consider a laser printer. It's always important to weigh the pros and cons but if you do decide to get one, I bought this one a while ago and it does the job well: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Brother-HL-2135W-Mono-Laser-Printer/dp/B0085FM7WG
    I just though inkjet were cheaper unless doin a lot. That seems a good deal. is there import duty on that from amazon or did you buy it here? One review says toner very cheap and can print 1000 pages. How much is the toner

probably but the guy refilling them did not say that
    The bit of the cartridge where the ink comes out of on those older style cartridges is the print head. You can sometimes sort clogging/drying up issues by boiling a kettle, when it finishes boiling hold the bottom of the cartridge under steam, and dabble it with kitchen towel.
    appreciate your opinion but there are loads of people on argos reviews with positive experience of the ink lasting time
    Fair enough, although I wouldn't reccomend Argos reviews as they are usually written by people who wouldn't be that understanding of technology. Here is an amazon review list of people who confirm the inks waste quite quickly. There are plenty of positives, but also plenty of negatives in the 1-3 * bracket, many complaints are about cartridge yield.
    Btw Epson inks are probably the most expensive going, but the fact you can get 4xBlack and 2 of each of the colour (10 inks) for €25 is better value than the €40 odd it will probably cost to replace the Kodak inks once.
    that is vertainly my aim and kodak seems the cheapest. i looked at the epson you linked earlier but it is quiet cheap. Cartridge green - under how much should spend-say under 80 euro is going to cost a lot for ink. i do not print a lot and would prefer to get a new cheap cartridge each time instead of having a cartridge in the printer for ages. kodak cartridges are in tesco for 10 euro fornthe printer i am looking at

Cartridge green recommend you buy printers that they can refill the cartridges for. They cannot refill Epson cartridges. For Epsons you buy "remanufactured" cartridges, that are actually brand new inks that are made by other companies. Same goes for some Canons I think.
    I bet they recommended Brother machines as I think those inks traditionally were easy to re fill. Btw most of these 40 printers do have very expensive originals, hence I linked you to the compatibles.
    If you are set on the Kodak then go for it, not bad printers by any means, but don't be conned by their marketing. If you are buying genuine ink for any brand it will not be cheaper than generic re manufactured cartridges. Also it is not ideal leaving an inkjet printer unused for weeks at a time. If you will only be printing occasionally I would strongly encourage getting a laser. Or else try to print a document or two at least every week or two to avoid the ink heads drying up

Nick

The bit of the cartridge where the ink comes out of on those older style cartridges is the print head. You can sometimes sort clogging/drying up issues by boiling a kettle, when it finishes boiling hold the bottom of the cartridge under steam, and dabble it with kitchen towel.

Fair enough, although I wouldn't reccomend Argos reviews as they are usually written by people who wouldn't be that understanding of technology. Here is an amazon review list of people who confirm the inks waste quite quickly. There are plenty of positives, but also plenty of negatives in the 1-3 * bracket, many complaints are about cartridge yield.
    Btw Epson inks are probably the most expensive going, but the fact you can get 4xBlack and 2 of each of the colour (10 inks) for €25 is better value than the €40 odd it will probably cost to replace the Kodak inks once.

In relation to yur link for the cartridge It is easier for me to go to a shop than buy online where there is a shipping charge unless a certain amout is used. i do not need print often but the lexmark is a rip off

Cartridge green recommend you buy printers that they can refill the cartridges for. They cannot refill Epson cartridges. For Epsons you buy "remanufactured" cartridges, that are actually brand new inks that are made by other companies. Same goes for some Canons I think.
    I bet they recommended Brother machines as I think those inks traditionally were easy to re fill. Btw most of these 40 printers do have very expensive originals, hence I linked you to the compatibles.
    If you are set on the Kodak then go for it, not bad printers by any means, but don't be conned by their marketing. If you are buying genuine ink for any brand it will not be cheaper than generic re manufactured cartridges. Also it is not ideal leaving an inkjet printer unused for weeks at a time. If you will only be printing occasionally I would strongly encourage getting a laser. Or else try to print a document or two at least every week or two to avoid the ink heads drying up

Nick
    Thanks for the info. I do not under stand the highlighted part. I saw kodak for 9.99 in Tesco. is that not genune kodak cartridge?
    Also it is not ideal leaving an inkjet printer unused for weeks at a time. If you will only be printing occasionally I would strongly encourage getting a laser. Or else try to print a document or two at least every week or two to avoid the ink heads drying up
    good idea

Thanks for the info. I do not under stand the highlighted part. I saw kodak for 9.99 in Tesco. is that not genune kodak cartridge?
    What I mean is that "Compatible" or Refilled ink cartridges will mostly always be drastically cheaper than the genuine manufacturers version, otherwise there would be little point in making them. Also don't be conned by the re manufactured inks break the printer more easily line manufacturers say, ink is ink whatever the container. Poorly refilled cartridges can have air bubbles or other dirt that can cause issues with the printer, but re manufactured inks are made for the most part in a proper factory process. Anyways printers are so cheap nowadays even when using originals they probably won't last that long and its cheaper to just bin and replace (unfortunately!).

good idea
    Yes even just printing a test page should be sufficient, try to do both black and colour if you can.

Nick

What I mean is that "Compatible" or Refilled ink cartridges will mostly always be drastically cheaper than the genuine manufacturers version,
    Do you mean the Kodak cartridges in argos like this are not genuine

It seems ok for me for occasional use, and as you suggest a test page now and then to stop it drying out

here is an amazon review on it I think it is the same one anyway

Do you mean the Kodak cartridges in argos like this are not genuine

It seems ok for me for occasional use, and as you suggest a test page now and then to stop it drying out

No, the ones in argos are genuine. What I am saying is Epson original Black ink for that printer I linked above costs €10 (on reduction), it costs 35 for all 4 inks replacements that are genuine. The compatibles for this exact printer I linked to you above cost €25 for 4xBlack and 2 of each of the 3 colour inks, which is a massive difference in price.
    Also you need to remember that inkjet printers waste ink regularly "charging" the cartridges, which means the ink reservoirs are drained that are inside the printer and new ink is drawn inside so your colour cartridge will run out even if unused at some point. For that Kodak the colour replacement is €20 (on argos it is reduced to €15 from it's normal €19.49 price).
    It probably is ok for occasional use, but if it were me I would go the cheap Epson and cheap compatibles route. As I said the parents have one set up wirelessly and using those exact compatibles and it works fine.
    You've got plenty of advice now with what to do next. I wouldn't recommend a CISS for only light use as it would be a waste of money, but re manufactured inks may suit ideally if you want to go that route.

Nick

No, the ones in argos are genuine. What I am saying is Epson original Black ink for that printer I linked above costs €10 (on reduction), it costs 35 for all 4 inks replacements that are genuine. The compatibles for this exact printer I linked to you above cost €25 for 4xBlack and 2 of each of the 3 colour inks, which is a massive difference in price.
    Also you need to remember that inkjet printers waste ink regularly "charging" the cartridges, which means the ink reservoirs are drained that are inside the printer and new ink is drawn inside so your colour cartridge will run out even if unused at some point. For that Kodak the colour replacement is €20 (on argos it is reduced to €15 from it's normal €19.49 price).
    It probably is ok for occasional use, but if it were me I would go the cheap Epson and cheap compatibles route. As I said the parents have one set up wirelessly and using those exact compatibles and it works fine.
    You've got plenty of advice now with what to do next. I wouldn't recommend a CISS for only light use as it would be a waste of money, but re manufactured inks may suit ideally if you want to go that route.

Nick
    OK thanks for your input, much appreciated

• Advertisement

UPDATE

I saw this one in Tesco for 60 euro. It gets good reviews on Argos. but is 72 euro there. There is an ink cartridge in Argos that fits it for 13 euro and you need only replace the colour used. Anyone know if they come with ink and anyone any experience of this one

Advertisement