Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gamo air rifle

Options
  • 13-01-2013 7:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭

anyone know anything about Gamo Air Rifles .22 I think is ITG or something like that what range would it have and what would a second hand one cost

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭slug gun

It's Gamo's offering of a gas ram system instead of a spring power unit- they call theirs IGT or inert gas technology. I've not shot one but their claims of high velocity can only be achieved with really light platinum pellets. Seemingly, a regular lightweight lead pellet, say Hobbies, are only producing 15Ft/lbs at the muzzle..not much to write home about.

With that mid way energy level, i guess a range of about 35-45 meters could be had for hunting.

No idea re. 2nd hand value, but new in States about $260...

I plink, therefor I am.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

I know that the legal limit in Spain ( where Gamo is based ) is a very sensible 18 ft/lbs. I'd check the output on any air rifle before buying. Gas rams have become more widly available as the patent held by Theoben in the UK ran out.its all to do with the swept volume ( basiclly length ) of the gas ram - the Theoben Eliminator for instance will put out 30 ft/lbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭KE_MAN

Gamo (Spanish Manufacturer) is distributed by BSA Guns UK T: +44 121 772 8543

Gamo Shadow IGT Synthetic Stock (Gas Ram) is approx £230 (New)
    Gamo Hunter IGT Wood & Synthetic Stock (Gas Ram) is approx £260 (New)

These models are relatively new and would be difficult to find secondhand. Both are 12ft/lb power and break barrel

• Registered Users Posts: 45 amjc1974

I was quoated 450 euro for the gamo whisper x break barrel with standard scope supplied....does this seem a lot?

amjc1974 wrote: »
    I was quoated 450 euro for the gamo whisper x break barrel with standard scope supplied....does this seem a lot?

Gamo Whisper is £225 / €285 + Scope/Mounts (£60 / €80) + Delivery from UK to dealer in ROI €60. Total Approx: €425

What sort scope is dealer fitting to Whisper ? I am quoting a 3x9x50 Hawke or Nikko Stirling.

In my experience it varies greatly from dealer to dealer. I recently came across a dealer here in Kildare charging €300 more than a dealer in Meath just for the air rifle on its own (without scope, mounts, sling, pellets). There was a further difference of €40 with the scope and mounts. Not pellets were included with the gun either.

Buyer Beware (Caveat Emptor) - shop around and dont just buy from a local dealer. Some dealers here in the ROI are ripping people off while others are as competitive as their counterparts in the UK where most Air Guns/Rifles come from anyway.

Would recommend you use quality pellets with your gun. Not these pile driver pellets some dealers are selling. These pellets do not do Air Rifles justice as a credible firearm for small vermin hunting. Buy your pellets online if you cannot source locally.

If you need advise on pellets give me a shout. Your gun will only be as good as the pellets you use.

• Advertisement

I didnt get to see what the make of scope that was on it but i suppose the price seems ok. Would the rifle be 12ft/lb as in uk or would it be 18ft/lb as in spain? Would it be cheeky to ask the dealer to run it through a chronograph before buying it

I didnt get to see what the make of scope that was on it but i suppose the price seems ok. Would the rifle be 12ft/lb as in uk or would it be 18ft/lb as in spain? Would it be cheeky to ask the dealer to run it through a chronograph before buying it

I would be very surprised if a Irish dealer even heard of a chronograph let alone have one. I find it amazing here in Ireland, dealers that sell PCP air rifles yet they dont have the equipment to supply you with air to fill your divers bottle (after you have purchased the gun from them). A target shooting range might have a chronograph quicker than a dealer e.g. National Shooting Centre at Blueball.

I would recomend you purchase > 12lb/ft as either way you require a licence here in the ROI or NI. What the dealers dont generally tell you if you purchase a < 12lb/ft it will be only worth 20% of the original value in twelve months ! From experience most of the dealers up North will be up front and tell you this. Hence they will urge you towards < 12Lb/Ft (FAC Rated).

If you have purchased new, tell the dealer you want 18lb/ft (especially when you are purchasing new). It is no big deal for the dealer as they just need to specify when ordering. You would pick up a Chrono in the UK or possibly in the North pretty easy. Try Norman Harpur (Fermanagh) or Tannoky (Newry). Outside that Blackpool Air Rifles or City Air Weapons (Lincoln) Ltd in the UK.

Thanks to our draconian laws the airgun market is tiny here compared to what it could be.
    Gamo are marketing the whisper as being virtually silenced due to two baffles at the muzzle.Normally selling a gun with a scope is a selling tactic - you usually find the scope is a no name model. However its debatable whether you need a top end scope on a springer anyway. From what I read the whisper comes in at about 15 ft/lbs as standard outside the UK.If your dealer is any good he should be able to order an FAC model and chrono it.
    Incidentially, UK shops now want a licence to send scopes to the ROI and while it is a formality it apparently takes about 3 weeks.
    I ordered a Nikon ED scope from Pyramidair in the US and it came through no bother so I know where to shop in future. !

recipio wrote: »
    Thanks to our draconian laws the airgun market is tiny here compared to what it could be.
    Gamo are marketing the whisper as being virtually silenced due to two baffles at the muzzle.Normally selling a gun with a scope is a selling tactic - you usually find the scope is a no name model. However its debatable whether you need a top end scope on a springer anyway. From what I read the whisper comes in at about 15 ft/lbs as standard outside the UK.If your dealer is any good he should be able to order an FAC model and chrono it.
    Incidentially, UK shops now want a licence to send scopes to the ROI and while it is a formality it apparently takes about 3 weeks.
    I ordered a Nikon ED scope from Pyramidair in the US and it came through no bother so I know where to shop in future. !

Cheers - i must try Pyramid Air myself in the future

Thanks for the info lads, its unfortunate that our laws on air rifles are so strict because it could be a popular sport here like in the uk. Whats the story when ordering pellets from outside of ireland? Im aware you need a licence for an air rifle here but can you order pellets from outside of ireland if you have a licence?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 Audioslave82

Thanks for the info lads, its unfortunate that our laws on air rifles are so strict because it could be a popular sport here like in the uk. Whats the story when ordering pellets from outside of ireland? Im aware you need a licence for an air rifle here but can you order pellets from outside of ireland if you have a licence?

You can order pellets online from uk stores. They cant mail guns and silencers.
    I received a tin of 500 accupels yesterday and wrote on the envelope was hunting pellets. Never had a problem.
    You can buy tester packs from some store that the name escapes me at present, so you can find out which ones your rifle prefer.

You can buy tester packs from some store that the name escapes me at present, so you can find out which ones your rifle prefer.[/QUOTE]

That would be www.pellpax.co.uk

Advertisement