Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House in Irishtown

Options
  • 13-01-2013 8:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

hey,

I am considering buying a house. I have been looking in the Ringsend/Irishtown area. I saw this house but see that it has been for sale for a few years (on google maps & in a forum 4 years ago). Anyone know why/ any advice on the area?

http://www.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?id=374346

thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

might be because of the history of flooding in the area?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 evorg

Thanks Groutch. I looked into that & I don't think it would be effected by flooding. Flooding would mainly effect the houses on the liffey & Dodder (Stella Gardens etc). It shouldn't reach this far. The owner is looking for way too much for it, perhaps that is the reason, although you imagine after being for sale for a few years he would consider reasonable offers! There are a few other similar properties for sale in the area (commercial use below/ living above), maybe buyers don't like the fact it has a shop front. Personally I think it adds a bit of character but it might be hard to renovate because of this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

The property bee add-on says it was originally asking 610k in 2008, now 289k! Perhaps traffic is a problem? I think there's also a pub halfway up on that street.

610k! Crazy.

I spoke to the owner/seller - seems to be a problem with viewings due to renters plus he said that it has been for sale for so long as it is mostly people putting offers on it based on the fact they are looking for a residential property and that they are not taking into consideration the commercial opportunities.

There is no point in talking about the commercial opportunities if no one wants to open a business in that area now!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Seems abit overpriced,
    pub might be noisy at night,2008 was when the market crashed,
    look at what apartments are priced in the area.
    The commercial value is irrelevant if you are buying it as a house.
    Theres plenty of empty shops even on the southside ,for rent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

It's a fairly niche property. Would suit only a small number of people who want both residential and commercial mixed. Is it zoned commercial, would there be much hassle to get planning changed to wholly residential?

The pub seems very quiet, although it was Sunday when I was in there. I might pop back again at the wkd to see what it's like. @stillwaters - do you need to do something to change it to residential? I thought you could make a commercial property into a residential without changing anything - but the other way around you need to apply for permits/ H&S etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 molders

Hi, I live in Irishtown and that particular part of Irishtown does not have a history of flooding. In 2002 when the Dodder burst its banks Stella Gardens and parts of Irishtown Road were flooded but that area was ok. Next time your down there stand at the side of Doyle's Bar and look back towards Ringsend, you'll see how the land falls away towards Ringsend. In 2002 I took a lot of photos of the flooding, if I can dig them out (I think they are in the attic) I'll post some of them later. There is an interesting thread on that street here;
    http://archiseek.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=7031&sid=fd556b2fc7a99a80e6da4385d0e5e169
    and from it appears that the house your looking at was in the middle of the old village.
    That said would that particular house be for me? I'm not sure, it certainly appears to be a relatively large property for the area, but the street that its on does get a lot of traffic in the morning from traffic that comes into the city along the coast road. The nearby pub (Beach Tavern or "Gleesons" to locals) is quite enough these days but a few years ago it was a "lively" spot. Irishtown itself is a good place to live, its close to the city, the sea etc and I've lived there for over 20 years. Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

Hey Molders - thanks for the advice. Didn't realise there would be much traffic. I really need to check it out at other times apart from lunch time Sunday when there is no one around!

• Registered Users Posts: 44 molders

No problem, if you can get down there about 8am some morning you'll see that the traffic heading into two from Sandymount heads down that street and generally backs up at the lights outside the chipper. That said its not a race track and with insulation/double glazing etc you mightn't notice it. Outside of communting times (7.30am-10am) that street would be quite enough.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

evorg wrote: »
    The pub seems very quiet, although it was Sunday when I was in there. I might pop back again at the wkd to see what it's like. @stillwaters - do you need to do something to change it to residential? I thought you could make a commercial property into a residential without changing anything - but the other way around you need to apply for permits/ H&S etc.
    You need to apply for planning permission to change from commercial to residential use. Stamp duty is higher on commercial sales too.

Advertisement