Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BA in History and English

Options
  • 13-01-2013 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭

I've been looking at this course, distance learning, through Oscail. I'm wondering what are the realistic career options with such a degree. I've tried a couple of courses down the years which I chose based on obtaining a good career at the end but ended up giving up on them because I simply didn't enjoy the subjects. Now I want to study something I know I enjoy but would like to think there are some reasonable career prospects at the end of it. Appreciate any info or advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Nicole.

I can't give you any career prospects information really but one of the key things that gets you a job nowadays if the extra stuff on your CV as college degrees are increasingly common. By extra stuff I mean volunteering in organisations etc. If you're interested in the researching sector there is funding for such projects after you complete your BA and do a masters or PhD etc but it is very sparse.

I am currently doing a degree in arts and my subjects include English, History, Geography and Politics.

For English in first year I studied Old English, Middle English, contemporary fiction, Renaissance poetry, Modern Poetry, the structure and history of English literature. My point is English is not what many people expect it to be and it is much more challenging than you would expect but I find it mind blowing and interesting. The degree which you are talking about could be different in terms of course content but this might give you an idea.

For History I studied East and West civilisations, modern Ireland and US history since the late 1600s

Advertisement