Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barn Owl Charlesland

Options
  • 13-01-2013 9:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭

Saw one for the second time in a few years. Flew low over the car near JS Gym heading in Charlsland direction 7.30 tonight. Very rare these days, everywhere.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

Saw one for the second time in a few years. Flew low over the car near JS Gym heading in Charlsland direction 7.30 tonight. Very rare these days, everywhere.
    im so jealous..lucky you..six years or so since one flew past me (incredibly)close and silent i think it was a barn owl..very pale /creamy plumage..not greystones tho..south wicklow.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

Maudi wrote: »
    im so jealous..lucky you..six years or so since one flew past me (incredibly)close and silent i think it was a barn owl..very pale /creamy plumage..not greystones tho..south wicklow.
    Yep they're pretty distinctive. Very white underneath. Golden back with flecks of black. But really appear white in flight. The only other nocturnal owl in Ireland is the Long ear and it's very brown by comparison. And yes they are totally silent. One could fly behind you and you would miss it. last time I saw one was near the rugby club in the snow two years back. It's great that they're around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭bobwilliams

Yep they're pretty distinctive. Very white underneath. Golden back with flecks of black. But really appear white in flight. The only other nocturnal owl in Ireland is the Long ear and it's very brown by comparison. And yes they are totally silent. One could fly behind you and you would miss it. last time I saw one was near the rugby club in the snow two years back. It's great that they're around.

i say what i thought to be a long eared owl at the very top of the Farrankelly road a few months back,has anyone ever spotted it??

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

i say what i thought to be a long eared owl at the very top of the Farrankelly road a few months back,has anyone ever spotted it??
    They're fairly plentiful in Wicklow but pretty elusive so well spotted

Advertisement