Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sealing Tiles in Bathroom

• 13-01-2013 9:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭

Hi, have just purchased a property. The tiling over the bath is just fixed to a plain gypsum slab. There is a power shower and screen over the bath. I am concerned that over time the tile and grout will eventually allow water spray from the shower to penetrate through to the slab. Any ideas how to try and prevent this happening?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

The only way to waterproof this area is to remove all the tiles and tank the substructure. You could replace the plasterboard with proper waterproof board but that is a messy job unless the plasterboard is destroyed by the removal of the tiles.

This could be left until you have a problem with water damage anyway.

Personally I doubt any claims of a waterproofer working on ceramics or porcelain.

TT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭whizbang

Properly grouted ceramic tiles are as waterproof as anything else. Its the joints that make the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

whizbang wrote: »
    Properly grouted ceramic tiles are as waterproof as anything else. Its the joints that make the job.
    True, but its inevitable that vibration and moisture will make the bond between tile and grout break at some point, then moisture gets in and the whole lot bulges off the wall at the bottom.
    It sounds like a bad job OP and I would just use it until there is a problem and then redo the whole lot with proper cement board or waterproof slab.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

whizbang wrote: »

Bang on.

No sense taking them down till a problem arises.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭tommyh1977

Cheers guys, I'll just wait till the s**t hits the fan, then re do the slabbing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

tommyh1977 wrote: »
    Cheers guys, I'll just wait till the s**t hits the fan, then re do the slabbing.

Not much more you can do tbh - cross that bridge IF and when you come to it. :)

Advertisement