Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

business email help

Options
  • 13-01-2013 9:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭

Can anybody explain to me what i need to do to set up a business email e.g. info@businessname.ie ? Do i need to pay for a host, and domain seperately? How does it link up with windows mail etc.?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

You'd need to get domain registration and hosting

You can get both from the same company more often than not :)

(Disclosure - I've obviously got a vested interest)

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭BigGrayKettle

Once you've got your domain name, you could set yourself up with Google Mail for business (free for 1-5 users I think), or Microsoft Exchange/Office 365 (annual fee per mailbox).

The Microsoft option will integrate quite easily with MS Outlook, and I am sure you can integrate Gmail quite easily too.

By editing your MX records, you can point your domain to either of these services, thus giving you info@businessname.ie etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

If you only want to use the domain for email, and you use a free email service then you don't need to buy hosting, just the domain registration. Up until December you could use Google Apps (Free version) to host your email but then Google pulled the free product. We use ZohoMail which is free for up to 3 addresses.

In broad outline, the procedure to set up domain email on a 3rd party mail service is-
    - Register your domain
    - Register your domain with the email service (you'll need to complete a process to prove that you own/control the domain)
    - Configure your domain so that the mail (MX) record points to the servers of the email service (this information should be available from the website of the email service)
    - On the email service, setup the required mailboxes/passwords
    - Setup email clients (PCs/laptops/mobile devices etc) to collect from the mailboxes.

Advertisement