Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fake Micro SD Card?

Options
  • 13-01-2013 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭

Hi, I purchased a 32GB Micro SD card on Ebay and ran it through H2testw to check if it was fake. Results are below and don’t look too promising. I take it this is a 3.7GB card dickied up or am I reading it wrong? I am currently transferring files over to try and fill it and see what happens.

I have contacted the seller and am awaiting his response. He has good feedback and sold lots of them and received positive feedback on them all. Going by the results below is it a fake?

Warning: Only 30987 of 30988 MByte tested.
    The media is likely to be defective.
    3.7 GByte OK (7835136 sectors)
    26.5 GByte DATA LOST (55626240 sectors)
    Details:26.5 GByte overwritten (55626240 sectors)
    0 KByte slightly changed (< 8 bit/sector, 0 sectors)
    0 KByte corrupted (0 sectors)
    4.0 MByte aliased memory (8320 sectors)
    First error at offset: 0x00000000eb138000
    Expected: 0x00000000eb138000
    Found: 0x0000000790840000
    H2testw version 1.3
    Writing speed: 2.86 MByte/s
    Reading speed: 7.94 MByte/s
    H2testw v1.4

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Looks like a 4gb bit of memory faked in to being 32gb. I would return it most definitely

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

I'm not familiar with windows, but can you try to make a partition and check what size is that partition?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

PrzemoF wrote: »
    I'm not familiar with windows, but can you try to make a partition and check what size is that partition?

The memory controller is reporting to the OS that it is a 32GB card so it should be able to create a 32GB partition no problems However it is actually a 4GB one. H2testw is an excellent tool for unmasking this as it writes data to the disk completely and then reports on how much data it cannot write (I think is how it works anyways). Genuine memory will pass this test and fake memory like this will fail, if you tried to write anything over 4GB to this memory card you would get errors

Nick

Advertisement