Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Meath Breweries

Options
  • 13-01-2013 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭

looking for some help and advice. being told that there use to be breweries in Trim and Kells many years ago.

would anybody here know anything about them or point me in the right direction.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭INCONFIDENCE

The Brewery in Kells was the Regal Brewery which was Ireland's first Lager Brewery . It was on the site of Oliver Ushers Auction rooms behind the Headfort Arms Hotel. Oliver Usher and his wife Aideen are 2 of the most approachable people in Kells. He is very interested in history and no doubt will want to discuss the brewery with anyone who is interested. Be careful he is interesting so it will take up a bit of your time and if you see the chess board watch out he may want a game.As Oliver does not waste money parts of the room still look like they did 100 years ago. He will probably know about a brewery in Trim , which is a first for me although I did hear about a house of ill repute above a coffee shop in the 1950's .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

There's a brewery hill in navan, but I can not find info on wether there was a brewery on the hill.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Stroke Politics

Son0vagun wrote: »
    There's a brewery hill in navan, but I can not find info on wether there was a brewery on the hill.

You're probably thinking of Brew's Hill, which leads out of the town to the hospital. I don't think there was ever a brewery there, looking at Navan Historical Society's website there no mention of any brewery in the area at all. It does say that there was a brewery on Bakery Lane, a small laneway still there today leading from the Fair Green to Trimgate Street, but it doesn't give any details about who ran it or how long it lasted....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

Never heard of a brewery in Trim, but there definately was a bottling plant. It was owned and operated by J&E Smith. They bottled minerals and alcohol AFAIK. It was there where Xtra vision is now. Before Xtra vision, there was a centra, also owned by Smiths. They're still around, you might find something on facebook about Smiths Centra.

As for brewery hill in Navan, are you sure thats not Brews Hill?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

Why not pop into the library in Navan? They have an excellent local studies room. Even better would be to ring them in advance so they can have some sources ready for you.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 37 vincit qui se vincit

There's a chapter about breweries, taverns, cellers and the wine trade in sixteenth-century Meath in this book, a copy of which should be in the Local Studies section of the library in Navan.

From memory, yes there was at least one brewery in Trim at that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

Boyne Valley Brewery have just gained a licence to brew and distribute beer. They will be based in Trim. There was a piece on them in the Chonical. Great to see.

Advertisement