Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interested in Dublin

• 13-01-2013 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm an Irish chap, interested in learning more about Islam. I'm based in Dublin.

Any ideas where to go?

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

As an Irish person living in a Muslim country, I found the best way to learn more about Islam was to visit a mosque.

Perhaps the locals could advise you, but I would say you could take a trip to the mosque in Clonskeagh as a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭HarrisonLennon

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    As an Irish person living in a Muslim country, I found the best way to learn more about Islam was to visit a mosque.

Perhaps the locals could advise you, but I would say you could take a trip to the mosque in Clonskeagh as a start.

I just didnt want to drop by somewhere unannounced, thanks for the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭melmoth77

There's a nice restaurant out there (in clonskeagh mosque) open to the public actually :)

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭HarrisonLennon

melmoth77 wrote: »
    There's a nice restaurant out there (in clonskeagh mosque) open to the public actually :)

Aha! There's the key ;) maybe ill have an expression in my face that wants to know more :)

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭whydoc

welcome, Start here:
    http://www.islam-guide.com/ (order or read online)

You can try this one too:
    http://islamunveiled.com/eng/modules.php?name=free_books

Then go to mosque locator found at the bottom of this page to find the nearest mosque to you, It's better to go there on friday prayers at midday (Prayer Times can be known from the same page), listen to the sermon then talk to the imam after prayers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 Anusia

Hi there,

I'm just hoping to direct some people to take a look at my thread Young, Irish Muslims which Im posted yesterday. If anyone has any advice, I'd be very grateful. Sorry to sly in on your thread!!!

Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 144 ✭✭LostInDharma

hi HarrisonLennon,

Im also Irish and I would know a little about Islam. Can I ask ou what in particular is attracting you to Islam ? Its a bit strange that we have just shook off the shackles of the church and you are so willing to embrace the restrictions of Islam. In which way to you feel Islam will enrich your life ?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Could I ask if visitors who have an interest in Islam but not in converting are welcome?

By interest, I've an interest in religion, I'm agnostic, but I've enjoyed learning about Orthodox Judaism, and the Russian Orthodox Church, and am wondering if I'd be welcome if I were to head out to Clonskeagh to get a perspective on Islam and how it is to live as a Muslim in Ireland?

Nothing sinister, simply wondering what challenges Muslims face, how well they feel society integrates with them etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Stheno wrote: »
    Nothing sinister, simply wondering what challenges Muslims face, how well they feel society integrates with them etc?
    I'd say there will be an Imam at the Muslim mosque that could assist you in your queries. Maybe someone here can point you in the right direction.

Most of the Islamic folk here can answer your questions, although you should be open on why you want such answers (ie; if you're writing for a newspaper/blog/etc).

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

the_syco wrote: »
    I'd say there will be an Imam at the Muslim mosque that could assist you in your queries. Maybe someone here can point you in the right direction.

Most of the Islamic folk here can answer your questions, although you should be open on why you want such answers (ie; if you're writing for a newspaper/blog/etc).

Gosh no, I got into Orthodox Judaism through reading Faye Kellerman novels (I know that sounds really shallow) and I find it interesting that they practice a lot of what what I would called moderate Islam does, but they use wigs instead of headscarfs and do a monthly cleanse after they menstruate which I'm not sure is promoted through Islam.

I find religious history interesting as a hobby I guess, I've read about the crusades, religious discrimination in Nazi Germany, and through novels, a bit more. I've also read about the more extreme side of Islam that results in terror, and a little about the maternal Islam that originated in Persia/Iran.

I've also worked with a couple of Muslims in the late nineties and had to make a case for them to have a prayer room after I found one of them using an alcove for coats as a prayer room on breaks, and tried to shunt their shifts around to accomodate Ramadan. (didn't work, he got stuck 9am - 8pm on a shift during Ramadan when we worked a 24/7 pattern)

My gynae is also Muslim, and we chat regularly, she's a very successful woman and I travel an eighty mile round trip to see her, I rarely see her wearing a headscarf and the first time I did after five years of seeing her, she told me her last patient had her male partner with her, since then we've talked about EID, and it's gotten my interest up, to me she is someone I've huge respect for, is incredibly good at what she does, always has my interest at heart, which you'd want as a patient, but observes a religion possibly seen as hostile here, and does so with good grace.

I compare her with women in Burqas and see no comparison, and I wonder.

You could say it's no different from Catholisism, but she and I had a chat recently after I spent time in East London, and I mentioned I disliked the Muslim form of dress that only allows women show their eyes (hiqab?) she disliked it also.

So I guess I'm wondering much as I've learned about Judaism, but not been able to find much fiction/non fiction (non fiction is about the threat of extremists to the west) just how it varies, how come my gynae to me is a devout muslim, who doesn't drink, smoke, observes the veil, is incredibly polite and supportive work within the very male oriented version of Islam we are led to believe is predominant?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 144 ✭✭LostInDharma

Gosh no, I got into Orthodox Judaism through reading Faye Kellerman novels (I know that sounds really shallow) and I find it interesting that they practice a lot of what what I would called moderate Islam does, but they use wigs instead of headscarfs and do a monthly cleanse after they menstruate which I'm not sure is promoted through Islam.

I find religious history interesting as a hobby I guess, I've read about the crusades, religious discrimination in Nazi Germany, and through novels, a bit more. I've also read about the more extreme side of Islam that results in terror, and a little about the maternal Islam that originated in Persia/Iran.

I've also worked with a couple of Muslims in the late nineties and had to make a case for them to have a prayer room after I found one of them using an alcove for coats as a prayer room on breaks, and tried to shunt their shifts around to accomodate Ramadan. (didn't work, he got stuck 9am - 8pm on a shift during Ramadan when we worked a 24/7 pattern)

My gynae is also Muslim, and we chat regularly, she's a very successful woman and I travel an eighty mile round trip to see her, I rarely see her wearing a headscarf and the first time I did after five years of seeing her, she told me her last patient had her male partner with her, since then we've talked about EID, and it's gotten my interest up, to me she is someone I've huge respect for, is incredibly good at what she does, always has my interest at heart, which you'd want as a patient, but observes a religion possibly seen as hostile here, and does so with good grace.

I compare her with women in Burqas and see no comparison, and I wonder.

You could say it's no different from Catholisism, but she and I had a chat recently after I spent time in East London, and I mentioned I disliked the Muslim form of dress that only allows women show their eyes (hiqab?) she disliked it also.

So I guess I'm wondering much as I've learned about Judaism, but not been able to find much fiction/non fiction (non fiction is about the threat of extremists to the west) just how it varies, how come my gynae to me is a devout muslim, who doesn't drink, smoke, observes the veil, is incredibly polite and supportive work within the very male oriented version of Islam we are led to believe is predominant?

she seems to have a good understanding of secular morals but a lack of understanding of Qur'an

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 326 ✭✭confusedquark

On the contrary, I'd say she's got a good understanding of the Qur'an.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 326 ✭✭confusedquark

Women in Islam also have a sort of a monthly cleanse. They're excused from their daily prayers for the duration of their period, and when it's over, they have to have a shower before can pray again.

You're right - there's a big variation between Muslims and how they live their lives. Fundamentally, the religion is about believing in one God, worshipping Him (with daily prayers, fasting in Ramadan, helping the poor), being good to your family, being modest, avoiding alcohol/gambling, eating halal, etc. That's what everyday Islam is to the majority of muslims in the world. There's nothing there stopping women from furthering their education and being great doctors etc. The male-oriented version that we hear about is something which is common in some countries, but a lot of the practices are culture-driven, and do not necessarily reflect the teachings of Islam (e.g. women not being allowed to drive in Saudi Arabia). I suppose that's something which has to be looked at on a topic-by-topic basis, and whilst highlighting these issues is a good thing so that cultural change can take place, I do feel too much emphasis is put on this by the media and not near enough on what Islam is actually about (above), and thereby stereotypes are created. Just like any other country/religion/population, there are lots of very good Muslims in the world who do great work, and there are lots of not so good Muslims who do all sorts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 kel2

you can drop into any mosque mate without asking! its not like you need an appointment or anything :) best bet would be the mosque on South Circular Road and if you go on Friday after prayers you will find a lot of people that can help you out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33 KerryIslamKIOS

Hi all,

I'm an Irish chap, interested in learning more about Islam. I'm based in Dublin.

Any ideas where to go?

Many thanks

Hope you got yourself sorted mate. Did you manage to find a mosque or a person. If not yet, pm me anytime. peace!

Advertisement