Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Headaches

• 13-01-2013 11:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 437 ✭✭

Hi All,

Off the smokes about 2 weeks now. I've had a headache for the last 3 or 4 days however which is causing lack of sleep and inability to concentrate. I've read that the brain is getting used to having more oxygen and headaches are to be expected. Just curious as to how long these tend to last, and wanted to make sure that they're attributed to the smokes!

What do you think?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Hi t1mm, well done on quitting.

I'm off them 8 weeks now and I have suffered some side effects especially around the 2-4 week period.
    • Only needing 4-5 hrs sleep a night. Awake and up at 5am some mornings. This lasted about a month.
    • 2 weeks in... coughing up loads of brown phelgm. This lasted about a week but still happens now and then in the mornings.
    • Very sore gums around week 3. Stinging like crazy particularly around the molars. This lasted a week but I got some corsydl gel from the chemist to help.
    • Some mild headaches from week 2-5. Something I don't normally suffer with at all. Not had one in a few weeks now so hopefully back to normal.

Also, I've been off work twice with cold/flu symptoms since quitting. I can't remember the last time I was off sick. 3 years at least so to be out twice in short period is very unusual. I have heard people say you catch everything going though when you quit smoking.

Still well worth it though :)

I would say your headaches are related to you quitting and will come and go over the next couple of weeks but if they are severe or you are concerned in any way then go see your Doc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

Scotty # wrote: »
    if they are severe or you are concerned in any way then go see your Doc.

best advice you'll get OP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 437 ✭✭t1mm

Thanks for the replies lads. After a full sleepless night of it, I noticed that putting pressure on my top right wisdom tooth area relieved the pain. The headache was only on the right side of my head to begin with. Went to the doc and he reckons its a wisdom tooth related problem so I'm off for an xray on Saturday!

Thanks again for the help regardless :)

Advertisement