Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend upper middle class area with lots of young families in Dublin?

Options
  • 13-01-2013 11:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Could you recommend the area in Dublin where upper middle class people live and at the same time, the area is 'young' e.g. many young families, lots of amenities for kids ? Preferably with a good connection to the city centre.
    If there is any other positives to mention about the particular area recommended, please do mention it. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Ranelagh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

Cherry Orchard, Ballyfermot. You'll love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

MaxSteele wrote: »
    Cherry Orchard, Ballyfermot. You'll love it.
    If you have nothing helpful to add to the thread - don't bother posting.

tHB

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭liffeylite

melusina wrote: »
    Could you recommend the area in Dublin where upper middle class people live and at the same time, the area is 'young' e.g. many young families, lots of amenities for kids ? Preferably with a good connection to the city centre.
    If there is any other positives to mention about the particular area recommended, please do mention it. Thanks.

Ranelagh, donnybrook, ballsbridge, sandymount, rathgar, terenure, merrion, blackrock, monkstown, sandycove, Rathfarnham, cabinteely, clontarf, glasnevin, killester, castleknock, portmarnock, malahde, sutton howth. Check out any of them on daft.ie plenty of others too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Ranelagh, Rathgar, Terenure.

Each locationhas access to Private Schools, The High School, Sandford Park, Alexandra College. etc.

All of the above have easy access to City Centre, Driving , Walking, Cycling or Public Transport. Ranelagh also has Luas.

Each of the above have shops, banks, bistros, bars,doctors dentists etc. Good community atmosphere.

Hope the above may assist

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

clontarf, raheny and killester, the general area immediately north east of the city centre and howth/sutton. all are very nice areas, very close to town, have excellent amenities and transport links

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Rothgore

donvito99 wrote: »
    Rothgore

there isnt really much in rathgar. its close enough to town yeah but amenities wise it lacks

mfceiling wrote: »
    Ranelagh

around mount pleasant square and the hill isnt exactly upmarket

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭ciaran_h

around mount pleasant square and the hill isnt exactly upmarket

Jasus so ranelagh is rough now yeah? By the same token st. Annes in or conquer hill in clontarf should get a mention.

• Advertisement

clontarf, raheny and killester, the general area immediately north east of the city centre and howth/sutton. all are very nice areas, very close to town, have excellent amenities and transport links

With respect I would not consider Killester and Raheny to be Upper Middle Class.
    Where are the Private Schools. Sorry I am a Southsider:)

liffeylite wrote: »
    Ranelagh, donnybrook, ballsbridge, sandymount, rathgar, terenure, merrion, blackrock, monkstown, sandycove, Rathfarnham, cabinteely, clontarf, glasnevin, killester, castleknock, portmarnock, malahde, sutton howth. Check out any of them on daft.ie plenty of others too.

I would not consider all of the above to be Upper Middle Class.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

What is upper-middle class to you, OP? Everyone might have a different view on what that is.

If you want to get really detailed you could check out the Pobal Deprivation Index that includes education indicators etc but not income, see here
    http://maps.pobal.ie/#/Map

Virtually every part of Dublin that would be regarded as upper-middle class would have areas within it or beside it that are not, we're not as ghetto-ised here as in other cities.

Many more affluent areas because of the housing boom madness were not affordable for young families so there won't be many there. Added to the list above, i'd include Dalkey, Glasthule, Glenageary, really most of the DART stations south of Grand Canal Dock as far as Killiney.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Depends on what you would consider as upper middle class tbh.

A quick rule of thumb (with a few exceptions) would be to follow the Dart Line and the N11, N81, R114, R117 roads.

You should find upper middle class areas along these corridors

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Pretty much anywhere in Dun Laoghaire/Rathdown with the exception of Sallynoggin, Ballybrack and Loughlinstown, might be a little far from the city though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16 juiceking91

Clonee :rolleyes: LOL

Which areas have you considered so far?
    There have been quite a few suggestions And replies .Anywhere in particular of interest to you?
    Where are you living at the moment?

With respect I would not consider Killester and Raheny to be Upper Middle Class.
    Where are the Private Schools. Sorry I am a Southsider:)

mount temple is in killester but since when does a private school make an area upper class? is there any private schools in dolphins barn? or tallaght/clondalkin/ballybrack?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭ciaran_h

mount temple is in killester but since when does a private school make an area upper class? is there any private schools in dolphins barn? or tallaght/clondalkin/ballybrack?

Mt temple is not private. And no priv schools in any of the areas u mention but who's saying they're upper middle class?...not sure what ur argument is other than listing off some 'rough' southside areas......what the hell does upper middle class mean anyway OP? A place full of complete w@nkers IMO which doesn't fit the bill for killester or raheny....therefore I'd say go for rathgar, ranelagh, terenure or anywhere south of grand canal dock

• Registered Users Posts: 15 tallyv

I would say Raheny, clontarf or sutton or on the southside Sandymount, blackrock or stillorgan.

• Advertisement

ciaran_h wrote: »
    Mt temple is not private. And no priv schools in any of the areas u mention but who's saying they're upper middle class?...not sure what ur argument is other than listing off some 'rough' southside areas......what the hell does upper middle class mean anyway OP? A place full of complete w@nkers IMO which doesn't fit the bill for killester or raheny....therefore I'd say go for rathgar, ranelagh, terenure or anywhere south of grand canal dock

whats the point on argueing? there is rough areas all over dublin. South and North, East and West

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

there isnt really much in rathgar. its close enough to town yeah but amenities wise it lacks

Bus frequency is usually stellar by Dublin standards. 10 minute walk from Rathmines which is awash with amenities.

Actually, OP should live in Rathmines.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

tallyv wrote: »
    I would say Raheny, clontarf or sutton or on the southside Sandymount, blackrock or stillorgan.

Raheny, really? I wouldn't have considered that as fitting in as per the title. This from what I remember from my childhood unless it has changed since the late 90s.

Hi Folks,
    Before any mor time is wasted, or before posters fall out with each other, may I suggest we get feedback from the Op on what has been posted so far. It seems a bit unfair to comment further on different areas without hearing from Op!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Glasnevin is pretty nice and very safe if you stay in the Dublin 9 part. It has excellent transport links as I never wait more than 5-10 mins for a bus. However if you live in Glasnevin there is a 95% chance you send your son/daughter to belvedere or loreto on the green and it might be better in the long run to live in an area where there is quality public schools.

But other than that there is a strong sense of community with most major housing developments having an annual community BBQ

Well Op, how are we doing so far?

Have the replies been helpful?

Upper Middle Class??? Mmmmmmmmmmm?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

CAhBRA on the West side.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭gerbilgranny

I'm a little taken aback that someone could be so....blatant....as to request 'upper middle class'.

(And sorry, but I would like to thank the people whose posts have made me laugh!)

But being serious - I've got the impression that, in the UK at least 'upper middle class' actually means very posh indeed. Dublin 4-type posh. Not sure that many of the areas mentioned would cut it.

It'd certainly be interesting to hear more from the OP.

I'm a little taken aback that someone could be so....blatant....as to request 'upper middle class'.

(And sorry, but I would like to thank the people whose posts have made me laugh!)

But being serious - I've got the impression that, in the UK at least 'upper middle class' actually means very posh indeed. Dublin 4-type posh. Not sure that many of the areas mentioned would cut it.

It'd certainly be interesting to hear more from the OP.

Interesting, there are parts of D4 I would not consider posh. This may be an exercise in futility as the Op has not responded so far. I am not sure the Op is genuine nor Upper Middle Class.

In the current economic climate I am not even sure what is Upper Middle Class.
    The construction of the Ops request does not suggest that they are indeed Upper Middle Class.

Perhaps the Op could enlighten us or stop wasting our time. Perhaps the thread should be closed off in the absence of a reply

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Maybe you can move in next to enya?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement