Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend upper middle class area with lots of young families in Dublin?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19 melusina

Thank you for all the posts and suggestions. I am living in Killester at the moment. It is very convenient in reg. to transport and close to the airport, St Annes Park, close to Malahide, Howth, Portmarnock for weekend trips. I do like it here. However, now with the kids, we are getting more involved into the life of the community & I sometimes feel like we don't completely fit in. I am not sure whether 'upper middle class' was completely correct I just guessed I would rate myself there? Definitely didn't mean posh.
    I wouldn't mind staying on the North side, but never lived in the South side so don't know what I'm missing:-)
    It's hard to find a house one would like anyway, so all areas suggested will get my attention:-) Thanks.
    I have also a question how about Malahide?
    And is there any bigger greens/parks around the areas in the South along the Dart line?
    Isn't it hard to get a child into school in the South (I mean if not enrolled straight after birth?)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

In what way do you fell that you don't fit in exactly, do you feel you are of a higher or lower social standing compared to your neighbours?

A bit higher I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭tempura

Are you from Dublin originally op ?

Am not overly fond of your question to be honest but don't wish to railroad your thread.

I have lived in Dublin most of my life, I live in Dublin 8 which is considered to have both rough and good areas, my children go to a private school. I shop in Tesco and on occasion treat myself to M&S ! Your request for an area that suits your need really requires far more information.

I honestly think your thread is a bit trollish, and you are looking for a class war !

melusina wrote: »
    A bit higher I believe.

You might get flack for this from some on here, but I respect your honesty.

I don't really know the area so can't comment specifically.

What I would say is that you can live in a great neighborhood and find yourself living next to people who are extremely posh but a complete pain in the behind too. Likewise, your children can get bullied in a private, fee paying school just as easily as in the local public school, maybe even more so. Is it really worth stressing yourself, probably financially as well as emotionally, when there are probably other things you could do while still living in the same area, to alleviate your fears somewhat? Maybe the things that you have gotten involved with in the community so far just haven't allowed you to make friends with people who you think would have more in common with you?

• Advertisement

Well, I wouldn't like to make any class war here...just to get recommendations for the areas...
    I don't have anything against any sort of people, and would shop anywhere, even Lidl:-)
    Just didn't know how in other simple way to describe what areas I would like to have recommended?
    Arciphel is right and I know that there are good and bad people in any 'class'. Anyway, I don't like that word very much. Didn't want to offend anyone here by all means...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

malahide is well known and has been voted the most upper class area in dublin a few times

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

malahide is well known and has been voted the most upper class area in dublin

Really? Have you a link for that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

Really? Have you a link for that?

do i really need to post one, anyone with a brain knows Malahide is upper class. it was in the pheonix magazine

edit: this is from wiki: Malahide has a higher percentage of professionals living in it than any other town in Ireland, according to figures released by the Central Statistics Office.Malahide came top of the socio-economic charts with the highest proportion of residents classified as employers, managers and higher professionals.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭TheRealPONeil

A visitor can access data from Pobal
    Also the Irish Times published the Deprivation Indexx a couple of weeks ago which mapped data down to virtually street level from the data above. You can view the data in forensic detail here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

do i really need to post one, anyone with a brain knows Malahide is upper class. it was in the pheonix magazine

edit: this is from wiki: Malahide has a higher percentage of professionals living in it than any other town in Ireland, according to figures released by the Central Statistics Office.Malahide came top of the socio-economic charts with the highest proportion of residents classified as employers, managers and higher professionals.

I don't doubt it is upper class. I was looking for a link to the vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭tomdublin

There are no real public amenities in any part of this city and even fewer in posh areas where things like gyms and swimming pools are all private. Why does it have to be an "upper middle class" area anyway are you worried that the lower middle classes could contaminate your children?

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭TheRealPONeil

Just pick a blue area

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭brokenarms

tempura wrote: »
    Are you from Dublin originally op ?

Am not overly fond of your question to be honest but don't wish to railroad your thread.

I have lived in Dublin most of my life, I live in Dublin 8 which is considered to have both rough and good areas, my children go to a private school. I shop in Tesco and on occasion treat myself to M&S ! Your request for an area that suits your need really requires far more information.

I honestly think your thread is a bit trollish, and you are looking for a class war !

I would say the **** is really going to hit the fan when all the peasants come home from the pub and read this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

Well it really depends on what you want to spend on a house. As you are going to get a lot more anywhere on the north side than you would in the D6/4 area. Also a lot of the areas mentioned are very nice but I am not sure if there are a huge amount of young family's in them ESP ballsbridge,rathgar or donnybrook.

Also the Irish Times published the Deprivation Indexx a couple of weeks ago which mapped data down to virtually street level from the data above. You can view the data in forensic detail here.

That is brilliant, thanks for posting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

I don't have anything to add to this thread, but I want to thank you for sharing the links. What a fascinating set of data. Didn't realise just how disadvantaged I am. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Sandycove and Sandymount are lovely.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 809 ✭✭✭frankosw

I smell a troll in the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭RayCon

Woo hoo .... Marginally Above Average

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

anncoates, if you want to discuss modding of the forum, pm me. Do not discuss it on thread. Any more back seat modding will result in infractions or bans, this applies to everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Professionals would not typically be considered upper class.

I don't see anything at all wrong in the OP mentioning the environment they want to live in. Why do people suddenly shout troll when someone doesn't want to live in the Dublin City's favourite area "The Liberties - everyone's so down to earth..."?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

malahide is well known and has been voted the most upper class area in dublin a few times

its not tho, its like greystones, thinks it is but really isnt

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Keep it on-topic please.

tHB

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

The OP talks about somewhere where there's a lot of people with young families. On the CSO site there's a map with filtering options. Using the map with a filter on for percentage of population aged between 0 and 14, it shows the following affluent areas (thanks Pobal maps!) as having a relatively high percentage of children:
    Castleknock
    Clontarf
    Clonskeagh
    Foxrock / Cabinteely
    Mount Merrion / parts of Blackrock

Of these, Mount Merrion is probably handiest for access to town. OTOH Castleknock and Clontarf are both beside huge parks. Come to think of it, Foxrock has a decent park nearby too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭RADIUS

Upper middle class people don't live in housing estates. They live in their own estates.

If you want middle class Dublin has plenty, most along the Dart line as has been said before.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Janedoe10

melusina wrote: »
    Could you recommend the area in Dublin where upper middle class people live and at the same time, the area is 'young' e.g. many young families, lots of amenities for kids ? Preferably with a good connection to the city centre.
    If there is any other positives to mention about the particular area recommended, please do mention it. Thanks.

Please define upper middle class -

Enlighten me I thought certain social classes mixed in only certain areas and got an allergy of stepping outside that realm .

Never the twain would meet or something .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

This thread is going down that road again, more trouble than its worth. OP do some research on some areas you're interested in, then come back and ask about specific areas. Closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement