Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

knockdown - Old mill - Planning application

Options
  • 14-01-2013 12:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭

Mill road.gets its name from the old historic building (in ruins now) known as the mill..its on the left heading out of gstones headin for killingcarrig..and an aldi is being planned for there too..??news to me..anybody else hear anything about it.?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

I had heard a rumour about Aldi being built in the closed garden centre about a18 months ago but nothing more, seems a small area for an Aldi and carpark.
    Heard lately the mill might be for demolition but it may be just a rumour
    (rumour mill)

Bus stop gets 'a dig' to make way for Aldi store
    Wednesday May 04 2011
    A NEW BUS STOP on Mill Road is expected to be dug up again shortly to facilitate the development of an Aldi store.

At last week's meeting of the Greystones Town Council Cllr. Ciaran Hayden said a new disability friendly bus stop which he understood to cost in the region of € 5,000 had been installed. However, he said the bus stop was on the Mill Road at the proposed Aldi site and he said due to the development of Aldi the bus stop would be dug up again in a couple of months.

'It seems to be a waste of public money', he said.

Town engineer Eoin Heslin said he tried to delay the bus stop but he had been overruled.

Found here > http://www.braypeople.ie/news/bus-stop-gets-a-dig-to-make-way-for-aldi-store-2637631.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    Bus stop gets 'a dig' to make way for Aldi store
    Wednesday May 04 2011
    A NEW BUS STOP on Mill Road is expected to be dug up again shortly to facilitate the development of an Aldi store.

At last week's meeting of the Greystones Town Council Cllr. Ciaran Hayden said a new disability friendly bus stop which he understood to cost in the region of € 5,000 had been installed. However, he said the bus stop was on the Mill Road at the proposed Aldi site and he said due to the development of Aldi the bus stop would be dug up again in a couple of months.

'It seems to be a waste of public money', he said.

Town engineer Eoin Heslin said he tried to delay the bus stop but he had been overruled.

Found here > http://www.braypeople.ie/news/bus-stop-gets-a-dig-to-make-way-for-aldi-store-2637631.html
    god!!!shows how useless c hayden is with a statement like " 5000 euro "seems like a waste of money" ..lol..anyway the aldi is planned for the site at councellor haydens bustop..and the "mill"was originally to be saved but now its cheaper to knock it down for the planned offices..

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

Isnt the La Touche going to have its listed status removed as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

homer911 wrote: »
    Isnt the La Touche going to have its listed status removed as well?
    if i recall correctly they may be obliged to keep the front of the hotel but the rest is to be knocked....happy memories of the la touche manys the lovely pint there..and was in there i saw someone using a 'mobile'phone for the first time...twas about the size of a fire log. lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

Did I not read a few months back that Cllr. Hayden had resigned?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 274 ✭✭The Durutti Column

loobylou wrote: »
    Did I not read a few months back that Cllr. Hayden had resigned?

You sure did. He claimed it was a protest against the abolition of town councils.

However, more likely because of a conflict of interest between being a politician and his new job as Fire Officer. He also has withdrawn from public association with his former fuel shop at Blacklion, now renamed.

Maudi wrote: »
    if i recall correctly they may be obliged to keep the front of the hotel but the rest is to be knocked....happy memories of the la touche manys the lovely pint there..and was in there i saw someone using a 'mobile'phone for the first time...twas about the size of a fire log. lol

There's a proposal in the development plan to remove the status of the front as a protected structure

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=82582488

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

I cannot understand why the Mill should be knocked, its not like Greystones has an abundance of historical buildings!! There are plenty of places an Aldi could go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Cerco

Is there public access to the old mill? It appears to me it is on private property with no access to the public.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

I wonder what they used to make at this mill, and during what time period.

Killincarrig Mill

The earliest printed reference to Killincarrig mill is in the 1837 Lewis Topographical Directory under the heading of 'Killincarrig'. Killincarrig village, it was noted had 168 inhabitants living in 23 houses. 'Killincarrig House' was the seat of Arthur Jones Esq., who 'has an extensive mill here'.

Later the mill was known as Courtney's Mill and it eventually passed into the Burnaby Estate. It now belongs to Wicklow County Council. The mill is the last remaining of the above four mentioned and with its ivy-clad shell is a haunting monument to a period of prosperity and change in the local economy
    Found here > http://www.greystonesahs.org/gahs/index.php/journals/129

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭woodsy2

The application for its demolition is actually an amendment to the previously approved plan for the supermarket. The original plan had included the actual restoration of the mill into retail units (which sounded pretty good), but for some reason they now want to knock the building and build a similar sized (to the mill) retail block, so any objections will just be against the demolition and not necessarily against the supermarket, I'll see if I can dig up the original application.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭FirstIn

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    Killincarrig Mill

The earliest printed reference to Killincarrig mill is in the 1837 Lewis Topographical Directory under the heading of 'Killincarrig'. Killincarrig village, it was noted had 168 inhabitants living in 23 houses. 'Killincarrig House' was the seat of Arthur Jones Esq., who 'has an extensive mill here'.

Later the mill was known as Courtney's Mill and it eventually passed into the Burnaby Estate. It now belongs to Wicklow County Council. The mill is the last remaining of the above four mentioned and with its ivy-clad shell is a haunting monument to a period of prosperity and change in the local economy
    Found here > http://www.greystonesahs.org/gahs/index.php/journals/129

I like the map that's part of this site. As a young lad I played around the mill, mill lane (described as old road on the map) and the fields below the mill. Upstream from the mill towards the river there wasn't anything left of the old mill race, however below the mill much of it was still there. All sorts of old tunnels, streams, channels etc. There was quite a large pond (small lake) close to where the mill race would have linked back in to the river. It would freeze over at times in the winter and we'd slip and slide our way out on it! Plenty of frog spawn in the spring too. Great memories. Now it's very very different. Progress they call it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

FirstIn wrote: »
    As a young lad I played around the mill, mill lane (described as old road on the map) and the fields below the mill. Upstream from the mill towards the river there wasn't anything left of the old mill race..
    Anyone can still walk up Mill Lane, if they want to get a glimpse of the old Mill before it goes, although you can't see much. Its a public right of way along the river, coming out at the three trouts bridge on the Kilcoole road. Starting from the "picnic tables car park" across the road from the tennis club, you will see a big red plastic barrier thing facing you (to keep vehicles out) on the other side of the road. Walk in through there.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Delganyman

Here’s a thought. As a bit of an amateur railway historian, I recently read that following damage to the line around 1901 after a storm, there were serious plans to run the railway well west of the town with a station near Church Road then bisecting the golf course and taking in lands around the Mill and grounds belonging to the tennis club. Stations would have been built west of Church Road and at the Mill with level crossings on the main roads. An Act was passed in August 1903 to proceed with the plan but funds of up to £100,000 couldn’t be raised. How different things might have been!

Advertisement