Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Awards Season Style

• 14-01-2013 12:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Meangadh

First thread I've started! :)

Awards season has begun, and although I love movies and whatnot, my favourite thing about the awards has to be the fashion. So, what's the general consensus on the gúnas and glam at this year's Golden Globes?

I've only seen a few so far (watching on E!), but I reckon this page will be updated as the night goes on:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/02/golden-globes-2013-red-carpet-photos-fashion-dresses_n_2398097.html#slide=1976877

Don't really like Amy Adams' dress, Katherine McFee's dress is smokin' (although her hair is a bit blah) and I cannot BELIEVE that Claire Danes only had a baby a month ago, that Versace dress on her is amazing.

And God I wish Giuliana Rancic would eat, the is just skeletal :(

Edit: Not feeling Zooey Deschanel's gown either, kinda boring.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭pookiesboo

Michelle Dockery looks lovely, the rest, pah!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Nicole Kidman looked fantastic!

nicole_kidman_australian_actress_2013_golden_globes_red_carpet_sexy_black_see_through_gown_18f6mkq-18f6mkt.jpg?x=400&q=80&n=1&sig=ES.u3panX5KUpoOd.13FyA--

I love Zosia Mamet in general, but in terms of the outfit bit of lippie and some jewelry would have gone a long way! Dress is nice though

1358133480_zosia-mamet-zoom.jpg

Halle Berry... Well, WTF? Awful dress choice. Very 2000s.

Halle-Berry-Golden-Globes-2013-Pictures.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I love love love Zosia Mamet's dress, but the nude lip is killing me. I want to pin her down and apply some colour to her face.

Speaking of colour, WOAH Kaley Cuoco fire your nake up artist stat! :eek: There's such a disconnect between the dress and the makeup, yuck.

slide_274446_1977167_free.jpg?1358133239000

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

What the hell was Sienna Miller wearing? It's awful!

slide_274446_1978322_free.jpg?1358133239000

Also, I don't know who Jessica Chastain is, but her dress is way too big for her:

slide_274446_1977200_free.jpg?1358133239000

It seems fishtail, faux strapless and cut-out were the main trends.

Meangadh wrote: »

And God I wish Giuliana Rancic would eat, the is just skeletal :(

You're right, it's scary looking at her!

slide_274446_1976838_free.jpg?1358133239000

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Sunshineboo

Not overwhelmed by any of the dresses this year although I think Isla Fisher nailed it with her dress,hair and make-up.

I'm a bit on the fence about Jennifer Lawerence's dress, never mad about about strapless dresses although her waist looks tiny in it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Meangadh

Faith wrote: »

It seems fishtail, faux strapless and cut-out were the main trends.

All things that I actually hate!

Well, strapless can look ok, depending on the person (I wish more brides would reconsider their choice of strapless for example!) - I don't think the strapless gown that Debra Messing wore did anything for her. It wasn't awful, but it just didn't do anything for her.

One of my favourites (although I don't know much about her bar her being Ryan Seacrest's lady) was Julianne Hough, I loved how her dress was sparkly and fluffy but her hair and make up was more edgy.

article-2262208-16EB0807000005DC-104_634x816.jpg

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

I really did not like a single one of those dresses! Very disappointing show this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 tallyv

I thought Halle Berry looked gorgeous so young looking!!! hot!

Kate-Hudson-Black-Golden-Globes-2013 (1).jpg I've just seen Kate Hudson's dress, I think it is beautiful, long sleeves can be very elegant.

• Advertisement

Kate-Hudson-Black-Golden-Globes-2013 (1).jpg I've just seen Kate Hudson's dress, I think it is beautiful, long sleeves can be very elegant.

Yeah I loved it too but I WISH she had done something else with her hair, some sort of upstyle or sleeked it back, because her hair down is covering up that amazing detail around the neckline. Great dress though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 233 ✭✭ENMcD

I loved this dress!!

hayden-panettiere-golden-globes-2013-red-carpet.jpg

I thought Kristen Bell looked adorable, a really beautiful maternity dress.

kristen-bell-golden-globes-2013-red-carpet-dax-shepard.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭tan11ie

Loved Isla Fishers Dress
    isla-fisher.jpg

Also Kate Hudson's, but agree she should have wore her hair up to show off the detail on the top of her dress.
    Kate-Hudson-in-Alexander-McQueen-2013-Golden-Globe-Awards.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Kate Hudson just looked unreal imo.

If you see Kaley Cuoco inside, the make up doesn't look as bad as out on the carpet, the lights are probably quite severe there but still, not her best look. The dress is really gorgeous and the make up just ruins it.

A lot of the attendees just went with the old reliables, nothing really stood out, only the horrible outfits.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭fiona-f

I can't believe no one mentioned Marion Collard yet, I thought her dress was beautiful. I loved the draping and the belt, and that orange colour was also lovely on Clare Danes., I might have chosen other shoes though. I'm not sure how to upload the pic, sorry.

Overall though, this red carpet was a bit dull, I really disliked the thigh-high split that seems to be the new trend.

Kate Hudson just looked unreal imo.

If you see Kaley Cuoco inside, the make up doesn't look as bad as out on the carpet, the lights are probably quite severe there but still, not her best look. The dress is really gorgeous and the make up just ruins it.

A lot of the attendees just went with the old reliables, nothing really stood out, only the horrible outfits.

I absolutely loved Kaley Cuoco's dress. I probably just would have toned down the lipstick but other than that I didn't totally hate her make up.

Didn't like Lena Dunham's dress really, think I would have liked it way more in a different colour- but it is great to see "unconventional" (if that's the right word) people getting accolades.

fiona-f wrote: »
    I can't believe no one mentioned Marion Collard yet, I thought her dress was beautiful. I loved the draping and the belt, and that orange colour was also lovely on Clare Danes., I might have chosen other shoes though. I'm not sure how to upload the pic, sorry.

Overall though, this red carpet was a bit dull, I really disliked the thigh-high split that seems to be the new trend.

Aw I didn't really like Marion Cotillard's dress, and I usually love what she wears. I think it was mostly the shoes I didn't like. I didn't really like her hair. For those who want to see, here's a pic!

o-MARION-COTILLARD-GOLDEN-GLOBES-570.jpg?13

I absolutely loved Kaley Cuoco's dress. I probably just would have toned down the lipstick but other than that I didn't totally hate her make up.

Didn't like Lena Dunham's dress really, think I would have liked it way more in a different colour- but it is great to see "unconventional" (if that's the right word) people getting accolades.

If you see her inside it's like her lipstick has rubbed off or something because she doesn't look so severe but I think she looks caked in foundation. Maybe just not used to seeing her so glammed up.

Lena Dunham would've been stunning in any dress (love the tats on show) that she wasn't so obviously struggling in. She could barely move or walk, don't know if it was the dress or the shoes though.

Aw I didn't really like Marion Cotillard's dress, and I usually love what she wears. I think it was mostly the shoes I didn't like. I didn't really like her hair. For those who want to see, here's a pic!

o-MARION-COTILLARD-GOLDEN-GLOBES-570.jpg?13

Missed her! Thanks for the pic.

Gorgeous but hate the shoes.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Yeah Cotillard's shoes are fairly hideous!!

Halle Berry, as we say in Ireland, "the cut of you!" The dresses she could put on that body and that's what she picks?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Loved Jennifer Lopez's dress.

th?id=IA.70992531469&pid=15.1

Helen Mirren looked amazing.

10316559-f462-3413-b98b-e94784225c40

Debra Messing's dress did nothing for her.

th?id=IA.70995808045&pid=15.1

Michelle Dockery's dress was my favourite.

309e0334-1d7c-3917-9738-3d3f2ca87101

^^^^^^^^^

That pic of Debra Messing isn't from last night, this is her gúna from last night:

golden-globes-2013-debra-messing__oPt.jpg

Not absolutely disgusting or anything, just blah and not making the most of her figure.

Yeah loved Michelle Dockery's too.

Off topic, but I hate Hugh Jackman's wife, the lucky beeeeeeeep :pac:

Yep, you're right. The pic I had was huge so I googled it and just picked the first one! I think it's awful on her. It makes her look totally shapeless.

When Debra Messing was in Will & Grace she was very very skinny and in recent years she has put on weight, which I think makes her look really gorgeous, especially with that lovely head of hair, but she has taken to wearing a lot of black unflattering dresses. I'd love to see her in red or green. She'd look gorgeous.

Totally agree about Debra Messing would love to see her wear a stronger colour like green because she has the features and hair to totally pull it off!

Really don't know what Halle Berry was thinking looks like one of those really tacky dresses that are on sale in a debs shop, in my opinion. Didn't like Jennifer Lopez's dress at all she can wear some stunning dresses but that is bordering on trashy, Helen Mirren looks amazing, very flattering classy dress.

When Debra Messing was in Will & Grace she was very very skinny and in recent years she has put on weight, which I think makes her look really gorgeous, especially with that lovely head of hair, but she has taken to wearing a lot of black unflattering dresses. I'd love to see her in red or green. She'd look gorgeous.

Ha, when I saw her I used those words too!! I sound like my Granny! Yeah I wish she left it down, she has beautiful red curls.

And I agree the little bit more weight suits her (she used to be SO thin!), I'd love to see her in a green sparkly gown that showed off her curves- with her hair down of course! :)

I don't like Jennifer Lopez's dress because I hate that faux naked look with flesh coloured material. I think it looks really cheap.

Is Alyssa Milano pregnant, or was she just wearing an incredibly unflattering dress?

slide_274446_1976877_free.jpg?1358133239000

I really liked Julianne Hough's dress, as posted above.

I love the shape of Lucy Liu's dress, but not the pattern:

slide_274446_1977232_free.jpg?1358133239000

I really hated Rachel Weisz's dress too:

slide_274446_1977129_free.jpg?1358133239000

There really weren't many that I liked!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I thought Claire Danes looked absolutely awesome:

slide_274446_1976908_free.jpg?1358133239000

As did Jennifer Lawrence:

slide_274446_1977065_free.jpg?1358133239000

Maybe that's my red-dress bias :)

I thought Taylor Swift looked amazing too.

Kirsten Bell and Alyssa Milano just looked frumpy.

glenn close looked great, liked that one
    slide_274446_1978297_free.jpg?1358133239000

claire danes got it right too

anne hathaway, very interesting look, think I like it

adele just looks frumpy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Wow. There is not one dress I like.

They are all so bbbboring..

Lia_lia wrote: »

Really? I thought a few of them were interesting, even though they weren't my taste. And I liked that there was plenty of colour among the standard black and cream numbers.

I wouldn't call Halle Berry, Sienna Miller, Rachel Weisz or Lucy Liu's dresses boring.

Just ugly :P

^ I think some of them are quite boring. I mean, in terms of what they have access to. Gammy can be boring!

And what's the craic with Claire Danes? She just looks like she's off to the debs. In 2006.

• Advertisement

Also, what happened to Nicole Richie? She looks about 15 years older :eek:

2013goldenglobes_nicolerichie002.jpg

^ I think some of them are quite boring. I mean, in terms of what they have access to. Gammy can be boring!

And what's the craic with Claire Danes? She just looks like she's off to the debs. In 2006.

I guess the objective of everyone is not to look different. Sometimes classical, elegant and timeless are what people want, rather than unusual or interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭tan11ie

Also, what happened to Nicole Richie? She looks about 15 years older :eek:

2013goldenglobes_nicolerichie002.jpg

She even matched her eye shadow to her dress ....just terrible IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Aly-Raisman-Olympic-gymnast.jpg

I quite liked Aly Raisman- her hair, makeup and jewellery were very beautiful and classic. As for the dress, I like the collar, colour on her, and the neckline- very few can pull that off without looking trashy. She has a hard time with dress shapes as she's very square and muscular (Olympic gymnast). That is teammate Gabby Douglas to her right- a candidate for one of the worst I think. The dress drowned her, horrible colour and sequins, too dainty for strapless, gross bag and shoes, and the wig did nothing for her- she has a lovely face and hair, and very pixie like stature- how could they get it so wrong!

Yeah, Gabby Douglas's dress seemed to be way way too big for her. Her shoes look fab in that pic though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Malari wrote: »
    I guess the objective of everyone is not to look different. Sometimes classical, elegant and timeless are what people want, rather than unusual or interesting.

You can do those without being boring or ugly but very few, if any, managed that this year imo

arielwinter.jpg

Oh, I loved Ariel Winter's as well! It's so cute, I forget she's only about 14 but she really looks youthful and fun in this

Not mad on the shoes though...

Yeah she looks dotey in that (I agree the shoes could be nicer but they're not horrific or anything). Love her little hairband, the whole thing is so age appropriate which is lovely.

Unlike her co-star, Sarah Hyland- now to be fair, she's not a child, she's 22. But I just thought this dress was way too old on her and her boobs just looked ridiculous. It was like she was trying to be Sofia Vergara (who I think looked like she was trying waaay to hard when she was posing on the red carpet).

Sarah Hyland:

sarah-hyland-2013-golden-globes.jpg

Sofia Vergara:

c7284589c8dca46b_sofia-vergara.xxxlarge_1.jpg

Bleugh for both.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭shoos

I think these three ladies were my favourite, really gorgeous dresses.

adams_danes_fox_620x350.jpg

Amy Adams is CRAZY pretty. B*tch.

tan11ie wrote: »
    She even matched her eye shadow to her dress ....just terrible IMO.

Such a no-no imo.

Totally agree about Nicole Richie :eek:

This is a really funny read, some of the captions are hilarious :D

http://thedailyedge.thejournal.ie/golden-globes-2013-dresses-753275-Jan2013/

"Lena "my dress looks like every debs dress ever" Dunham" - so true.

"Helena "look, I got dressed up" Bonham Carter and Tim "I hurt my arm shoehorning Johnny Depp into another one of my films" Burton." :pac:

I loved:

Lucy "no, this is not a tablecloth from Avoca" Liu.

Zooey "look at my fringe" Deschanel

and my favourite one (and believe me, I'm no Twiggy, but that dress was stupidly tight)

Sofia "I hope THIS dress can contain my arse" Vergara.

Hahaha!! :D

Although I have to say I thought the comment from the first reader that said "If I had a back like Julianna Margulies I would never cover it up and walk everywhere backwards" was priceless too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Those comments are the funniest thing I've read in a long while.

Sorry to drag back up this old thread but I was looking at the fashion from the SAG Awards last night.

Kaley Cuoco really needs to sack that stylist!

article-2269418-17348238000005DC-146_634x879.jpg

I like the dress but the rest of her is just a disaster. She is such a stunning stunning woman. She could look amazing. I've seen her look better on TBBT!

• Advertisement
Advertisement