Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I just gave away all my games but 1.

• 14-01-2013 12:53am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭

It has become painfully clear that I play too many video games this month as I came closer and closer to becoming one of those kotaku articles about someone who plays too many video games needing to get off their ass to work or even live.

With the exception of a few titles all my games on my pc were either disc based or via steam, so I packed up all my game discs, deleted the installations on my computer and sent a cd wallet of games back to my family home in tipperary (which everyone knows the popular phrase about that.)

Which leaves Steam which I just gave away (deleted my card details first of course) with all 145 games on it to a friend.

Huh.

strange new world.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Get out

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'll be buried with my games!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

What was the one you held onto? Arma2? That's plenty ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

i feel it is appropriate to play this while reading your comment

Lets just hope you wont regret your decision

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Lucutus wrote: »
    What was the one you held onto? Arma2? That's plenty ;)

Yeah Arma 2 (dayz/wasteland) started this mess when I became away I was up at 6am for the 4th day running playing zombie survival/lone gunman on a hill so I had to force myself not to choose that as my only game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,491 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I bet you it's Snake on his Nokia

It's so easy to get access to games these days what with smart phones, tablets, PC/laptop, even sky have games up on their service
    so as a service and out of the goodness of my heart I would be willing to take all your electronic devices off your hands so as you don't relapse

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    It has become painfully clear that I play too many video games this month as I came closer and closer to becoming one of those kotaku articles about someone who plays too many video games needing to get off their ass to work or even live.

With the exception of a few titles all my games on my pc were either disc based or via steam, so I packed up all my game discs, deleted the installations on my computer and sent a cd wallet of games back to my family home in tipperary (which everyone knows the popular phrase about that.)

Which leaves Steam which I just gave away (deleted my card details first of course) with all 145 games on it to a friend.

Huh.

strange new world.

You seem to be swinging between two excesses of behaviour; I don't think your problem is the amount of games that you have.

And the only game you didn't give away is the one that keeps you awake all night; am I reading that right? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

This is basically like saying I have a drug problem and I will fix it by giving away all of my drugs apart from Heroin! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,464 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

wow you have away a steam account with 145 games, bloody hell. Out of interest how much do you think you could of gotten for it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Elmidena

I was not the friend that got 145 free games :(
    But kudos, took a lot of guts to do that and hope you don't wind up regretting your decision!

• Advertisement

Andy!! wrote: »
    You seem to be swinging between two excesses of behaviour; I don't think your problem is the amount of games that you have.

And the only game you didn't give away is the one that keeps you awake all night; am I reading that right? :pac:

no I gave arma 2 away too.

this applies to the heroin comment too, the game I held on to was not because its the one I played the most or anything but simply because I hadnt finished it yet.

And no its not some endless epic like civ 5 or skyrim (both of which were on my steam and now with my friend)

As for value, I wouldnt think its too high, I got a lot of indie or classic games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,546 ✭✭✭✭Varik

no I gave arma 2 away too.

What was the game then?

Varik wrote: »
    What was the game then?

splinter cell conviction, picked it up last week for £4 at hmv and am about 2/3rds of the way through (I guess I'd heard it was only a six or so hour game and i've been chipping away at it for about 4 hours now) so thought I'd finish it before I delete it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I give you a month max before you're writing a new post bitching about having to download everything again.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Bit rash IMO.

Do you think it will be something you regret down the line? You can't change by suddenly giving everything away. You're still a gamer at the core of it. Gaming in moderation is the key. Live a perfectly balanced life, it's possible.

Instead you've just turned your world upside down and gave up something you are quite obviously passionate about.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

splinter cell conviction, picked it up last week for £4 at hmv and am about 2/3rds of the way through (I guess I'd heard it was only a six or so hour game and i've been chipping away at it for about 4 hours now) so thought I'd finish it before I delete it.

You won't be buying anymore games then?

I give you a month max before you're writing a new post bitching about having to download everything again.

actually probably six months, the person who I gave my steam account to offered if I regret this I can take it back off him in six months (he caculates it'll take him that long to play all the games on the account)
    Bit rash IMO.

Yeah but I needed rash, I just finished a major project and right now I should be out capitalizing on it and working towards my future but every day when I wake up and declare I must get that letter done today or post that application or any such things I say *after a quick game of X* next its almost 4am and I've done nothing.

Do you think it will be something you regret down the line? You can't change by suddenly giving everything away. You're still a gamer at the core of it. Gaming in moderation is the key. Live a perfectly balanced life, it's possible.

Instead you've just turned your world upside down and gave up something you are quite obviously passionate about.

You won't be buying anymore games then?

I intend to bring it back in slowly when I am more sure of my control so if I am employed and somewhat back to a healthy lifestyle in six months I'll probably start buying the odd title. It just got ridiculous the last few months. I had a good balance a few years a go when I was living in dublin, but something just went wrong the last year and my video consumption went through the roof. Funny thing when I first planned to move over to London I had originally intended to leave my pc and games console at home and take just my old mac for work so I could focus on it more, and I was told in much the same way not to be so rash. Wasnt rash last time, so lets be rash this time.

Also as stated in the original post

All cd based games are not sold or thrown away, I sent them away to my family home, obviously I can get them back when I decide the time is right, though at the same time I cant just pop over the Irish sea and pick em up on a whim.

Fair play. Whilst it's safe to say there's lots of us that love gaming I do have moments where Monday rolls around and I think to myself, I could really have done something better than play X for the entire weekend, like go out with the GF etc.

I hope you enjoy all your spare time :)

What I was thinking.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'll be taking a pretty long break from gaming myself soon enough, as i'll be travelling and am not going to get a laptop to even play some games. Will be the first time in a long time that i've not had access to a gaming pc, and i'm already looking forward to going back and playing all the games that i will miss in 2013 :o

Don't think i could give all my games away though. Especially not my pc games.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

strange new world.

Great, now your free to pump your body full of poisons like nicotine & alcohol and live a normal life. Congrats man

Maybe try reading to fill that gap? Plenty of amazing stories out there not told through the medium of games. Maybe some airsoft for the gameplay? ;P Lots of things to do that don't involve booze and smoking crack. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Well done OP. I gave up gaming when it started to interfere with my life too much, then I found boards to waste my time on instead :).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭Gotham

OP, this is not exactly directed at you, but I want to post an opinion.
    I see people posting online about how they have had a realisation that they have wasted their life playing games. They then continue to preach to people about how they waste their time playing games.
    Playing games might be wasting time for some, but its a way of life for many. If I weren't able to play games, I'd probably have nothing to live for and off myself. That's not pathetic, it's passionate.

When I see a post like this complaining that someones 150 games are destroying their life it makes me feel "angry" for a few reasons.
    A). It's not the games, it's their attitude to non-game facets of life that are "destroying" their life - addictive personality disorder.
    B). Many times it insults people who dedicate their life to games. Without those passionate people, you would be left with only shi­tty EA titles.

I understand you need to get some work done, but don't blame the games.
    OP, if you feel this is what you need to do then I wish you good luck, it's not easy to stop having so much fun.

Kiith wrote: »
    I'll be taking a pretty long break from gaming myself soon enough, as i'll be travelling and am not going to get a laptop to even play some games. Will be the first time in a long time that i've not had access to a gaming pc, and i'm already looking forward to going back and playing all the games that i will miss in 2013 :o

Don't think i could give all my games away though. Especially not my pc games.

When I went travelling I brought a netbook and loaded it with oldschool games. Was great, you'd be surprised what a netbook can actually run as well.

Another thing is here in Australia (seeing as I know your destination) we're geographically screwed pingwise for internet gaming... It's not fun :(

biko wrote: »
    Well done OP. I gave up gaming when it started to interfere with my life too much, then I found boards to waste my time on instead :).

You jest but I spend far too much time scrollin' scrollin' scrollin' on sites like this. I have made it my mission this year to game MORE as it's more pro-active than this!! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

It rings me the episode of family guy where Peter learns about his drinking problem.

If you keep drinking like that you will become an asshole who terrorises his family and gives cigar marks.
    If you drop alcohol completely, you will become complete douche and boring bastard.

So what do you need? Moderation. You need to keep a balance between two. Same is with gaming.

To make this situation even more crazy, gaming is not as bad as other addictions. OP, do you have already a plan what will you do in free time? Drink in pub? Waste time in front of TV?

I wish you best of luck with your celibacy, but I don't support it.

OP, this is not exactly directed at you, but I want to post an opinion.
    I see people posting online about how they have had a realisation that they have wasted their life playing games. They then continue to preach to people about how they waste their time playing games.

I know its not aimed at me, but I need to stress I never considered gaming a waste of time, my reasons for doing this is as stated I found gaming was interfering with my life as a whole.

I mean look at the times I've been posting at, my sleep schedule is really messed up at the moment from long sessions into the night and I need for the immediate future not have this interference.
    Great, now your free to pump your body full of poisons like nicotine & alcohol and live a normal life. Congrats man
    OP, do you have already a plan what will you do in free time? Drink in pub? Waste time in front of TV?

don't smoke, not a heavy drinker or even a binge drinker and I haven't done drugs since I left college, I do eat a lot so I also started a new diet this week and am trying to resume my exercise schedule I was doing last year but seriously let it slip. New social commitments such as a london based boardgaming group and oddly enough a friends bowling team (yes I laughed too, but he really wants to give it a go)

Not to mention actually getting some work done that I keep putting off and playing video games instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,508 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Gotham wrote: »
    If I weren't able to play games, I'd probably have nothing to live for and off myself. That's not pathetic, it's passionate.

No, that shows you have serious issues.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I hope it works out for ya

Advertisement