Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I just gave away all my games but 1.

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭Gotham

No, that shows you have serious issues.

Think about the amount of singers, actors, comedians and entertainers who would be in the same position. Sure, they have issues but isint it more understandable when you apply what I said to them? Like them, I have devoted my life to my career, and I'm happy with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,746 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

So, if you are removing the games from your life why are posting about it here?

not being a smartarse, i'm just curious why you'd go to the trouble of getting rid of all but one, then post about it on the games forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    don't smoke, not a heavy drinker or even a binge drinker and I haven't done drugs since I left college, I do eat a lot so I also started a new diet this week and am trying to resume my exercise schedule I was doing last year but seriously let it slip. New social commitments such as a london based boardgaming group and oddly enough a friends bowling team (yes I laughed too, but he really wants to give it a go)

I'm simply making the point that a normal life to a lot of people is to spend a lot of money poisoning yourself, drinking until you vomit all over a taxi at the weekend, give out how your never doing it again & then repeat it all again the next Friday night.

Playing games, especially if you enjoy it, seems as good a hobby as any to me. It certainly should in no way be considered odd, given the utter bollox most people spend their time doing

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I'll box away all my consoles for a month now and again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

not being a smartarse, i'm just curious why you'd go to the trouble of getting rid of all but one, then post about it on the games forum.

If it's a very big part of his life and he feels is getting out of hand, he's probably looking for a bit of support/encouragement. Can't be easy going cold turkey!

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

No, that shows you have serious issues.

Agreed... nothing to live for, seriously. That would want to be a pretty big exaggeration Gotham or you can lump yourself in with the OP and go and find more to life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Jeez give the poor feller a break , who stoll your biscuit this morning

I do think getting rid of all games was a bit drastic , you should have just toned it down gradually . Make yourself a rota every week and stick to it .

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

mr-t-meme-generator-fool-i-pity-you-99a912.jpg?1308512115.jpg

Seriously bad year to be trying to just cold turkey gaming though isnt it, i mean gta 5 will probably be out in a few months, new consoles should be out this year , a metric **** ton of great games coming as well (particularly on pc which is what your after giving up), just seems like you've set yourself up for failure to me but never the less best of luck with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Queue blitz closing his account on boards.ie in a few months and mysterious new poster joining games community! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

EnterNow wrote: »
    I'm simply making the point that a normal life to a lot of people is to spend a lot of money poisoning yourself, drinking until you vomit all over a taxi at the weekend, give out how your never doing it again & then repeat it all again the next Friday night.

You should get out more.

• Advertisement

grizzly wrote: »
    If it's a very big part of his life and he feels is getting out of hand, he's probably looking for a bit of support/encouragement. Can't be easy going cold turkey!

Surely if he felt the need for support in giving up gaming he'd have used a forum that wouldnt cater to previous "addiction".

I'm looking at this from the point of view of somebody giving up drinking and telling a bunch of alcho's about it. Seems pointless to me to announce in that fashion, or even announce at all.

Jeez give the poor feller a break , who stoll your biscuit this morning

you stole my biscuits, i know it was you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,491 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I stole your sweet roll

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Surely if he felt the need for support in giving up gaming he'd have used a forum that wouldnt cater to previous "addiction".

I'm looking at this from the point of view of somebody giving up drinking and telling a bunch of alcho's about it. Seems pointless to me to announce in that fashion, or even announce at all.

Not really. It would be like someone who posts on the drinks forum regularly finding themselves being consumed by the hobby and at risk of becoming an alcoholic announcing that they felt the need to stop for a while to their peers, until they get their life in order. Often becoming addicted to something is to help escape your problems and maybe others are in a similar situation as the OP.

Best of luck OP, hopefully you get yourself sorted soon!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,166 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Let the lad give up games if he wants to give up games! If you end up doing something more productive with your time fair play to you.

I sometimes after playing games, while I enjoy it at the time, I feel it was time not very well spent (especially time sinky games, like pro evolution, Dayz, minecraft etc) and I wish I had done something more productive like write an app or something. I most of the time wouldn't enjoy writing apps more than gaming (unless im working on something meaty) but the enjoyment I get out of it is much longer lasting.

So I repeat myself, good luck to you, but make sure you spend your now extra free time doing something worthwhile!

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Not really. It would be like someone who posts on the drinks forum regularly finding themselves being consumed by the hobby and at risk of becoming an alcoholic announcing that they felt the need to stop for a while to their peers, until they get their life in order. Often becoming addicted to something is to help escape your problems and maybe others are in a similar situation as the OP.

Best of luck OP, hopefully you get yourself sorted soon!

If you say so.. i still think it's a pat on the back he's looking for, but that's probably me being a cynical cnut on a monday afternoon too :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

Well done and best of luck with it. Dayz made me think about doing something similar myself so now I try to play other more rewarding "quick fix" games on work nights. Playing with friends on teamspeak makes it feel a bit more healthy (in a Norm from Cheers kind of way :) )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Very interesting idea, i think allot of us are so use to the steam sales era we have been overly spoiled. I have so many games to play its crazy :), however i wouldnt be as extreme as to get rid of them all but its quite interesting to see.

I would point out though that this might not have the impact you want, if you picked a single player game i could understand the point of what you have done but an MMO is traditionally a time sync. I personally find that its not the quantity of games i have at times but the MMO type games that take up my time.

Please keep us updated OP i am interested to see how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Seems very extreme but Im not judging. Luckily Im too lazy to even go overboard on the things I love in life. I love games, but manys the evening I will say to myself "Ah fúck it, I cant be arsed with that tonight, Ill just browse the web or watch tv"
    I imagine if I was very motivated to play tonnes of games and the hobby was eating into the rest of my life, I would probably go cold turkey too. Im an all or nothing sort of person when it comes to giving up things.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭mrm

When our first child arrived I gave up gaming for about 6 to 7 years to devote my attention to shared parenthood. When the second child arrived I informed herself that I have taught her all she needs to know to raise our children without my assistance and to just get on with it:D, allowing me to return to gaming.

So months later, after I regained consciousness, I purchased a next gen console. Switching it on made me feel like a kid starting gaming for the first time again. I probably play more now than previously, but in a controlled manner. Looking back it was the right decision. There is no loss leaving gaming aside for a while, games do not go off. It is easy to return to and you can still continue buying games in the Steam sales and not play them - same as any active gamer:D.

Gaming is a geat pastime, but unlike something like listening to music it requires all your attention, prohibiting you from doing other activities simultaneously. It can also be a serious time sink.

OP, it sounds like you are making a good decision at this stage in your life. If circumstances change you can easily return to gaming, maybe with a more controlled approach. Best of luck OP.

On a related note, reading some of the ridiculous responses on this thread there a certainly a few others who could possibly benefit from a similar approach as the OP, maybe just to acquire a little bit of perspective in life!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

If you say so.. i still think it's a pat on the back he's looking for, but that's probably me being a cynical cnut on a monday afternoon too :)

Maybe ;) Lucky for the OP I'm not a monday-friday worker :D

In fairness if he came in saying that he was quitting because it was a stupid childish hobby or started telling others they should quit too then I'd understand any aggravation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

I felt like games were taking up way more of my time than they should (work-home-games-bed) so instead of giving stuff away (you'll awlays want what you cant have, you'll be breakin down that door soon for some sweet sweet gaming) i just filled up my day with other things instead aka gettin back in the gym and going on (extra)jogs to get super fit for football.

Gaming is probably one of the cheapest hobbies you can have (if your sane)*. I'd say i spend about...150 on games a year?

*Terms and conditions apply, rig not included.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,616 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I'll be buried with my games!

That can arranged, and we can did the games up afterwards too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    It has become painfully clear that I play too many video games

I'm sorry... I don't understand the concept... :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Vault Boy

Really want to play Arma 2, my laptop sucks though.
    Oh well.

Advertisement